DIY hot/cold smoker advice...?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY hot/cold smoker advice...?
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 10:05am
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wouldn't mind some advice on making a hot/cold diy smoker out of an old filing cabinet we have lying around at work..

Plan was to whack a ply door on it and plumb in one of the those Smokai or UFO cold smoke generators....assuming these work well thats the cold side of things sorted...

For hot smoking im a bit unsure the best way to add a heat source so any advice would be much appreciated..

There is no base so was thinking of attaching a metal base on the bottom and have that sitting over an lpg burner rings or one of those portable gas stoves and add wood chips directly onto the metal base?

Also it is painted inside aswell...will this be a problem? or can i just smoke it out a few times to break it in..

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to smoking so any advice would be appreciated..

cheers rosewood  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 1:35pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you're going to use it for hot smoking I'd get rid of the paint. Can you build a good fire underneath it a burn the crap out of it for a while, until all the paint peels off? I would imagine it would taint the taste if not be toxic.
I've got a wooden cabinet that I use for hot and cold smoking. The heat source is one of those cast iron LPG ring burners from bunnings, I got the doublet ring version and usually only use the small centre ring. The smoke source is the UFO smoke generator, I use this when hot and cold smoking. Its goes really well, although the little pump is playing up on me at the moment so need to fix that. There is another brand of these things about the same price called Smokai (?). These things are really efficient on the wood chips and will run for up to 5-6 hours on one fill.
One of the members on here had a great idea recently, he bought a cheap tool box from supercheap and stood it up like a cabinet so the lid acts as a door a door, and then used cheap oven racks in it - looked great I reckon. Have a look through these forums there is heaps of advice on here. More than welcome to come checkout my (slightly rough) smoker if you're ever up our way man. Maybe next time your on your way to Roheet point!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 3:55pm
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Wayne...rekon you could post a pic of your rig?

Yeah not to sure about the paint inside..but then ive heard alot of people using old cabinets as smokers so go figure..maybe just as easy to knock up a wooden cabinet..

How have you set your lpg burner up? is it inside the cabinet itself?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 4:24pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check this thread out rosewood http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/show-us-yer-smoka_topic47173.html 

There is a LOT of cool setups in there and helped me when I was building a ply smoker.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

.. small lpg burner in the bottom... chips in a old cake in above  75 to 100mm vent in to experiment what works best.. that will give u 3 to 4 hrs at least smoking and temps from around 40 to way high
Ply door works...strengthen for warp...a bead on the inside then rtv to form perfect seal...good bead on the door and Vaseline on the frame, close leave for 24 hrs
But u wil be very disappointed using a 2 or 3 draw when comes to space
And comments above on burning the paint.. a definite must.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

I'll see if I can find some pic's of it I took just after I finished (looks a lot nicer then than it does now!) I used macrocarpa tongue and groove panels that I found on trademe so it would last without having to use treated the wood. I tried to stay away from anything treated or glued etc, like ply or decking timber, but I've seen plenty of examples on here using these materials and haven't heard any terrible results from them? The gas ring is inside the box and there are plenty of small holes in the box to help keep the heat down (my biggest problem) the small size of it means managing the heat is difficult.
My next mod on it will be to lift the box higher and put the ring in a tin box underneath the wooden box and have a layer of those BBQ brickette/ hot stone things in-between to diffuse the heat a bit, and make more of the box usable, not just the two racks. 
 Not exactly sure how this will look, need a rainy day and some serious shed time.
As steps said the small size will quickly become a disappointment when you want to fill it up. I can only get 4 big KY into mine at the moment, hoping the mod will improve this.
I'll track down those pics tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:59pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is the El cheapo - supercheap toolbox smoker

and cold smoke generator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 8:52am
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys thanks for all the advice/tips...have decided its probably not worth the effort trying to get this cabinet setup especially if the size is going to be a let down in the long run...prob easier just to buy a purpose built one..

rosewood
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Rosewood, sorry mate its taken me a while to find these pics, hope it shows you how I've got it setup. Pretty basic but does a good job. 
Have you gone with an off the shelf unit? not a bad idea, they have done all the tuning and fault finding already!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 9:57am
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Wayne,

Nah haven't purchased anything yet, really need to start catching some fish again first! new addition to the family has put a hold on the fishing unfortunately... 

Really like what you've done though, if i was to build one I think id do something similar..where did you source the racks from? they from a wide model oven?

Cheers for posting the pics..will pick your brains a bit more when I get a bit more time on my hands to make something..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 4:21pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If u do purchase one of the cheaper cabinet types like those at warehouse.. identical to more expensive models elseware
Go back thru my posts on smokers.. a few basic mods to enable cold smoking and do so for long hrs unattended...extra rack better seals  cake tin etc
the post has pics how tos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 2:04pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whatever you do just dont use plywood
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 11:15am
Platinum
Platinum

The racks I found at Save Barn, I found the racks first and built the cabinet to fit. They are a bit light weight though so next time I might go heavier stainless or maybe not so wide. (At the time there was quite a few second hand over racks on trade me as well, but these ones were pretty cheap and brand new)
I would make the cabinet taller too, to take more racks and easier access. This one is good for me at the moment though as I seldom have more fish to smoke that I can do in one sitting. 
 I hang a loose sheet of tin foil under the lowest rack to stop the direct heat from the hob cooking the bottom layer of fish too quick. If I have only one rack full I put a flat oven dish with water in it on the bottom tray. Next time I'd make a specific rack/space for the water tray.
Another design flaw is the difficulty in getting the gas hob in and out, so I tend to leave it in place. Its been left outside a few times now so its starting to rust already.

I shopped around for everything to try and make it as cheap as possible:

Gas hob from Bunnings.
Temp Gauge from GSL East Tamaki.
Macrcarpa T&G timber from Cypress Sawmill in Silverdale (cheap bundle for sale on trade me) - like fish i above, I kept clear of anything treated or laminated/glued.
UFO Cold smoke generator from Hunting and Fishing - I had some H&F vouchers to spend, otherwise I was going to try and make one of these things myself. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To get temps low enough for a cold smoke  its easier with
a larger cabinet/ volume..
must have water tray.. big enough as not go dry over at least 8 to 10 hrs
Excellent seals
Smaller burner  (or modified LPG regulator) espec if outside.. than even the size one sees in the shop ones... a burner even the size one sees in the retail units, to cold smoke below 50 degs, the flame has to be turned down so low , the slightest breeze under the air intake will blow the flame out... and to get it that low requires modification of the lpg regulator to get it that low.
A small or maybe the next size up (max) one gets on a kitchen hob will stil give enough heat for a hot smoke and big enough flame to be stable in a slight intermittent breeze.
Air flow.. the size of the exit at the top and the length / height of any chimney / ducting.
And a cake tin and lid for wood chips ro last at least 4 to 6 hrs... NEEDS a lid to restrict oxygen to the smouldering enough so dont form ash.. burn to charcoal only... charcoal to ash gives off a lot of heat, consumes the chips faster and a bitter taste.

I have experimented and modded extensively a retail cabinant type all of the above...I still have the slightly too large burner so getting below about 38 is impossible, regardless on other changes....and the unit works inside, with ducting so a breeze is not an issue.. but a sweeping the floor around and turbulence from the broom is enough to put the flame out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bing01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 12:12am
bing01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

Hey Rosewood, sorry mate its taken me a while to find these pics, hope it shows you how I've got it setup. Pretty basic but does a good job. 
Have you gone with an off the shelf unit? not a bad idea, they have done all the tuning and fault finding already!
uploads/81090/IMG_0696.JPG

uploads/81090/IMG_0697.JPG
uploads/81090/IMG_0698.JPG

hello, im make cold smoke generator like in second picture. i have a problem with soke generator becouse it just stop smoking after 20 min becouse wood dust not folling down, it stay on horizontal pipe(smoke way). my firing hole is 1 cm from down. i see on pisture firing hole is right with smoke pipe. is there any plans of size pipes and holes??
sorry for english, hope understandSmile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 2:33pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bing01 bing01 wrote:

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

uploads/81090/IMG_0696.JPG

uploads/81090/IMG_0697.JPG
uploads/81090/IMG_0698.JPG

hello, im make cold smoke generator like in second picture. i have a problem with soke generator becouse it just stop smoking after 20 min becouse wood dust not folling down, it stay on horizontal pipe(smoke way). my firing hole is 1 cm from down. i see on pisture firing hole is right with smoke pipe. is there any plans of size pipes and holes??
sorry for english, hope understandSmile

With the smoke generator you need to use coarse chips NOT saw dust. I use a small blow torch to really get it going and no problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 11:48am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've added a Smokai to my cabinet with success and use UFO chips from Topcatch
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 11:56am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Walu did those racks come with smoker or did you source them local.
I am looking out for racks for a new smoker.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 12:18pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My supplier custom made 10 smokers(401s/s) for resale which I marketed. He's no longer in business sorry.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount