Disgusting Behaviour

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote NZFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:02am
NZFisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My understanding is, it is illegal to dump fish at sea, but specifically on a beach:

The Litter Act 1979 states that litter shall include "animal remains, waste matter or anything of a like nature" and instant fines of up to $400 can be issued for anyone caught depositing litter onto any public place.

Because; Fish and shellfish waste often involves fish frames and shells such as kina or oyster shells. These are considered "dangerous litter" as they involve sharp objects that can easily cause injuries to anyone walking on the beach or estuary areas.

And from the Act istelf: 

Offences and penalties

15Deposit of litter in public place or on private land
  • (1)Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction, in the case of an individual, to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or, in the case of a body corporate, to a fine not exceeding $20,000, who deposits any litter or, having deposited any litter, leaves it—

• (a)in or on a public place; or

• (b)in or on private land without the consent of its occupier.

(1A)Subsection (1) is subject to subsection (2).

(2)Where any person commits an offence against subsection (1), and the litter deposited is of such a nature as is likely to endanger any person or to cause physical injury or disease or infection to any person coming into contact with it (being in particular any bottle whether broken or not, glass, article containing glass, sharp or jagged material, or any substance of a toxic or poisonous nature) that person is liable on conviction—

IMO It's poor form and dumping at a beach should be discouraged. If everyone did it, like on holiday at at Christmas and the likes, the beaches we're all so proud of would end up looking like ****e. It's disrespectful tot he fish (wasting those frames) and to the public we share the beach with.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:20am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well put ohsif.Clap

And ALOb--this thread has no value and he has done nothing illegal. You surely must be having us on.
This guys actions say alot about him. That he would drive down to the water rather than walk to dump his rubbish would not put him at the top of the fitness scale. Total slob.Probably also dumps his junk on the road side expecting the council to pick it up at Ratepayers expense.

This is an offence which carries a fine. To  do do this on a popular bathing beach in full view and in daylight is beyond belief. Rotting fish frames can be dangerous if stood on.

If you dont think this guys actions are  wrong then  i suggest you get some snapper frames and  jump on them with bare feet. Just make sure you have plenty set aside to pay for the ongoing medical treatment. This could include life threatening blood poisoning  if your immune system is not strong plus a lot of pain.
And afterward your opinion may change

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:25am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agree it should of been dumped elsewhere. Better the frames going back into the eco system rather than a land fill.
And those of you comenting on the size of the fish pfffft ........ how the hell do you know how big they are. No right to comment on that really.

Really starting to get quite tired of these Efn keyboard warriors and crititcs, some reall dorks starting to turn up on this forum these days. WackoThumbs Down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:28am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Very well put ohsif.Clap

And ALOb--this thread has no value and he has done nothing wrong. You surely must be having us on.
This guys actions say alot about him. That he would drive down to the water rather than walk to dump his rubbish would not put him at the top of the fitness scale. Total slob.Probably also dumps his junk on the road side expecting the council to pick it up at Ratepayers expense.

This is an offence which carries a fine. To  do do this on a popular bathing beach in full view and in daylight is beyond belief. Rotting fish frames can be dangerous if stood on.

If you dont think this guys actions are  wrong then  i suggest you get some snapper frames and  jump on them with bare feet. Just make sure you have plenty set aside to pay for the ongoing medical treatment. This could include life threatening blood poisoning  if your immune system is not strong plus a lot of pain.
And afterward your opinion may change

Well said, i gave a few jokers the same message about filleting there fish at our local ramp in Whangamata a few years ago. They were throwing the frames straight back into the water where everyone launches their boats, carcass floating everywhere, as well as being dangerous to those that stand on a carcass, they end up a stinking mess.
Just had a mate that lost his arm which became infected from a snapper spike. Ouch
So please dispose of frames well out to sea or use as manure
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:31am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Far out Kevin that is a real hard luck story man.

Just on a side not whats the rules about filleting your fish out at sea? Does anyone know?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:38am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes can fillet your. Catch but to avoid mpi hassle.it is suggested to bring smallest frame home
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:41am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess the right thing to of done with fish frame dumper would of been to suggest to him!her do you think it is right to leave where people swim.then again get a punch for effort though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:13pm
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

I guess the right thing to of done with fish frame dumper would of been to suggest to him!her do you think it is right to leave where people swim.then again get a punch for effort though.

I did suggest to this person that dumping his frames on the beach wasn't really on in a non emotive way. He insisted he was doing nothing wrong and “it’s only fish”, before giving me some verbal abuse and a salute as he drove off in a hurry. Neither of which I responded to. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:32pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done ohsif
Regardless of whether this is legal or not it sums up the attitude of far to many these days and why we have a growing problem in society and constant laws because people don't care about others.
Inconsiderate w***er
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:58pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is a daily occurence at the One tree Point ramp. So much so that the council and the local paper asked people to refrain as the scraps were attracting sharks to the area where children often swim. On one afternoon last year (I think) 5 bronzies were spotted from the ramp.

Seriously how hard would it be to walk the stuff out a bit and dump it in deeper water at low tide.

It friggin stinks and is totally antisocial, I for one think you did the right thing. Good Onya.Clap 
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:41pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yes it doesn't take long for sharks and rays to learn were a free feed can be obtained,
last thing you want is either swimming around when your launching or retrieving your boat, someone could end up with a nasty spike in their leg or calf bitten off,
people should re-frame from throwing their "waste" in anywhere close to shore because in the end that's what it would be classed as "waste" regardless, plus its an eye saw which no one visiting these beaches needs to put up with... 
can you imaging your kids jumping of this wharf while these are swimming under foot,
no one jumps in the sea at this jetting,

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK so what do you do when.

Your freezer is chocka.
Rubbish day is 5 days away.
You been let down by a person who says they will pick up the heads and frames!
And you have no room in your fridge to keep the frames and head in top nick.
Your garden has no where to bury them.

To me the sensible place to "bury" them is back where they come from and feed the eco system they came from. 

Any other suggestions?

Also all the guys who run over possums, rabbit and hedgehogs should pick up their litter too. And hunters who shoot animals for fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:03pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what you do when you have no room ? ,for most people that would be hard to believe that you even cant find a spot in their  backyard .If you have to dump It ,do it in a place  where people arnt going to stumble across it ,off some rocks or a wharf . on a public beach where children play and people swim is not the thing to do .How would you feel if you stood on the frame of a careless fisherman who throws his rubbish on the main street as so to speak,or your child ..think about it
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:13pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our pet eels don't mind the odd fish head .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Muppet, I think the whole point is that we should be a little thoughtful about where you return them to the sea. A busy beach is not a thoughtful place.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:52pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds like a bunch of weak excuses to me, just don't do it.
I do know of one instance to the North where the fish scraps were collected up and delivered in a pile back to the offenders front door along with suitable abuse. I wasn't involved but it still cheers me up. It cured the problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:05pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How hard is it to freeze the frames and throw them over as burley next time you go out?

Or gut at sea and bring home a couple of the smaller pannies?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:23pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing and shellfish

DATED: 27 May 2014

Version: Boating in Northland 2014-2015

Disposal of fish carcasses

Fish carcasses should not be disposed of on or near jetties, wharves, boat ramps and beaches as they can cause nasty injuries if trodden on and lead to poor water quality. If you're filleting fish it's a good idea to take the carcasses away and dispose of them appropriately.

The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A LOAF OF BREAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 4:21am
A LOAF OF BREAD View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

edited.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:12am
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by A LOAF OF BREAD A LOAF OF BREAD wrote:

What is peoples problems?. Seems like many are being brainwashed.

I dont even think i want to be a member of this forum anymore. It seems like most people just like to moan about other peoples fishing habits than there own. Many are probably hypocrites themselves. 

You know what.  I am going to go get my limit of 20lb breeding snappers,  and im not going to release a single one, gut hook them all, and then post a photo of the whole lot on here,  then im going to dump the frames back in the ocean and take a photo.

wah wah. I will give you something to moan about if that is all you want to do.

With an attitude like yours maybe you should be on this forum. Dumping frames in the ocean where they won't wash up is not a problem, I do it all the time. Dumping frames on a popular beach is a problem, and illegal.
Page  <1234>