Recent Westcoaster Comp ITM feedback

Page  <12345 14>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TAZEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 2:17pm
TAZEE View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all

If you would like some recorded Information please refer to the New Zealand Sport fishing 2015 Year book.

If you look at page 140-141 2013/2014 season Weighed fish and page 142-143 2013/2014 season tagged Fish

This is all recored fish through clubs regionally

An Example from this is

2013/2014 Weighed Striped marlin only regionally 620

2013/2014 Tagged Stripped marlin only Regionally 478

These Figures are straight out of the Book and its all clubs NZ wide with Recorded tallys.

Out of the 620 Stripped marlin Weighed Regionally 100 came from the westcoast clubs.

Have a read of the book or look on Line as its quite interesting reading.

Thanks

Jon

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 2:18pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

why is there a compulsion for an angler catching their first fish to keep it?

Snapper fishermen now converting to game and other methods. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 2:21pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here's some more stats for you Speights

Go to page 9, table 1 (pasted above), in the last 10 years tagging rates for stripey's has averaged 58%. Tagging rates in 2012 and 2013 were only 49% and 52%.
Tagging rates for blues is shocking, only an average 24% tagged in the last 10 years!!
The report also makes the comment that tagging rates have been dropping, tagging rates peaked between 1995-1999. So we've pretty much gone backwards.

To me it doesn't seem like we're keeping up our end of the bargain. We complain about the commercial guys taking too much but, within our waters at least, the marlin fishery is ours to protect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 3:28pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

have u forgotten what is was like to nail your first marlin ?
some guys spend years trying !
why begrudge someone the joy of hanging what could possibly be the reult of hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars.
all this kind of talk will do is stop guys joining clubs
to avoid all the holy than tho hypocrites
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 3:36pm
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

good post there angler ....no great
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 3:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

have u forgotten what is was like to nail your first marlin ?
some guys spend years trying !
why begrudge someone the joy of hanging what could possibly be the result of hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars.
all this kind of talk will do is stop guys joining clubs
to avoid all the holy than tho hypocrites
 I think you read or misread the tone a little TA 

The thing of killing your first or what ever seems to stem from Snapper fisho converting across, this isn't a bad thing but it brings with it the fact people are fishing for a feed vs say the Zane greys among us that are fishing for the pure sport.... My comment wasn't derogatory, or should I say it wasn't meant in a derogatory way at all and am sorry you construed it as such. **** I just ate smoked Marlin for lunch.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 3:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spieghts spieghts wrote:

good post there angler ....no great

I hate it when you realize your stallion is only a gelding 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 4:12pm
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I can see why your so confused there hp thefamous northland teatree may be to blame
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 4:50pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From one who has never been out over the bar to the wild west coast,has never caught or tasted a Marlin. Is it really so bad for a angler to bring his fish in for the smoker. I would not have thought so. I would bring my first one or second  in. They are only present for a couple of months of the year and compared to the numbers that must be taken in the wide Pacific by commercial our catches would only be a drop in a bucket .After all, the time and the dollars put into the local economy in the effort to catch one must be substantial . Does our fishing have to be so P.C.
Surely when a fish is measured and weighed this info must be valuable insight into the fishery.

For those Marlin that are tagged. How many actually survive the huge stress of being caught.
Are many tagged marlin actually re caught and what percentage of total tagged Marlin would that represent. Finally  what does that info actually tell us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Team Kahnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 5:01pm
Team Kahnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I.m thinking .... let's settle this over a west vs east comp next year.... keen?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 6:27pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

why is anyone complaining about the tag rate anyway?
its always been 50% or more so what is the problem?

Year    Taken  Tagged

2000–01 422   851

2001–02 430   771

2002–03 495   671

2003–04 592   1 051

2004–05 834   1 348

2005–06 630   923

2006–07 675   965

2007–08 485   806

2008–09 741   1 058

2009–10 607   858

2010–11 607   731

2011–12 635   661

2012–13 730   745

do you see a problem with this figures? MPI gathered.

Hello: why are some complaining?
have they a crystal ball that say this has changed?
what grounds have they to justify its all about to change this year?????

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 6:43pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Team Kahnage Team Kahnage wrote:

I.m thinking .... let's settle this over a west vs east comp next year.... keen?
Good idea...but is the Kings to be called west or east?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 6:44pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Year    Taken  Tagged

2000–01 422   851

Seems stonefish's stats are different from yours Lethal????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 7:14pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Tone E Tone E wrote:

Year    Taken  Tagged

2000–01 422   851

Seems stonefish's stats are different from yours Lethal????
Those are the stats for striped marlin only, but even so the percentages are different to the table I posted, which is from a MPI report also. These numbers are from the document I linked to in my first post. Blues/blacks/swords not included in these numbers.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pork Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 7:17pm
Pork Hunt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I speculate the blue/black/sword combo would have little effect on the percentages
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 7:21pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Pork Hunt Pork Hunt wrote:

I speculate the blue/black/sword combo would have little effect on the percentages

Would probably drop the tag percentage to below 50% in the last couple of years of data
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote camdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 7:24pm
camdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

2015 nzsfc yearbook says 2014 was 478 tagged and 620 weighed (striped Marlin). It seems like this season would be much the same as the last one if not worse. Good points stonefish and hookerpuka. I dont know anyone who has regretted letting their first billfish go but i know a few that regretted killing their first... and yes i have seen a fair few cherrys popped
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 8:39pm
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pork Hunt Pork Hunt wrote:

Simon this is getting worse....

It's a very very very very very very lucky Blue, Black or Sword that swims away with a tag on the west coastLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL.(Don't tell Matt Watson, Muppet tagged 3 swords on his trailer boat last season).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:02pm
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you all seam worried about what other Gov/Green's may do to this fishery if we Kiwis dont release a certain amount of the Marlin catch we land,

its a no brainier anyway:
anything that swims between countries from now on is going to get nailed by the huge ever increasing subsidies Chinese fleet lurking just outside our 200mile zone.

so remember the taste its about to disappear from your plate within a few seasons.

Lethal how many marlin have you caught on your boat and what is your tag /kill ratio?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:11pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are a lot of assumptions and generalisation in this thread , gettin a bit like felch book.
if guys were really actually truely that concerned at a fishes welfare they should be busting or cutting it off at the quickest opportunity , how many will miss a tag shot on the first chance at leader then exhaust the fish for another 45mins just to get a silly tag into a brown fish and release it to float to the bottom.

Had smoked marlin pasta for tea last night , broadbill tonight , bloody awesome kids love it , certainly adds variation to home kill meat and wild game that is our normal source of protein.
No shame in keeping one every season or getting some blood on the deck, in fact it's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much .
Can't assume everyone's only doing it to collect tag cards and be no 1 boat or Woteva

Page  <12345 14>