Outrigger Advice

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Graemep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrigger Advice
    Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 8:57pm
Graemep View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

We're looking for some advice on the best riggers to invest in. To be run on a surtees 6.7.

Looking at the CTS Gamespar 12' telescopic http://www.ctsmi.co.nz/outriggers.php

or a set of killwell like these: http://www.kilwell.co.nz/products/category/LHBWNBNE-fully-rigged/TELERIG2PC

Both sets need a bit of work to the rod holders as neither connect properly to the bar at the base of the holder because there is an insert in there which would require the rigger base to taper slightly to connect. So to solve would need to drill the bottom of the holders and insert a pin through to engage the rigger base.

The other option, although more expensive and a bit more install work is bolt-ons.

Does anyone have any comments, experience or advice that they could offer before we go and splash out on a set.

Is stiffer better, i.e. does it assist in a higher hook up rate?

Thanks for any input
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 8:59pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Graemep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:04pm
Graemep View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Spot on mate, thanks!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:58pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice one otdrman. how long are they? looking at setting up riggers for the surtees 5.8 and yours look the goods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 5:31pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The yellow ones are about 3.4mtrs from memory.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 5:56pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wanted height in my riggers on my 5.5 workmate, and found mounting then on gunnels angle was too low with too much flex even with packer under gunnels, solution was to fabricate an offset to go into standard mounts and add a stay. They work a treat.

Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 7:26pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a good tac with a boat skipper off slayer that was at tuts on saturday tied up (cos the bloody 20 knot easterly).He Had a brand new 5.75 extreme ,fitted with brand new one from Kerran from Rangiputa up north .They looked, and the set up, F###ing beautiful and well thought out on where and how to attach .Dont know the brand name but someone will chime in here .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 7:36pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got some 15ft blanks form Luke at yeehaa, they were prity cheap and I'm super happy with them!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 7:41pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Iv got some blanks from  somewhere ,just painted them white ,fully rechandlered .They are mint .Stainless is discoloured ,need to buy some of that stuff you put on to bring the stainless back 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:44am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have just bought the 14' Kilwell Telescopic carbon fibre "stiffy" riggers from Swordfish Steve on this forum and these are the bees knees. They are so stiff that they don't need tying back, easy to store and lighter weight too.

I too was looking at the regular Kilwell 12' riggers and I am so glad that I went for these.

The price I paid was $795 Steve had the 12' stiffy for $695 and he has a set of 12' in stock

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:56pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by otdrmn otdrmn wrote:

The yellow ones are about 3.4mtrs from memory.

Thanks mate. where did the yellow alloy tubes come from?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 7:08pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

smart marine has good prices on kiwell rigger, look online.
the ones with adjustable bases look best. if you have a hard top its best to bolt the on
top to give you more height, you can leave the ropes long and pull them down tensioned to the gunnels with  a roller. look at some of the american game boats, googles images
or you tube Peter Pakula, he shows you how he rigs his boat

buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:48am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Drop ins are quick and easy and give good height , some hardtops just haven't got the space for bases , big windows etc.
The kilwell chad field bases or wot ever they are called , suck.
Those Hal lock halyards in mmmmmms diagram are nice we run them , no more creep in riggers.
Those new carbon fibre ones that swordfish steves sells look like the business.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 1:14pm
stubby View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thinking these are the go - http://www.kilwell.co.nz/products/category/WNFHOEEV-outriggers/KSR1503BB

Any thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah man look and sound real good ,think swordfish Steve may have em cheaper .
Just drill out the Ali gimbal knocks I assume are in your rod holders and replace them with 6-7 mm stainless bolts at the angle you want , having them slip into the rocket launcher will allready give you more height than side mounted bases so you can get maximum spread out of them by running them a bit flatter.
Do a review once you have used them ?
Like the fact they fold up they are similar to some real expensive ones have seen for sale in the u.s.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:18am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by stubby stubby wrote:

Thinking these are the go - http://www.kilwell.co.nz/products/category/WNFHOEEV-outriggers/KSR1503BB

Any thoughts?

I have a pair on my 5m boat and they are really stiff and light too. Being telescopic is  a bonus when stowing for travel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hamish12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:43am
hamish12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Are the drop in riggers suitable for being mounted off the clapsible canopy out of the rocket launcher? Anybody run them off there 5.5 workmate? Thinking of upgrading from my 12 foot surf rods..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 12:52am
Titanium
Titanium

depends how strong your rocket launcher is they do get subjected to quite a bit of leverage and force.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hamish12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 1:49pm
hamish12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I run the shot gun and rigger lures off the canopy and it seems to hold up alright. Just trying to decide whether to get the side mounted or rocket launcher mounted. Any info from other surtees 5.5 boats out there would b helpful. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 3:10pm
Page  12>