Trout on poppers???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote qsilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trout on poppers???
    Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 8:45pm
qsilver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi wondering if anyone has had luck of catching a trout on a popper ? If so what size brand colour and how they cast. I.e up stream ect
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote qsilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:30am
qsilver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barra10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:08pm
Barra10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I brought a few in Aus, berkley pop dogs are the only one I can remember the name of. Have caught a few fishing them along the edges of weed beds early morning, guess they mistake them for a frog
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:01pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have caught a few fish now on fly - fishing large deer hair frogs (slowly), coming off the weed edges, so I don't see why not. I doubt you'd get many out in the open, but certainly early morning and dusk cast at weed edges (you need to be very accurate) and slowly twitched out 2-3m then repeat - you have to "think like a fish to catch fish", and frogs and mice are the only targets I would seek to imitate. However there are far more reliable methods for catching trout. i.e. Rapala's.

In a river, there are some floating Cicada (and mouse) imitations that  that can be (retrieved) across the surface on spin gear, presuming you are spinning? Martin Simpson's 16lber from 4-5 weeks ago was taken on a floating mouse imitation retrieved across the surface on spin gear... hand-carved from balsawood, so why not!! Not fished like traditional poppers, but more slowly for trout like bloopers.

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 11:05am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tiemco tiny cicada and berkely scum dogs have caught me most of my surface trout, any small cicada imitation or small stickbait will do the job, I also have some small soft mice I want to try out when I move to nz next week!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 7:57am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Clark's Cicada is used quite extensively in the US as a small Mouth Bass pattern blooped in the surface.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier