Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 1718192021 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:42pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep - I'm such a novice but I did enjoy the experience.  Must try the casting bucket and the lighter rod.  Yes, I noticed lots of small fish and was wondering about the avg. size compared to numbers.  Perhaps a sign of the fishery building up or not enough feed?  One day I feel the power of a 70cm+ bone and be hooked!

Tight lines.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:37pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Taburean looks like a perfect atoll to hold bones, a couple of seward entrances so should be no sharks in there to by the looks?. I been studying all these atolls on google lately and would love to have a ship and stop at them all. I do wonder about the Aituaki bones if it is a consequence of the realtively sheltered lagoon with no major predators ie sharks. It is also not a very deep lagoon so wonder if the warmer temps are perfect for the bones to hold in the deeper water and then they come out to feed on the flats. that theory kinda all goes to sh$% when you can see almost as big as bones in hawaii and they are open ocean sea front.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 7:54am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The reports I've heard is that the Taburean bonefishn' is excellent.  One of the operators staying at The Villages - from SYD or Brissy - is starting trips up to the island and was telling me about his past experience on Taburean.  I also have a mate who works on the HF facilities in the Line islands and he says the fishn' is unreal (he also likes CXI). Charter flights with Coral Sun seemed the preferred option due to Air Kiribati canceling flights as they did when I was there (only flight canceled in 6 weeks so I was unlucky).  Pegasus Lodge looks nice and I'd heard good things and the big advantage (at least for me) is that you can intersperse fishn' with surfing.  I'm thinking of returning for a holiday with my daughter and traveling on the Kwai - last sailing cargo ship in the Pacific (I think).

Sharks: I hadn't considered this but I did see plenty of sharks in CXI. I also heard from divers that there are a lot (sigh of a healthy fishery) just over the reef on CXI where the bones breed.

CXI: does anyone know of any fisheries research being undertaken? I'll drop a line to SPC and ask.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 6:59am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

It is interesting that some islands have good bonefish populations and others don't. Then some have scattered big fish while others have big schools of little fish. It would be interesting to read some studies of some of the factors involved. Without knowing more about the biology of these fish it is hard to know if places like Aitutaki could actually support more bonefish without the fish getting smaller? 

With regard to isolated islands I've fairly much given up on the notion. Scattered across the Pacific are communities trapped by poverty, over-population, and over-fishing. I think the failed Nonouti example showed the challenges involved. There are not enough fly fishers in the world with enough time and money to support the development of these isolated atolls as bone fisheries. The sad fact of life is that anyone travelling to these isolated islands is going to find buggered fisheries and no hope.

I would much rather spend my fishing time on islands like Aitutaki or CXI that have made some effort to enhance their fisheries and are already well on the way to being total sports fisheries. Hopefully, from there, others will emerge in the Pacific. But I'm not holding my breath.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:27pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great video , i wonder if anyone is actually using a drone to spot fish.

check this out

http://www.cookislandsnews.com/national/local/item/66534-study-examines-fish-feeding-issues
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:24pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Interesting, the tourists are squeamish about fish feeding being bad for the environment and regard it as superfluous to the enjoyment of their trip, yet fish feeding always attracts a crowd. I personally don't like it in fishing areas, but feeding the GT's in Raro Harbour really is quite a spectacle... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 1:06pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well, it's not the tropics, but it isn't temperate either. I fished Hervey Bay, Queensland recently. 

The day we arrived it poured down, the first rain they have had in 3-4 months . Two days later I was out on a guide boat operated by my friend Andrew Chorley. Second cast was a Mac Tuna, as was the fourth. And that pattern continued for the day. I hooked 30 Mac Tuna and one Watsons Bonito, boating 20 Mac Tuna. I lost fish due to sharks (4), hook breaking (1), Mackerel trying to eat my Perfection loop knot (1), hook bending (1) and just the usual drops. The Macs were between 5 and 7kg, and pull lots of string, very, very fast. I was absolutely shattered at the end of the day.

The next day my wife and 9yo son came on the boat armed with spin gear, I was 'deckie' for the day. They boated 8-10 Mac Tuna and 3 Watsons Bonito. It was great to see them have so much fun and success on some great line-burners. My son's biggest fish for the day was a very fat 7kg Mac Tuna.

Day 3 and I was alone on the boat again, we chased Mac Tuna for a short time with little success. Then spent the rest of the day trolling teasers for a Marlin. We raised one little fella on the flats, 'hooking' him 4 times but the hooks just wouldn't stick in that solid concrete mouth. The fourth time was right at the back of the boat, but even a strip strike of about 5 feet in length wasn't enough. Probably hooks too big and fish too small.

Day 4 and 5 were very similar, except day 4 we went 1-1-1 on Black Marlin, and day 5 we went 2-1-1. These were the first 2 Marlin (albeit juveniles) I have boated on fly, so I was pretty bloody stoked!

All up, it was a fantastic trip, and getting the family onto some fish makes family/fishing trips so much more of an option. It was great to outfish the spin rods, on normally very fussy Mac Tuna, and to tick Marlin off my bucket list.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 1:53pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That sounds like a great trip Warren! Good stats on the beakies too. You did well Clap Any pics to share?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:31pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Craig! I'll hunt out some pics......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:49pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

In order:

First Marlin on Fly
Second Marlin on Fly
Mackerel Tuna
Method getting a workout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:31pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

WOW cool :) Hervey Bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:38pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by WillP WillP wrote:

WOW cool :) Hervey Bay?

Yep!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:42am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thumbs UpThumbs Up Excellent! What a great size for marlin. Those are fat mack tuna too. Thanks! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 11:02am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys,

Im off to Hawaii in April for my honeymoon and keen to give the bones there a crack. Anyone fished Oahu?

I do know the bones are big and picky. These are my first crack at bone patterns, Ive gone for lots of natural material and colours with little or no flash (using big, picky brown trout as my inspiration )  

Any thoughts,intel or experience with guides appreciated.

Cheers Jeremy

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:14am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Jeremy,

can't comment as have never chased Bonesor fished Hawaii, but those flies look real good!

I will be tying Bone flies next winter.

Warren

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:03pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Jeremy, congrats on the pending nuptials Thumbs Up Flies look good. I hear that Hawaii has a lot of weed on the flats. Maybe some worm flies would be good too for some static retrieves with worm flies in amongst the weed?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:41pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Jeremy,
I like the priorities - buy a nice Surtees centre console, then get married! Is Stripstrike in charge of the boat keys while you're away??

If you are an Auckland Libraries member, I recommend this book. I have it out at the moment (for the second time), but have ordered it from Book Depository as a source of ideas. It's a great bible of tying materials and techniques for some skutes etc and Lou has some excellent innovative bonefish patterns.
I'm sure you'd find some great ideas for kingie and snapper flies as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 5:32pm
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished there in October with Jesse from Hitide Fly Fishing. He was awesome, very relaxed with a nice flats boat and amazing at spotting Bonefish. It was my first time fishing for Bones and he got me 30-40 shots over the course of the day. Had 3 hits with one sticking and landed (Trout set the other 2...). He reckoned about 8 pounds but would be called 10 if it was the Bahamas haha.
There was no way I would have got a fish if I hadn't gone with a guide as I probably saw 10 fish all day and that was usually once they'd spooked, bar a couple.
Fly used was simple size 1 or 2 SL12, heavy dumbbell eyes, a bit of orange flashy dubbing for a body then natural brown overwing that looked like squirrel tail and a couple of small rubber legs. 

not sure why photo is sideways...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 6:15pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

NIce Bone!Clap

Yip its all about the mantis shrimp patterns [ive heard]

any well weighted 'spam and eggs' pattern will work
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Page  <1 1718192021 39>