EPIRB or PLB

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EPIRB or PLB
    Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:48am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing I may be looking at while I'm at the boat show is an EPIRB or PLB, but is there any good reason to choose one over the other?  As far as I can tell the main differences is that EPIRBS are only for use on a boat, are generally larger but have bigger batteries -so presumably function for longer.  A PLB is smaller and can be used on land or at sea, but because of the smaller size don't last as long once activated.  I was looking at the RescueME PLB, and it states a 24 hour operating life.  I'm never going to be far enough offshore that someone couldn't get to me in that timeframe, so is there any other reason to look at an EPIRB instead?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:23pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This from smart marine emailer today.http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/safety/epirbs-plb-s/63089/rescueme-plb1-406mhz-ultra-compact-personal-locato/details/?utm_source=Maxmail&utm_medium=Maxmail&utm_campaign=27%20March%20Featured%20Items

Dale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 2:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have a epirb.3day life.remember once activated do not turn off trying to save battery!need smoke flares to go with epirb due to once seen rescuers you can pin point your location.hope you never need to use it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 2:59pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My epirb pjc has a gps locator so pings location to within 100M and also an infrared strobe that can be seen with night vision equipment (MT400G model) so not all epirbs are equal.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:20pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought that the main difference was the accuracy. an epirb is good for getting the rescuer to the general location then its an eyes open looking whereas a PLB is more accurate ie +/- 10m (depending on quality)  as opposed to +/- 100m (depending on quality) which in the bush is a huge area. could be wrong though 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:31pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would definitely go for one with built in GPS, having watched the mountain rescue show on TV it made a huge difference to how quickly they found people.  And at sea the GPS gives an almost instant position, while the epirbs without GPS can take a while to triangulate the position.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:55pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was looking into these also, liked the idea of that MT400G and its 100m range as apposed to the cheaper version that has a 5km area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 4:32pm
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Both PLB's and EPIRB's are available in GPS or non GPS models. We only sell GPS ones for a couple of reasons -

The main difference is the time taken for the MRC to get your coordinates - if you have a GPS enabled one then they'll have your position within about 10 mins. If non gps they need to wait for the satellite (s) to get a triangulation on your position, which can take up to hours.

The other more obvious difference is the accuracy - gps gets you gps accuracy - 10m or so, where the non gps isn't this accurate. Do note however, both models transmit a homing signal on 121.5MHz for direction finding in closer range.

PLB's need to run for 24hrs straight at any stage during their battery life to be approved, EPIRB's need to run for 48hrs straight during any stage of their battery life, and need to float upright.

If you're mainly coastal then the time thing shouldn't be an issue, but the floating upright might be an issue.

On a slightly different note - when the battery needs replacement, it may still work for plenty of hours (eg it might work for 40 instead of 48hrs) but the important part is the testing they do when replacing the batteries - there's probably been no thorough test of the electronics since the unit was new - literally 6 or 8 years ago.
0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 5:54pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive had a GME MT410 for 7 years - its battery has just expired. Its being replaced with a new one MT410G with gps, for a reduced price. Points - 
- its small enough to carry on the person - at sea I carry it always on me, attached to my life jacket. I think having on you all the time is important, in case something happens suddenly and you don't get the EPIRB. On land (trout fishing, hunting) its in my daypack
- if activated, it lasts at least 48 hours
- I agree that gps is important - reduces search time a lot that could be vital (in the sea I wouldn't last long!).
- it has worked perfectly for 7 years - including being activated when I got bushed and needed rescuing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:27pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is the one I purchased a few months back, 10 years battery life and a bit over $300. Good value for money. While not the smallest PLB on the market, its still very compact. 

http://www.skippersmate.com.au/kti-safety-alert-sa2g-nz-406mhz-plb-personal-locator-beacon/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:36pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got one of those small rescue me ones but that because it fits in my pocket and I use it on multiple boats such as yachting. It's my backup. If I was on one boat then I'd probably look at the other larger options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:42pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

eprib for on the ocean I have  GME  mt 600 G ( Gps model ) PLB is a personal locater and smaller ,less battery life ,
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 8:25am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought the main difference was Epirbs last longer and float, plbs shorter and don't float. They are designed to be used on land. I've got mt600G on my boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 10:58am
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No. Some PLBs float. Mine does. However Epirbs float upright unassisted.
Both can (and most new ones do) come with GPS).
The functionally is exactly the same but Epirbs transmit longer as the have a bigger battery.
Just read Bay Marine Electronics post. Says it all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:08am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some good thoughts on them,still like to have a flare handy due to conditions at times,boats/people hard to see in water.
just a little reminder when stored at home etc they are off,how many times have we heard of a hot water cylinder being rescued(apparently thats where some like to store them)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 4:15pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some PLB's float, or come in a pouch that floats.
Apart from battery life/transmitting time, Í was told that EPIRBs are designed to transmit while floating but PLB's may need to be held upright above the water to transmit properly.
Either way, GPS version is a no-brainer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 5:38pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not wanting to stray off topic too much, but did a bar crossing course last weekend with the Maketu coastguard and they made mention they have directional aerials on their boat so as long as you can communicate with them via vhf then they can pinpoint your location.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:33pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fairly certain all PLB have to float (or be supplied with a floating pouch) to be sold in New Zealand. So if you buy a PLB in New Zealand it would float.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:11pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well a pouch is no good. You could easily drop the thing in an emergency