Whitianga

Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kztrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:16am
Kztrev View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

05/02/2017
Fished the morning between Ohinau & flat island. Brother in law had me down 3 zip before the turn of the tide with biggest at 48cms. A lot of small fish around and gulps and even Zman getting hammered by leatherjackets and the like. After the turn of the tide I changed to redbone paddletail and then was all on. Put 4 in the bin with 3 around 47cm and 1 @ 36cm. caught as the first cast touched down on the bottom. Last 4 fish caught closer to flat island end.
Back to the batch for nice smoked snapper lunch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:01am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good fishing trev, were you just off that reef of flat, can fire up at times there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:21pm
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fishing has been very good though that area and up to Koropuki. Been filling my bin fairly quickly with a good line of snapper. Let a 77cm one go the other morning. Getting through the Kingies has been a bit of a problem at times. A lot better than a patchy January.
All on softbaits (is there any other way to fish?) Zmans and any colour seems to be working
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:11pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The weather was just to good to be not on the water, Saturday early start from Kuaotunu and out to my normal spot, had a really good bite time from 7.15 till 8.15, one minute the sounder has fish sign everywhere next its empty, headed out to the 35m mark but not much there, came back to the first spot and put a few more in the bin, ended with 18 very nice fish, 

This morning another early start from Kuaotunu, was solo this time, back to the same spot as the day before.  straight into them, less than an hour from leaving the ramp I was heading back in. 
All the fish over both days were between 350 and 480, one other going 550, All caught on soft baits, zmann pink prawn did the most damage Saturday, gulp pumpkin seed swimming mullet today. fishing in 20m straight out from rings beach. Bite time is very short only around an hour. Great fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:23pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice work! Thanks for the update.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:48pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great report Dave, but what will your Missus say when you drink all her beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:07pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Waikato labels have fallen off?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:08am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheeky buggas, The Waikato and Tui are in the other beer fridge. 

The snapper fishing is starting to  really kick into gear up there, for next couple of months iot will be all on.

The macks  must not be in Whiti bay either as the Epic boys are heading past me up to Whanga reef. Long way to go to get baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:34am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Dave,good to hear they are biting.
Will you be at the Alto comp this year?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:16pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Nice one Dave,good to hear they are biting.
Will you be at the Alto comp this year?

Just realised that was a dumb question Dave , with Rom leaving the building..duh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 7:26am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea Matty without Rommona being there there is no Alto for me. Might give you a chance to get on the podium now. What dates are tourno?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 9:53am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ha ha yeah without you burglar s there!
It's on the 18th March..Hoping for good weather this year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:25pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fond memories - you beat our boat on the fish front but I drunk your beer so even stevens I reckon worksux
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 5:53pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can buy lots of beer with those rods and reels we collected Scotty. I seem to remember you being happy chappy holding up your winning fish until Rommona held his fish up, We had a quiet chuckle to ourselves. Lots of muttering comming from The beast.

Matty, I'll be up there that whole week, PM me your phone number and I'll send some marks when I get back on the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 10:07pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Churr!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 10:31am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your memory is too good there Dave. Its taken a lot of counselling sessions to get to the stage of being able to talk about being upstaged by the Worksuxs crew.

The Beast came in second, there I admit it. But from memory that winning fish had very sunken in eyes, almost looked 24hrs old ;-)...or is creating that memory just the way I have been able to get over it...damn more counselling sessions haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 1:26pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having a lot of heritage in Coro and growing up there, Ive seen the east coast change a lot. IMO its not close to the place it use to be, so its nice to see some people doing well. When it was good, you would catch fish like this in winter off the rocks often. Thats what happens when you get islands so accessible to a major town.

Freediving the mercs, there just isnt the fish life there that there once was. I guess that can be said for a lot of populated areas.

My preference is east coast for Snapper and Port Jackson for Kingfish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:33pm
PukeFisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

got some nice snapper off centre island sunday among the boats down there, snapper are really starting to come back on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:30pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Puke, done some fishing up there on Saturday work comp..
Had a ball on rat kings that were on all the pins from ohinau thru to Cobra.
Left the bottom fishing a bit late so only had 2 hrs to get it done..Off Red in 35m got a 6kg and two 5kgs snaps . Surprised us by getting 2nd,3rd and 4th in the tourney.
Fishing seems to going well, wish I got to fish there more!
Thanks to Worksux for the good oil too,.Top man
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:05pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Skunk and well deserved.
Been up the bach for the week, Wife working and the son at school so just me having some time out.  The fishing has been not to bad out from Kuaotunu.
Sunday had to work for them, 14 decent fish and a good trev.
Wednesday took two neighbors with me, One of them is  from LA and only uses his place for a couple months of the year, He done next to no fishing so for him to catch a nice snapper with his very first drop made his day, We filled the bin, later he had a crash course of filleting. After butchering a side he was relegated  to cleaning the gills from the heads.
Friday morning was a solo fish, got a few before rushing home to set the crab pot, 2hrs  for 47 crab. 

Man I just love  this place.

Best bait was gulp jigging shrimp, flavour pumpkin seed and with only 4 to a pack they are quite expensive on the pocket when those little mongrel leather jackets are around.

Page  <1 1112131415 17>