Looking for a new captain

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a new captain
    Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 5:46am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm pretty sure this boat is need of a new captain and mate. Bit of a **** up! A 35 knot squall came through on friday night with a nice 180 wind change. I though it was bad in our anchorage a mile north of where this guy was. He must have dragged 2-300m to end up on the beach.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:56am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yikes, and in only 35 knots even with a 180 shift, back to the Anchoring 101 course for that skipper!

Do you guys routinely use anchor watch settings on your radars or GPS? Or onlywhen adverse conditions are expected?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:51am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I personally do every single time we anchor, takes literally 1 minute to setup 3 different alarms on my boat.

I imagine this particular boat had no crew on anchor watch or any alarms set up. they bounced of several small sailboats when they started to drag and no body was answering any radio calls for 2 hours!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:54am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Buga!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 12:24pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So many people on boats of all sizes anchor in apparently benign conditions without thought for what "might" happen.

Guy behind me on the marina anchored for the wind he could see and the forecast but it went 180 during the night and although he didn't drag he had simply anchored too close to the rocks and when he swung in the wind he did a considerable amount of damage to the sternleg and the hull.

Always anchor for the worst that can happen is my approach. We have just spent two months on the Northland Coast in the best summer conditions I can recall in the last 20 years. Almost every night was below 10 knots (we came back to Auckland just before the cyclone!), but, I still anchored for 50 knots every night. I have had plenty of forecasts of 15 turns into 50 and that is no fun if you have to start moving, avoiding boats and re-anchoring in 30 knots+ in the dark!

We don't run the GPS or Radar overnight at anchor simply because of power consumption but I have played with a number of cellphone apps that claim to provide an anchor watch service, have yet to find one that I would rely on. On a boat our size (36Ft) we will "feel" a major wind shift pretty quickly and be up and checking what's happening but that wouldn't be as easy on a large vessel I presume.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:50pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had my share of drags.now prepare for the worst.i find a bay with thick mud if I doubt the forecast.yes had some interesting retrievals.man o war bay got a old cable.nothing that 1hr did not fix
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 3:36pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nothing helps me sleep easier on board than knowing youve got a big hook out with plenty of scope
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 4:14pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It must annoy the owner a hell of a lot, and especially his insurance company when they mess a paint job like that!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 5:31pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

I have had my share of drags.now prepare for the worst.i find a bay with thick mud if I doubt the forecast.yes had some interesting retrievals.man o war bay got a old cable.nothing that 1hr did not fix

Be careful of Drags, as you may pick something up Wink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 5:46pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We don't run the GPS or Radar overnight at anchor simply because of power consumption

Dont know about radar.. but a basic gps + sounder + radio+ 16 to 20 Watts of florescence lights+ anchor light will all run fine over night on a elcheapo battery starter pack.. and have anchor drift and depth warnings turned on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:03pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

We don't run the GPS or Radar overnight at anchor simply because of power consumption

Dont know about radar.. but a basic gps + sounder + radio+ 16 to 20 Watts of florescence lights+ anchor light will all run fine over night on a elcheapo battery starter pack.. and have anchor drift and depth warnings turned on

Well just the 12 inch Raymarine screen (E120 Hybrid Touch) with GPS, DSM300(powers up as soon as unit is turned on) pulls more than 7 amps so overnight say 10 hours is an extra 70 amp hours out of my 510 amphours of battery which would severely limit my ability to sit in a bay for a couple of days without burning diesel through a 200hp motor just to run a 150 amp alternator to put the amps back in.

Did you read the bit where I am out away from a power source for a couple of months?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:28pm
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A boat that size at anchor should have an officer on the bridge watching through the night I would have thaught
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:36pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by samax samax wrote:

A boat that size at anchor should have an officer on the bridge watching through the night I would have thaught

Got it in one samax. Plenty of battery power to run a GPS & sounder too, even if they don't run a genny overnight.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:48pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

buuggger
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:40pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

no excuse for a boat that size in this day an age with the electronics we have now,
infact the newest stuff could have just about up anchour moved a to a safer location without the help of anyone.
you can park a car without human intervention just by pushing a button cant see why they cant do that with a boat.
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 5:50am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SaltyC I have an old laptop loaded with Nobeltec software. all I need is an external gps plugin and I have an anchor alarm wherever I need to sleep on the boat. We also have a deafening alarm in the crew cabins through a ray marine system and my furuno system has an alarm which I have setup with a cheap voice activated hand held radio.

For power consumption concerns the laptop is awesome. The initial setup cost a bit but once setup all you need to do is make sure the laptop is charged.

I don't know the story for the boat pictured above but I am sure someones head is on the chopping block for not having a watch keeper or alarms on. There were 70 boats on anchor in that particular anchorage!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:00am
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Well just the 12 inch Raymarine screen (E120 Hybrid Touch) with GPS, DSM300(powers up as soon as unit is turned on) pulls more than 7 amps so overnight say 10 hours is an extra 70 amp hours out of my 510 amphours of battery which would severely limit my ability to sit in a bay for a couple of days without burning diesel through a 200hp motor just to run a 150 amp alternator to put the amps back in.

Did you read the bit where I am out away from a power source for a couple of months?

If that system is running 7 A with the backlight turned down, then there is something severely wrong.
0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:14am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Is that drag queens there Paul?LOL

Reckon they need to deploy these anchors...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:47am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bay Marine Electronics Bay Marine Electronics wrote:

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Well just the 12 inch Raymarine screen (E120 Hybrid Touch) with GPS, DSM300(powers up as soon as unit is turned on) pulls more than 7 amps so overnight 

If that system is running 7 A with the backlight turned down, then there is something severely wrong.

An interesting point that I hadn't thought too much about!

What is running automatically when I power up the E120: display, GPS rec, DSM300 with B260, heading sensor, ethernet bus, hmmmm more research required ......

And, mozz, interesting re laptop. I used to have nobeltech visual mariner on a laptop as a backup GPS in pre smart phone days, but the old version of software I have requires  a dongle on the parallel port and modern laptops don't have one of those anymore. The cost to upgrade the software just for backup use was way too high so I stopped using it. Again, more investigation req'd..... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 11:15am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Garry, USB dongles are easy to source nowdays. my personal laptop with nobeltec has every trip I have done in the last 6 years including 2 trans atlantics, 3 panama canal transits and a ridiculous amount of miles logged in the Caribbean. I am averaging about 200nm a week at the moment and its great to look back on previous anchorages and way points etc using a mouse instead of scrolling through a gps! Furuno and raymarine suck for this big time hence my love for garmin gear. My hand held garmin has faster scrolling than my brand new furuno!
Page  12>