Bleeding Kahawai

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleeding Kahawai
    Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:25pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was going to add this to the kahawai thread but it is likely to get lost in there.

Given that it is that time of the season and people are likely to start catching some good kahawai I thought I would through this up. It is an old article from Bayfisher magazine on the subject.

It was in PDF format and I may upload that somewhere if people want it. For now, it is images. Just click on them to expand the view in another window.

Personally I bang them on the head and remove the gills. Eat the same day, such as my dinner tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 5:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

As a keen kahawai chomper, I agree mostly with what that article says. I don't really like the idea of cutting the fish' tail. Many years ago I thought I'd try that but when the fish gave a bit of a flick it was my hand that did all the bleeding. A slice through the throat will see blood squirting out, you won't bleed them better than that. If you are rough like me you can just use you finger to break  open their throats.. Iki is a more humane way of killing of course.  Of all fish that need to be iced down and eaten straight away kahawai are top of that heap. IMO snapper are best left a day in the ice.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 5:27pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Millsy & Smudge - 2 questions to clarify can you help?

In article Iki appears to give best result with Kahawai - does this mean to spike brain and cut across gills to bleed out as well?  Or was something else done?

Do you bleed Snapper & Gurnard which article implies improves fish, and if so how?  Just like Kahawai cutting across gills?  Or do you Iki as well?

Thanks
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 6:26pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The iki spike kills the fish and kills of most of the nerve activity that can cause fish moving after death, which can degrade the flesh.

I'd do both. The heart beats after brain death long enough to get the job done.

Then I head gill and gut, before going on ice. But that's just me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:32am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There's certainly no harm in bleeding all fish but I've only ever bothered with trevally, tuna, kings & kahawai. Just spiking the fish and cutting through the gills is all you need to do apart from icing it down.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 5:11am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for your thoughts, Smudge - will have to try bleeding next trevally which incidentally I am very fond of even without bleeding them.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 6:52am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i have found that bleeding kahawai does not taint the taste if you are eating your fish fresh. if on the other hand you are eating from the supermarket where it may be a while before you get to eat it i think it does go off quicker and taint the taste and best bled.