Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  123 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics
    Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 12:44pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

52 hours fishing in the last 6 days and 2 bones on the bedpost. Other species aswell but nothing like a sightfished bone smashing the fly. The monsters still allure me. I Will Be back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:19pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Will, Nice
Good effort for a dodgy time of year
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:34pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 9:48pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thought I'd use Will's recent stuff from Aitutaki to kick off a Tropical sticky thread. 

Lots of sticky threads here I know, but it helps to keep the forum tidy Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 9:54pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 9:56pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Stunning windless weather there Will. It looks hot. Those clouds must be what they mean in those Aitutaki weather forecasts when they say "chance of rain" Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 12:18am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Craig actually lots of wind and rain on this trip, but with true dedication and well picked spots by Butch kept us in the game,I was throwing first lines within 30 minutes of arriving on the 8.50am flight .We got out on the boat 5 out of 6 days.The wind switched from south to east to north so always something to fish, but mostly east so lots of nice sheltered motus.. I had 1 day of real rain but still fished in-between samade and inanos on that day chasing I,m sure the same fish for 3 days straight.
Each day brought something great, the big bones down at one foot, spotting and throwing at bones on windless evening,s on Samade, down to the last two shots of the trip off mangere with two massive bones which came to sniff the fly but decided to leave me in suspense till next time.
Even though visibility wasn't the best with Butchs eagel eye and help we saw lots and lots of bones but I noticed not as many tails as past trips . Was a definite change in mood, maybe was me improving or the fish where hungrier as often came to the fly , watching them finally smash it was well worth the hours put in for the reward, did loose a couple of hook up,s as well so not a bad score.
I used the same fly for the whole trip and scored a nice trev as well.
I learned a heck of a lot on this trip, mainly stripping techniques and patience which effectively turned the tide on finally getting some results.

Travel tips.

The hotel in Raro over the road from the airport is now called the Islander Hotel, They have a transit lounge for $45 and you get lounge, showers/toilets, cofefe tea facilities etc is well wroth considering if want to make the best of the air NZ time schedules, this meant I arrived in raro at 1am and was able to get the 8am to Aitutaki and get straight on the water for a full day. In-between I saved on a nights accommodation and was the only one there so was a nice air-conditioned lounge with real comfy couches :), bacon and eggs with frsh coffee at the airport café which seems to be open 24 hours topped the morning off before getting on the 8am flight to Aitutaki

If you get the works deluxe you get awesome seats in the plane and get to use the showers and lounge area in NZ and Raro which includes full bar and wine and cheese and ****, this means you can fish till the last minute on the lagoon. I got 11.50 am from Aitutaki and had a nice lunch and shower in the Air NZ lounge at Raro and got on the 2.55 to NZ.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 6:46am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, I prefer doing it in a day with the three hour gap between flights, but it can be hard to get that. Once did 7pm from Aitutaki, 2am from Raro, turned back by fog in NZ and back in Raro at 4am, asleep in some Raro resort at 5am, a great breakfast at 10am plus a walk around the beaches and sights of Raro. Back in plane at 3pm. I wasn't complaining

Well done on the bones. I'm already having bad dreams about big dagger-like bonefish tails waving at me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 2:33pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's awesome Will,
ya must be buzzing,

Great to see that smile, them bones sure make an angler work for his hookup,
Loving the audio banter

don't what it is about any footage I see of that place,
Ya just start grinning.
Nevermind the "garden of eden'
Im talking the 'Island of eden'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 2:45pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great reports!
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 9:21pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thought i,d add this interesting article Giant Bonefish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 5:16pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice article,
I like the quote'Let a bonefish be a bonefish'
which I can plagarise to my own quote'Let a fish be a fish'

Hows that Fly pattern,!
remind ya of something?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 5:19pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 5:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very good instructions there. I read similar stuff in relation to permit. Keeping the fly on the bottom for bottom feeding fish makes a lot of sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 8:17pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Love that top photo of the massive bone, if divide the fish by 8 hands left(as judged in photo) 72 cms long. It looks like a 5 footer in the photo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 12:19am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That Bone is epic!
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 4:13pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip,
New Caledonian northern remote flats that sucker,

when I heard all the storys about the sizes of the bones up there,i was thinking Bull ****.
That was till I seen the pics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 5:36pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I,m not so sure of the size of those xotics up new calendonia way, i have read reports of 7-8 plbs and some over 10? ?, yes big fish in the pic but looks like a very well taken shot . More facts please, could well be a great destination if the stories are true.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 9:49pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 7:43am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A massive degree of skill required to get a hook-up there. Not sure I'd wade too deep either!
Page  123 39>