Choosing the right braid for jigging?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boomduggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing the right braid for jigging?
    Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:08pm
boomduggie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All,

the following all refers to jigging for Kingfish and Groper around the Top Of the South Island (TOS).

I have been wanting to set myself up with a decent jigging combo for quite some time, and have decided now is the time. I have purchased an accurate combo, good reel / OK rod (figured the best way to go with a moderate budget in mind - the rod isn't terrible, but not top-of-the-line and can be upgraded in the future). Anyway, the one thing I am stuck on is choice of braid... I have done a fair bit of googling, and asking around at tackle stores, but still can't make up my mind. The reel capacity it a hugely limiting factor, it's supposed to hold 300 m of 65lb braid, but what does that really mean when "65lb" can mean any number of line diameters (not to mention actual breaking strains).

I think that it probably refers to 0.381 mm braid, as this appears to be the most common (stated) standard among top quality 65 lb braids.

Side note: I think that 300 m is a minimum is I want to even semi-seriously consider targeting Groper. So I think I am going to have to opt for a line no bigger than 0.381 mm (Im thinking PE4-PE5).

Can anyone tell me is there an advantage in going for an 8 stranded braid over a 4 or 6 stranded braid? Also, is there any merit in going for a hollow core braid? (which will allow splicing to the leader with virtually no "knot bump" - yes I realise a PR knot is very streamlined also, which is really why I am asking because I don't know what is better?).

Also, those with experience jigging around here (TOS), how important is having rainbow braid? There are more options if not limiting myself to metered braid.

Any advice on any of these questions would be awesome, and greatly appreciated. I am keen to learn, and do things right from the out-set.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:31pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some good suggestions on this thread:

http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/braid-for-your-buck_topic107032_post1526727.html?KW=#1526727

Its from the topwater section but the Gosen braid sounds the go, not that I've used it though.

What size reel did you get?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:32pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

And just use a PR knot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boomduggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:36pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Stonefish Stonefish wrote:

Some good suggestions on this thread:

http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/braid-for-your-buck_topic107032_post1526727.html?KW=#1526727

Its from the topwater section but the Gosen braid sounds the go, not that I've used it though.

What size reel did you get?

Cheers Stonefish, I'll check out the thread now. I got the BX600XNN (Xtra Narrow).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:46pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No worries, I got 300m of YGK PE6 on my 600xnn easy, its expensive stuff tho and a few just as good but way cheaper braids around.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote boomduggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:52pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Stonefish Stonefish wrote:

No worries, I got 300m of YGK PE6 on my 600xnn easy, its expensive stuff tho and a few just as good but way cheaper braids around.

So you think if I went PE5 id get close to 400 m on it? Because that would be ideal ...Just incase!!

And cheers for the previous thread, the Gosen stuff looks good, would love if it came in a larger than 300 m spool, as I say, 400 would be great. I notice that Ebay has s#!tloads of sellers selling the YGK in connected 100 m spools, so can get any length you want (in multiples of 100 obviously).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:15pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A lot of Braid spools come in 300m or 600m........400m is a funny number.
I use YGK X 8 jigman braid in PE6 and PE8..........also i use Diawa boat braid.....that comes in 300m 600 1200 and 1800 metre spools.....I use PE6 in this which is 80 pound.......Both of the above are good.......I use 300 m on two different reels and use backing on both my 4000P and 5000P......300 metres is enough......if you get bust you can top shot or of it looks ugly........you can take it off and respool with another 300 metres spool......if you buy a 1800 metre spool... you could fill your reel 4 times and have 200 metres over for top shot.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boomduggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:26pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

A lot of Braid spools come in 300m or 600m........400m is a funny number.
I use YGK X 8 jigman braid in PE6 and PE8..........also i use Diawa boat braid.....that comes in 300m 600 1200 and 1800 metre spools.....I use PE6 in this which is 80 pound.......Both of the above are good.......I use 300 m on two different reels and use backing on both my 4000P and 5000P......300 metres is enough......if you get bust you can top shot or of it looks ugly........you can take it off and respool with another 300 metres spool......if you buy a 1800 metre spool... you could fill your reel 4 times and have 200 metres over for top shot.

Can you notice any difference in diameter between the two? YGK and Diawa Boat braid are two of the more common I have come across in my net surfing, Also do you have a preference between them?

And yeah, I realise that 400 m is an odd number, but I just feel that if I have 400 m, I am far less likely to get spooled when fishing in 250 m for Groper, which with any kind of current could mean 300 m + line out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 86mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:31pm
86mad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just my experience but I've got 460m of 65lb whiplash on mine that I use for hapuka occasionaly but is 95% jigging in 100m or less
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 3:50am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The diawa boat braid is rainbow and you can buy bulk spools of 1200 metre off e bay usa and it works out very good value.......PE6 would be fine.......its the best value for money going.
When i first started jigging i used Pauls fishing kites white braid and i caught plenty of fish with it..........but if you are using 400 gram plus jigs you can only guess what the depth is.....with the rainbow you can drop the jig 10 metres either side of where the skipper says is "Action time"...........when using heavy jigs ......you will appreciate that ! .....Just make sure you pack the braid on tight........If you plan of doing a lot of jigging diawa 1200m spool is the way to go but i have bought 300 metre spools off e bay usa and pretty reasonable price....even with rip off usa postage fees.
I like both YGK and Daiwa........I dont use anything else to jig with and have found the YGK is very strong....Its also an 8 carrier braid which is smoother and tougher than 4 or 6 carrier braid......PR knot is best for 8 carrier braid.They are both 80 pound braid......Not sure which is thinner.Both available in PE5.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:06am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just for reference Ive managed 350 metres of the PE6 daiwa boat braid on my 600xn slammer.

Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boomduggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:51am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Fizz Fizz wrote:

Just for reference Ive managed 350 metres of the daiwa boat braid on my 600xn slammer.

PE5 or PE6?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:55am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Doh! Forgot to state it! Pe6
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 4:21pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

300m of braid on a jigging reel is "normal".  Sorry, no gentle way to say but if you wanted the reel to double for Puka, then you should have considered a larger reel.  Dropping down in braid size is the only way you are going to squeeze more braid on.  You should also be aware that thinner braids have far less abrasion resistance than thicker, heavier braid.  Bottom fishing for Puka is normally around reefy structure so beware.

Take a look at the Jig Star Katana braid which is available in 300m 500m and 1000m. A PE6 500m spool will cost about $160.  Katana is a tight, round 8-carrier multi-coloured braid.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boomduggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 4:32pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

300m of braid on a jigging reel is "normal".  Sorry, no gentle way to say but if you wanted the reel to double for Puka, then you should have considered a larger reel.  Dropping down in braid size is the only way you are going to squeeze more braid on.  You should also be aware that thinner braids have far less abrasion resistance than thicker, heavier braid.  Bottom fishing for Puka is normally around reefy structure so beware.

Take a look at the Jig Star Katana braid which is available in 300m 500m and 1000m. A PE6 500m spool will cost about $160.  Katana is a tight, round 8-carrier multi-coloured braid.

Hey it's all good, I don't take any offence, and TBH the Groper were a bit more of an after thought. I already have 2 decent deep water sets, but not ideal for jigging... 

Think I'll probably go with ~300 m, but still deciding if PE6 or PE8 would be best... I'm thinking PE8 because it will retain a better breaking strain over time, yes? Also, will offer extra abrasion resistance... 

OR is PE8 overkill? Would PE6 allow greater flexibility in the other direction? i.e. <100 m jigging for snapper?

If I go this route, is there anyone who has tried many different braids? If so, is there an obvious choice? Otherwise I will probably go with whatever is cheapest between YGK WX8, Diawa Saltiga Boat Braid, Gosen braid, or Jigstar Katana... They all seem to get above average reviews.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 4:43pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I've jigging a couple times TOS but speak to Troy Dando who is the expert there.
If you want at least 300m on the 600XNN, you have little choice but to go with PE6 braid.   Above braids are a selection of probably the better jigging braids available so take your choice.  YGK Ultra WX8 is probably the best but also the most expensive.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 9:22pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have daiwa boat braid in pe4 on accurate bx400 xn and pe6 on maxel f60h. Very nice braid. Much better than the crap varivas max 10x10.  that braid broke WELL below expected and was thick for a pe5. Can fit same amount.  of pe6 daiwa braid on the same reel. Daiwa boat braid pe6 is meant to break at 95lb or so which is heaps