Oakura Taranaki

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oakura Taranaki
    Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:13pm
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey, was just wondering what the land base fishing is like around this area. Heading down to Oakura camp ground for easter weekend and would love to do a little fishing.

Just any general information on places to try in the vicinity of this area would be great :)

Cheers,

Josh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:51pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Head just south of oakura to ahu ahu road and follow ya nose from there. Lots of reefy points/outcrops and areas that all hold snapper.. some of them xos size. Be prepared to lose some gear. Failing that there is plenty of easy options fishing of the beaches that can produce
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 2:51pm
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, cheers for the heads up pirate. What type of rig are you fishing there mate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 3:42pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've had a couple of good sessions at Komini Rd (sp?) south of Okato - snaps & KY. Not sure what tide is best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 3:55pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep komene road is good too. I dont surfcast much these days as i have a boat but a few mates still do it hard. As for rigs i just used to use a 4-6 oz teardrop running rig on 10kg mainline to swivel then 40 pd trace a metre or so. Single 5/0 recurve hook as its foul territory generally. On the odd occasion i do go, now i use bos 4-6oz sinkers reef or sand and either running rig or  a 3 way swivel with small dropper snd sinker on bottom. There is oodles of spots to pick in relation to wind and swell. check a map and you will suss it. good luck, put some pics up if you nail a couple of goodies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:07pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As these guys have said
Corbett park has also been producing, (trevs, snaps and KY) can get mussels there on the low. Komene straight off the end of the rd or down near the reef to the left.
The Naki has so many options and some of the best surfcasting in NZ
I'm away up in sth Auckland working at the mo but flick me a message if you want.
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.