Yamaha CV30

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha CV30
    Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 8:16am
DS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone have any experience with a Yamaha CV30? I want to buy a new Yamaha 30hp engine, however the extra weight of the Yamaha 30 DMHS is of concern to me. I'm putting the outboard on an Arancia A380.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 8:23am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Solid little motor.. But is loud, and vibratey (if that's a word) might not be so noticeable on an inflatable. Personally, I would go with the 3 cyl 30hp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macka2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:30am
macka2012 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there, I have the 30D on the back of my boat and it runs very well. only weighs in around 60kgs, cant imagine that would be too much weight?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rodneymarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:39am
rodneymarine View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

great little motor,if you are after a new Yamaha we have an electric start long shaft,that has been here a while may be able to do you a good deal,it is brand new with full warranty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:55am
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yamaha 30CV on Arancia Hulls go brilliant! Mate has them on old surf boats with prop gaurd etc and go awesome.
If loaded up regularly maybe look at changing the prop., I just wouldn't see the advantage of paying extra for the 3cyl on that setup considering the Merc 30hp (2cyl also) is on all surf boats and they do heaps of hours nationwide, a 2cyl 30 will be ample.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 1:09pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have had one, nothing wrong with them if you can handle the noise and vibration. Id definitely go a 3cyl over the 2cyl every day of the week, well worth the extra dosh.

Most yamaha techs (in oz) Ive spoken to have said if you can afford the 3cyl its worth it. 

You get loop charging and the power response is chalk and cheese imo. For an extra few hundred on a 30HP its a no brainer imo. If only the 40hp was that cheap. The 3 cyl feels very smooth and less noise and more torquey down low. The 3cyl 40hp is the best standard 2 stroke engine available imo (excluding fict type fuel economy 2 strokes etc) .

Neither a bad engines, but if you cant afford the extra few hundred for a yamaha 3cyl, id personally forget the "customer value" model and go with a tohatsu and save some serious cash if thats what it boils down to.

Just my 2c
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 8:15am
DS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone for your comments - all very helpful.
I'm certainly aware that the Yamaha 30D is a better outboard than the 30CV - however I'm wanting to keep the weight down over the transom. The reason for this is that sometimes I'll be using the boat by myself in the surf on the west coast - so less weight on transom will make it easier to get off the trailer in surf, and help keep the bow of the boat down when going over broken waves.
Penty - sometimes we will be loading the boat up with a heap of dive gear and going out through the surf - can I ask why you suggest changing the prop if loading the boat up?
I know the Mercury 30MLW that the surf clubs use would do the trick, but I the Yamaha outboards I have owned previously have been awesome and I would prefer to get one again, hence why I'm looking closely at the lighter weight Yamaha 30CV. I had read mixed online reviews on them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:30am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What's the weight difference? I'm running a tiller steer 3 cyl 30 on a 3.9 Reel Pontoon, launch in a bit of surf at times and never felt it was stern heavy - and I've got 20 odd litres of fuel down there too.

Been a great motor so far (6 years) Gets ignored and stored outside for months and never fails to start with 1 or 2 pulls.

Wife and I recently did a 20 odd nautical mile very lightly loaded Tiki-tour around Mercury Bay on approx. 1/2 to 2/3 tank. Didn't think that was too bad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:41am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The extra weight difference certainly wouldn't put me off the 3cyl, unless I was having to take it on and off all the time, and even then the 2cyl isn't the lightest of things. The 3 cyl starts, idles and runs better, as well as having more torque, which I would want in a surf launching condition.. More instant acceleration.. especially with gear onboard.

If you're worried about the bow being light heading out, just fill a couple of heavy duty bags with sand, put them in bow, then once clear of surf, can empty sand over the side ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 2:22pm
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by DS DS wrote:

Penty - sometimes we will be loading the boat up with a heap of dive gear and going out through the surf - can I ask why you suggest changing the prop if loading the boat up?
I know the Mercury 30MLW that the surf clubs use would do the trick, but I the Yamaha outboards I have owned previously have been awesome and I would prefer to get one again, hence why I'm looking closely at the lighter weight Yamaha 30CV. I had read mixed online reviews on them

If your likely to be heavy and loaded just change the prop down a pitch and it will get up an boogey in the surf. I would seriously look at the Tohatsu 30hp, yes it's 2cyl and mite not be as "pretty" as the 3cyl Yamaha but they go really well.
Yes, Surf Club IRB's get sponsored by Mercury (Tohatsu same block), but if they were really inferior to a Yamaha 3cyl they wouldn't be using one and they do hundreds of hours a year with them.

Re weight distribution the ones I went on had the fuel strapped down up front to keep the bow down.

Motor is important but your probably over thinking it. Its a 3.8m IRB, it's gonna be wet and bumpy, 30hp is fine 2cyl or 3cyl and will provide ample power for 3 divers plus gear.
IMO I'd be saving the $800 to $1k and just buy a Tohatsu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 3:50pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If money is an issue go for the teeth wrecker. If you going for a 2, i agree the merchatsu is a good option.

Does the 30D come with the remote FNR on the tiller handle like the 40hp 3 cyl? That is very handy in surf and in general, especially when straylining around rocks etc. The 3cyl holds itself with heavier loads. If you are usually by yourself this is unimportant. As an example the one we had ages ago did 49KPH 2up, it did 44KPH 4 up fully loaded. But pitch and prop and possibly foil can help a 2cyl with that.

The vibration is something you will get use to fast and its really just a less refined feeling. Thats a bit basic of a view as there are plenty of benefits to 3cyl. I think a good prob guard is a good choice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 7:49am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

get the 30D, weight is not an issue as the Arancia are a well balanced boat.  I have the 30D on the back of mine and weight has never been an issue.  The 30D is a much better motor than ANY other 30 2 stroke on the market.  My recommendation is the 11P prop, this gives a good hole-shot and top speed.

The weight at the transom is the least of your worries if you get hit by a wave out west, chances are any motor on the back will end up with the same result... getting pushed around by the wave.  Whats important is you can respond quickly and the 30D will do that with plenty of power.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 7:58am
DS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Blindspot, great to hear from someone that has an Arancia IRB with a 30D. The $ weren't the issue, it was the extra weight I was concerned about. Have you ever launched your rig in the surf by yourself, if so how easy was it to get off the trailer with 1 person?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 6:29pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

DS yes I have, I often launch by myself and have done west coast solo in fair conditions. where do you live?  you can come have a look at my rig, easy launching is all about the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 7:12pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you are doing long range missions then the comfort of a 3cyl will be substantially noticeable.  if its just ripping out a few KMs, who cares.

if you got a 30d do you intend to set up a marine battery and depth sounder/radio etc? actually a 20w radio with decent sized aerial is a another benefit vs a 5w handheld.

the only thing i can think of personally is, i never leave an engine on a SIB transom long term, I always put it on a trolley if not in use. if its a RIB, totally different. thats just personal preference. if you do intend to remove it, get the surf style clamps and invest in a decent pulley and trolley to save your back.

lastly get a good quality trailer and if unfamiliar how to set it up for a SIB get it done professionally. launching in the surf can be much less dramatic with a quality trailer and process. also a dolly wheel to retrieve by hand a snatch strap to pull her out makes retrieval simple. there is a good video on SIB launching on youtube.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 10:17pm
DS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi FizFisho, yes there will be the odd long trip if conditions permit, so my current thinking is I'm going to go with the 30D outboard. I don't intend to set up a fish finder or radio in the boat - it's just more stuff on board to get in the way or get thrown around when going out through the surf. Where I fish (west coast northland) its not hard to find fish, and Navionics has been good for marking dive spots. There is good enough cellphone coverage, plus I also have a handheld VHF which reaches 2 different coastguard bases. Thanks for your advice regarding outboard trollys and trailers.
I'm going to take up Blindspots kind offer to check out his boat - always helpful to talk to guys who have exactly what I am looking at getting!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 9:20pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

comparing the 2 in real life would be the ultimate, not always possible unfortunately. but if you can get to a 3cyl you can compare it to most 2cyls and get the difference in torque and smoothness. only you can judge whether its worth the extra cost though. best of luck.