Hydraulic verses cable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic verses cable
    Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:52pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Guys my steering has siezed from lack of use.. i am now wanting to replace and get back o the water. My boat is a 115Hp, 4 stroke, 6 Metres fibreglass.

so far I have repalced two or three of these. Why dont these come with grease points?

Also what cost would i expect?
cheers amanda
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:04pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 6mtr fi-glass and did this last season. ...call me if I can assist.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:18pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

will do, when i a good time?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

DIY, I have a hydraulic system, it failed on me but in the end was an easy fix. Definitely better than cable IMO. Although if taken apart and greased every year a cable system is pretty reliable too and its not that hard to do. Definitely a once a year jobbie though.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Daytime hours are good as I pretty much carry my phone. ...Cheers Pete

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:56pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Boys much appreciated

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 11:45pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yrs ago i had one seize on me just after launching.
Never again
Now I give everything a grease, and/ or spray with a marine crc type product after ever trip pout.. at least a couple days within being out...
The steering non hydrolic I have removed the end cap...put a cupole "O rings under to further water proof....I pull these back, full lock/extend the motor to expose the shaft, and note id any water...none since the O rings installed....re pack and replace the end cap.
Hinges, wheel nuts, roller all get a good spray of marine crc.
Once a yr I disconnect from the motor and back of the steering wheel and re pack.
re packing is not easy...yeah u tube has stuff like hang up and turn with a drill.....
Dont know how well this works, but I do my best to blow as much grease as I can down the cable with the compressor ... thinking next time its off thu to drill and tap and put a couple stainless nipples in.

If its jambed it will be one of 2 things
1/ salt buildup in the engine end .....remove from engine.. tilt up ansd ever few hrs give a spray of non lanlion crc type product.. few pulls and shakes.. even re atach after a while, and not loading the steering wheel to much a little pressure back and forth....If this is the problem it wil break loose.. dismantle from the engine end and clean out the compressed salt.. u may even find u get a bit more turn.
2/ the jamb is in the cable, or area of the cable behind the steering wheel... If so dont even bother repair or fix.. replace, they are about $130 to 160 retail.

Before removing center the wheel and the engine then measure from the clamp that holds the cable at the engine end up under the stern... to the bolt at the engine
Reset the same when  reinstalling.. if u dont it can be a bit 'fiddly' getting equal lock either way on the engine....in saying that.. do not assume the last install was correct.. a slight, adjustment of the notch placement on the under stern bracket/ cable mounting could improve the lock...
I know this because I assumed mine may not be correct and messed around a little... 'correct' was about 1/2 way between 2 adjustment knotches and ended up where originally installed
A friends wasnt, and now can move his stern around far easier when manoeuvring.

Measure the therical length u need and the length of the current one...then get the correct length required or as close as possible... a little to short/ tight or too long and bent means early failure

Its not difficult do, assuming u have basic tools....Spanners etc.

Oh when greasing .. do not use that pale blue elcheapo marine grease..
this could be a cause of problems..... it goes like clay over a suprisingly short time.. as I discoverd the hard way .. no pun intended
Use a reputable brand name.. I use evenrude blue triple guard for stuff around the motor bolts and stuff and the red triple gaurd for wheel bearings
I only use evenrude because have a johnson motor.. and it is my understanding merc, yamaha suzi etc also produce just as reputable products.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 5:43am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As steps says if you have an issue find out where first - disconnect from motor and see if motor or cable/head unit. AS he also points out and I wonder how many problems are caused because cable to tight or loose at original install.

I am happy with cable 9 years on and still on original cable (morse) though I have a smaller motor 50hp - 2 years ago had I problem thought it will be cable turned out the head unit at steering wheel was dry/binding problem was water running down into base of steering wheel. Fitted a dam to keep water out - no problem.
I always store boat with cable retracted to keep it dry - ie motor steering to starboard and apply grease to nipples regularly.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gizzykid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 9:37pm
gizzykid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd recommend hydraulic for sure. I had a cable snap on me (pretty gnarly) so upgraded to hydraulic and it has made a world of difference. 

Went with teleflex seastar and it cost $1100 with all required cables, hydrualic fluid etc. 
Easy to install yourself. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 10:34pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We just put the Seastar hydraulic system in our 6m with a 175 Suzuki on it, what a difference it made from the cable steering. Can drive with one hand now and don't get a sore arm from holding tight from the engine torque over long distances. 

Picked it up from smart marine for $1199 and installed in less than a day. One tip I saw online was to tape a strong thin rope to the end of the cable before you pull it through, that way you can tape the rope to the hydraulic hoses and pull it back up to the helm with less drama.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 11:18pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hydraulic is definitely the way to go, but if funds are tight?   

Back in the dark days when I had push pull steering, I had a near seize once.    I pulled the entire unit out of the boat and took it to a hydraulics store. They installed three grease nipples with banding along the length of the sheath. Meant I could periodically grease the unit from the middle out, which means it pushes all the old salt affected grease out the ends.

As others have pointed out though, check its not the motor pivot pin thats seized first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 3:15pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I could not get that effin thing to budge so have gone to hydraulic... oh my goodness what a dream to drive. i guess the only down side is the amount of turns to get real movement. not a major just nit picking..
cheers boys for all the advise very much appreciated.  Tight lines

I have also done a trip to mayor in her too now.. loving it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 3:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

DIY sometime I'll follow as new to BOP and still finding my way around this placeGeek

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 6:46pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anytime.. PM me numbers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 7:57pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DIY! DIY! wrote:

I could not get that effin thing to budge so have gone to hydraulic... oh my goodness what a dream to drive. i guess the only down side is the amount of turns to get real movement. 

I have also done a trip to mayor in her too now.. loving it
This sounds a bit odd to me i don't have hydraulic but are you sure there isn't air in it or something? I would have expected a more positive control.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:08pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Exactly krow, 1/4 turn will have the boat doing full circles with mine. Might need bleeding AmandaWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 1:20am
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What system do you have Kaveman?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:41am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hydrive hydraulic steering Juan, very easy to use
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote UKDAVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 8:58pm
UKDAVE View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just spent a couple of weekends removing and installing a rack & pinnion system. Getting it out was more difficult than installing but then its all the fiddly stuff of tying all the cabling and in my case the transducer cabling going through the splash well grommet.

Feels better on land but yet to give it a proper test on water as soon as U get a free weekend. 

Imported it from manufacturer in US for half the price it would cost to buy here including shipping and customs/ GST. Cost just over $500 rather than over $1000 that Smart Marine quoted me.