Recent Westcoaster Comp ITM feedback

Page  <1234 14>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:10am
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

this makes a complete mockery out of the tagging vs weighing debate then doesn't it?
its open season ........anarchy. ........
catch your fish how you like boys these guys will take tags at any cost..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:18am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Tagit, our club is providing more incentives for anglers in our comps to release fish and there will be plenty of others doing that. With the incentives provided I think more will choose that option. It is certainly a good way to go.
I have nothing against killing a fish to eat, and hopefully will even have a piece of one from the recent contest dropped off for my dinner shortly. What we as a recreational angling group can't ignore though is that as our release ratio drops, our moral high-ground disappears. Once that is gone you will have both the greenies and commercial sector ramping up their push for change (either no fishing or open slather depends on who wins). Given the type of government that we currently have that is only ever going to end up as bad news for us. Much easier to get our act together and keep the moral high-ground than to have to fight that fight in the future. 
I think our challenge lies more with the growing trailer boat fleet than it does with west vs east. That's a complex issue that might have as much to do with social demographics as it does with boat size and all the other possible influences. Really the best answer is to focus on an across the board shift of attitude through education, because any other option is going to either involve some sort of enforced control or a significant reduction in our ability to enjoy the fishery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:22am
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

heres one for you and smudge tagit stop regurgatating percentages that were bandyed about twenty years ago and just compile the stats from all clubs last year wiegh vs tagged / charter vs privateer
theres a scary thought this will educate us all .
pull ya head out off the sand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:24am
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by spieghts spieghts wrote:

this makes a complete mockery out of the tagging vs weighing debate then doesn't it?
its open season ........anarchy. ........
catch your fish how you like boys these guys will take tags at any cost..

Spieghts this is how it works

To tag marlin for Comps and Club cups etc it has to be IGFA.

Blue water Marine Research who run the tagging program will take any tags.. off com boats, non members,non igfa etc

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:32am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you have already done the stats Speights, why don't you share them with us all? You could also explain what exactly we have our "heads in the sand" about??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:44am
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

you guys in the pro tagging community have no business throwing out unsubstantiated percentages scaremongering and fueling the fire with your agender .
compile the results yourself tagit since your happy to spout out that piffle
your head has been in the sand for years !
ps you still havent answered previous question ( when did the government sign your precious billfish moritorium last ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:44am
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1987Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:52am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Guys how far through the season are we? The tag vs kept stats are always most likey going to be a bit one sided in the first half of the season. I would say that ( without absoloute certainty ) the east coast tag % will always be up over the west coasters. The charters will have a big part to do about this. Also Im guessing that the boys on the east coast are probably well seasoned game fishermen and have kept their fare share in the past and are happy with tagging everything.
The west coast boys I assume are all trailer boat warriors out there giving a crack on the Wild wild west. A lot of guys will be newbies out there giving game fishing a crack and keeping their well deserved fish. We only get to venture out those ways when mother nature permits.
It would be interesting to actually find out how many the fish that were pulled in were first for the boat or first for the angler.

Speights no mates..... keep on your keyboard warrior antics and the mods will give you a ticket to go on holiday from here Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:52am
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi plonker you seem knollegable can you tell me is this current or was that the last time it was signed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:54am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

you all seam worried about what other Gov/Green's may do to this fishery if we Kiwis dont release a certain amount of the Marlin catch we land,

its a no brainier anyway:
anything that swims between countries from now on is going to get nailed by the huge ever increasing subsidies Chinese fleet lurking just outside our 200mile zone.

so remember the taste its about to disappear from your plate within a few seasons.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:02pm
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sorry to disappoint you gowest lots of mates.
but I did say last years stats its the only way to the truth !
this is the right forum for this discussion
no need for mods.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:04pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A little cynical but sadly also a little true Lethal!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:16pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spieghts spieghts wrote:

you guys in the pro tagging community have no business throwing out unsubstantiated percentages scaremongering and fueling the fire with your agender .
compile the results yourself tagit since your happy to spout out that piffle
your head has been in the sand for years !
ps you still havent answered previous question ( when did the government sign your precious billfish moritorium last ?

The Billfish Moratorium was last reviewed in May 2013. Yes it has changed from the original concept when it was introduced, but it still gets regularly reviewed and challenged by commercial interests. 

Here is a key statement from the review report outlining the Recreational communities position - "The following measures have been proposed by the recreational sector to further restrict the landing of marlin based on concerns over the sustainability of the stock and its status as a key recreational species." There are then some comments about not having a commercial take that you can go and read for yourself. 

So tell us how a 'kill them all' attitude is in line with the official recreational position "concerns over the sustainability of the stock" that is represented to government when we argue that there shouldn't be any commercial take allowed? So let's say we start killing the vast majority of the marlin caught by rec fishermen. What do you think is going to happen. Note that reporting on the recreational T&R rate is part of the official government review!! 

And a quick 5 minute review of the stats from a few of the major clubs for this season would tell you that we are well below a 50% tagging ratio. The clubs where the tagging ratio is best are the ones with the most charter operators. Might just be a strange coincidence, but having operated in that business I know first hand that it isn't.

So my position is that I don't want my fishing ruined by a bunch of people who want to think that it is everyone elses problem except theirs. That is what is often called 'putting your head in the sand'. If you have a different view, lets have it backed up by some of the statistics you want to talk about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:21pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fished this comp myself and 'assuming all guys in this comp are trailer boat warriors' is a bit rich. I'm a east coast fisherman having more recently been fishing the west too and no I havn't caught my first marlin. I think the point here which was overlooked that some or many of the marlin landed were by guys (and ladies and in one case someones daughter) where it was their first fish. How many of the seasoned veterans here who have caught many marlin over the years would have released their first marlin? Don't get me wrong if I'm lucky enough to get one to the boat I will give it serious consideration whether to land or release. If I do land it I will ensure none of it is wasted and any subsequent marlin will have a good chance of swimming away with a tag in it. p.s great comp being my first big comp a very enjoyable experience. My 10 cents worth anyway. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:21pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure the first for angler or first for boat  reasoning washes really. On my boat 8 anglers have broken their duck, and 5 chose to release.(all 3 kept were in a comp and 1 of those was a winning fish) Having said that I always say to them as they are fighting the fish, it is the anglers choice. I also explain why, depending on circumstances, it might be a good idea to release. (early in the day, not going back to port, small fish etc.) Personally, I think west or east is irrelevant as many anglers fish both coasts, but with the diminishing charter fleet it is up to clubs to tweak their comp rules to try to attain the 50/50 ratio. As an aside, a big thumbs up to TOSF who in his charter terms and conditions states all billfish will be released unless they are mortally woundedClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spieghts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:56pm
spieghts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

like I said tagit compile last years total results then lets see if there is infact a problem at all . five minute quick half season reviews are worthless.
just like matt watsons ridiculous comments on the westcoaster comp you wont no the whole truth untill you compile an entire seasons stats.
kill them all is my new position as I have tagged over 95 percent untill now.
its anglers choice full stop.
nobody needs the uninformed hysterical pro taggers comments after taking a fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote full sacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:59pm
full sacks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well said lethal and jackel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 1:16pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think the solution is to send John Gregory out on a 10 day solo mission, after which i would expect the 50% tag ratio to be well and truely exceeded for this season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Baru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 1:22pm
Baru View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You guys miss a fairly important point, there is probably at least 30% of the boats out there not members of any clubs, so their catches are not recorded anywhere, they do not want to deal with the BS of clubs, comps etc.  They take quite a lot of fish, but also release a lot of fish, though would rarely tag the released fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 2:00pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Tone E Tone E wrote:

Not sure the first for angler or first for boat  reasoning washes really. On my boat 8 anglers have broken their duck, and 5 chose to release.(all 3 kept were in a comp and 1 of those was a winning fish) Having said that I always say to them as they are fighting the fish, it is the anglers choice. I also explain why, depending on circumstances, it might be a good idea to release. (early in the day, not going back to port, small fish etc.) Personally, I think west or east is irrelevant as many anglers fish both coasts, but with the diminishing charter fleet it is up to clubs to tweak their comp rules to try to attain the 50/50 ratio. As an aside, a big thumbs up to TOSF who in his charter terms and conditions states all billfish will be released unless they are mortally woundedClap

Agree with you Tone E, why is there a compulsion for an angler catching their first fish to keep it? To me a fish looks far more impressive lit up in the water for photos rather than hanging dead.

I haven't caught a marlin yet but when(if) I do it'll be getting a tag in its back. Sure, if the fish is dead/wounded/tail wrapped and not going to survive then keep it.

In terms of stats, heres a document from MPI, I posted it a while ago on a different thread. 

Shows stats up to 2013 season. It shows that the 10 yr moving average weight of weighed fish has been dropping over the last 50yrs (page 16) although has slightly increased in the last couple of years. If you also look at page 12, the tagged percentage is only just 50%. To me thats pretty disappointing.

Page  <1234 14>