Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 1617181920 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:31am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:14am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wow! What fatty. Is that Outu Beach?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:18pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just of Tekopua down by one foot, was a very windy week 20+ knots but from the east so I got some cover out there. Cast to some huge bones and think I.m finally starting to work out what they like. spent a lot of time watching crabs on the beach and if you watch what they do then you will realise how important your strip is to these guys. patience is the key.
I fished mostly from the Kayak to get the visibility but was hard trying to stay in one place once the fly got to the Bones and that just screwed the strip up. I only landed two bones this time, one in the first 15 mins of arriving then I spent 3 days trying to get this beauty above so came in with a hearty cheer.
spent ,my last morning we left on samade chasing tails which is always worth its weight in gold even if you don't land any.
had another go at the big bones out the back of one foot and had a bunch of bushes laid up on the beach and a few palms fronds sticking out of my hat disguised as a palm tree and got them to come with in feet of myself but put a fly in the water and those guys just take off. don't see this anywhere just on that back flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxMJXvWCPBo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:10am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Shows what a bit of coconut palm shelter can do. It looks like a perfect day in the pic. Stalking bones in that sort of water has to be one of the ultimate experiences in fly fishing.

And I like the idea of disguising yourself as a tree LOL It could catch on!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:43am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was amused when I was fishing from the shore in a Northland harbour over Easter and two guys went past me on a very flash glass flats boat, complete with tower on the stern etc. 
They were using an electric motor off the bow, cruising a channel edge. The guy poised with fly rod on the front was decked out in woodland camo, including cap, matching t-shirt and shorts, like he was in a beech forest or jungle, not silhouetted against a blue sky, white sand and water!
Maybe he was trying to be a mangrove tree?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:55am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nik the fly guy at it again TK Wink
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:33pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter what you wear as long as the sun is behind you. Being a silhouette is about the best cover you can get when sneaking up on a fish from a high boat. They still don't like your arm waving about though Disapprove

Those Aitutaki motu are great in this respect. The morning sun rises in the east behind you and through late winter and spring the wind is in the east or sou'east and sheltered by those big walls of palms. A great combination - silhouette plus wind shelter from the trees. The early hours between 7am and 9am are magic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:12pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice FishThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:13pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes he loved your fly albeit only 1.2 legs a bit of fluff and 2 wonky eyes left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 10:38am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was in Raro for a few days and fished the Muri channel and got a few little wrasses (i think thats what they were)but not much else. would have been nice to get some blue fin trevally. the channel was quite deep but a lot of coral it so lost a lot of flies.
good fun anyway. i look forward to going again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:10am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Next time Brad find an outflowing reef channel at low tide and rip your fly through it... really rip it through. With the speed of the outflowing water and the forward moving fly you'll wonder how anything can catch it, but they do.

Apart from that larger bluefin trevs in the reef lagoon can be as tricky as bonefish. They don't like disturbance and require an expert stalk to get near them. I'm sure they're even trickier in Raro where there is a lot more fishing pressure. A great fish but!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 6:16pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 6:25am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, I wonder if Gavin still does trips there? Those are amazing flats, and the catch rate looked ok, for a place with heavy netting, but you're not going to get people to travel to a 'harder' destination (more cost, less home comforts) unless there is something special bout the fishing. Bloody hard to get the islanders to give up those nets. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:32am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nail head hit there Craig! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:22pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agreed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:05am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

And it begs the question - how would you transform an island like this into a dynamic sport fishery? Promises of silver from fishing tourists who "will come" are fairly hard to believe for an island community that has to live day-to-day.

The way I see it, in the island example above, you would have to arrange for an upgrade of the airport, establish some sort of solar powered fish chilling facility on the island to encourage better utilisation of fish that are caught, supply at least two deep-water capable vessels with decent sounders and deepwater drop-lining capabilities, organise for the excess catch from these operations to be distributed to the all the villages, and finally buy-out (somehow) the fishing rights to the flats fishery from the locals. H'mmm Ermm ...  that's a lot of money!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:49am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has another visited Tabuearan Island (Fanning) in the Line Island Group of Kiribati? Any advice appreciated. I'm aware of Pegasus Lodge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 12:42pm
Gold
Gold

Nonouti: I travelled to the island in Aug 2015 and there hadn't been any trips for 2-3 years. For the previous 2-3 years, there had been about 2 trips a year.  

Trip reports were positive and the island population continues to slowly decline and there's no domestic export of BF.  They have been netting BF for a long time and the population seems consistent. Yes, it would be nice if netting stopped in favour of similarly safe alternative protein sources. 

When I was there, the accommodation had started to deteriorate since the project/Council investment and I was told (unsure) that the guides had moved away. The local fisheries officer was pushing to get commercial opportunities going but this didn't involve SWF BF, and the Major didn't mention it as a prospect. A project of good intentions but it would take a solid and sustained investment.

Perhaps Pegasus Lodge on Tabuaeran Island (Fanning) is a good example of how to build the `industry' given it faces similar challenges? However, it is more accessible to the US market (Hawaii flight). 

An entrepreneurial spirit is probably the key missing ingredient and understandably rare in a mainly subsistence culture.  The young fisheries officer on Abaiang (who has set-up a resort - mainly accom only) would probably be the best bet and there is some good fishn' on Abaiang with several protected areas for clam and sea cucumber production.   
I was working during my 2015 visit and didn't fish but plan to return with a fishn' rod before the end of the year or early next year. The fishn' is still highly rated by I-Kiribati who, arguably have the best tropical fishn' in the world.

R, Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:07am
Gold
Gold

I recently traveled to Kiritimati Island for work and was interested in observing the fishery given the continued deterioration of the lagoon's water quality as the population increases (planning objective of the Kiribati Govt and Line Islands Council).  

I was impressed with the bonefish population and fishery management.  Clearly, the $1,000 AUD fine and the threat of deportation for non-I-Kiribati is effective.  The fish populations seem strong but probably should be studied given the changes underway on the island.

I did get out for my first ever bonefish, albeit, under equipped and with only half a day.  Guide set-up was good (through The Villages) and I caught at least a doz bones and missed a 50-60lb GT (probably best). Lessons for me (stupid novice):

- Take a greater range of flies including weights (mine were mostly too heavy)
- Be ready to fish shallow
- Take purpose made footwear (novice mistake)
- Accuracy with the 13wgt declines quickly so a lighter/2nd rod is important (13wght purchased for FYT, GTs and sails)
- Practice accuracy before traveling
- Taking a guide, at least to begin with i.e. 2-3 days, is important otherwise too many false positives (milkfish).

Other comments:

- Many fisher-folk spend their entire time on the island fishing and don't leave the accommodation when on land.  This is their choice but having spent 3 years working almost full-time in Kiribati I would say that they are missing out on getting to know arguably the nicest people in the world (IMO). Kiribati people are unique culturally and socially and there's a lot to learn from them that you won't experience in the motel/hotel nor with a guide on the flats.  You have to invest the time outside the accommodation to experience this.  Your choice though, of course.

- The Villages: community run and profits used to benefit the community.  Excellent accommodation, food, and fishn' operation.  I was less impressed with the cultural dancing.  Mainly Polynesian and not I-Kiribati. I-Kiribati dance is one of the most intricate in the world where they tell more detailed stories and legends with their hands than Polynesian dance.  Integrating more sexualized Polynesian-style dance (with 8 -14 yr olds) to appeal for donations means the fisher-folk are missing out the unique and interesting I-Kiribati dance.  Feedback to guiding operations on this would be worthwhile, and I'm sure the same level of donations would be achieved.

Final comment: I'm not hooked on bonefishing (yet) but would do it again (maybe half a day at a time).  Popper fishn' for GTs, now that's another thing altogether.  Next trip to the Line Islands: I holiday in Taburean Island in 2-3 years time - my flight was canceled this work trip.

Anyway, I hope at least a few find the above interesting.

Andrew 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:00am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thumbs UpAndrew, thanks for that... an interesting post. I fully agree with getting out and about a bit on any island rather than just fishing all the time. I like to fish hard from daybreak, come back for a leisurely brunch, then island explore in the afternoon. Six or seven days of doing that and you're just about knackered.

As for bonefishing CXI seems to be a bit of a numbers location with relatively small fish. Try walking all morning on an Aitutaki flat not seeing much then have 70cm+ fish swim your way! Gets knees knocking big time. As you say delicacy and accuracy of casting ability then pay big dividends. I find a casting bucket helps immensely in this regard... as does a nine weight!! Smile

Thumbs Up
Page  <1 1617181920 39>