New Berkeley Fireline Exceed

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Berkeley Fireline Exceed
    Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 11:17pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I needed to remove 100metres of perfectly good 10lb Microfuse off a reel to make room for a lighter line. 4lb Microfuse is getting hard to source, so went with 2kg fireline. Made by the same parent company apparently. 

This line is crazy thin, thinner than 4lb microfuse. Got about 50m of 9lb mono on the stradic 2500 spool, and then all 135metres of Microfuse. I reckon I could have put a lot more on as well, my reel with the microfuse goes all the way to the lip with no issues; this is about 2mm off. 

Managed to tie a successful bimini on my third attempt. First two slipped under pressure when testing but didn't break until nearly 3kg. I'm told that this line is rated at its break, or closer to it.

I've connected a 8lb fluoro leader with a GT knot then tied a 4lb length of fluoro to that with a surgeons knot. The theory is that a fair bit of the fishing will be freshwater so 4lb should be ok, but if I snag then I won't need to retie the full GT knot. Can also tie a 15lb bite leader for the salt.

I was thinking about 15lb leader connected with a GT, but was concerned it would affect a light lures action, even if joined to a light trace/tippet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 9:55am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Well I needed to remove 100metres of perfectly good 10lb Microfuse off a reel to make room for a lighter line. 4lb Microfuse is getting hard to source, so went with 2kg fireline. Made by the same parent company apparently. 

This line is crazy thin, thinner than 4lb microfuse. Got about 50m of 9lb mono on the stradic 2500 spool, and then all 135metres of Microfuse. I reckon I could have put a lot more on as well, my reel with the microfuse goes all the way to the lip with no issues; this is about 2mm off. 

Managed to tie a successful bimini on my third attempt. First two slipped under pressure when testing but didn't break until nearly 3kg. I'm told that this line is rated at its break, or closer to it.
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">I've connected a 8lb fluoro leader with a GT knot then tied a 4lb length of fluoro to that with a surgeons knot. The theory is that a fair bit of the fishing will be freshwater so 4lb should be ok, but if I snag then I won't need to retie the full GT knot. Can also tie a 15lb bite leader for the salt.</span>
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">I was thinking about 15lb leader connected with a GT, but was concerned it would affect a light lures action, even if joined to a light trace/tippet.</span>
</span>
</span>

Think I've got some 3 pd micro fuse here if you want it ?
I've done a fair bit of freshwater fishing with 4 pd microfuse and 1 pd,used 6 pd leader tied to main line with a Bimini double to a yuca tan knot,alway cast with full leader off rod tip so knots don't go thru guides.
Doing this with saltwater light tackle as well as there's less dramas
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 8:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

That's a generous offer, but it will probably just stay in the cupboard for a couple of years now I've got fresh line on.

I went out with the family to explore Lake Karapiro today. I like the line a lot. Last time I bought fireline back in 2012 I didn't like the fluff, but that line is still going strong on my daughter's reel. I'll see if they've improved it any.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:42pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I bought some fire line exceed recently 4lb apparently, and agree it's very thin. The casting with this is amazing.. Have caught some solid fish with it as well so can't fault it so far. I was sceptical with fire line, never really liked it much before but the ability to cast so much further with thin line is hard to not want more of it.

I can only imagine the sinking rate is way better with this stuff, the lure gets to the bottom better and stays on the bottom longer effectively increasing the time your lure is actively fishing especially when the wind gets up.

So far it gets the thumbs up!
Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TJH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 8:39am
TJH View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi OneWay Traffic  I have been getting keen on trout fishing recently, got a rod and reel for my birthday back in october spooled with 3kg fireline exceed never used it before, my knots all slipped even after using specific knots off the berkley web site, so a quick text to Capt Asparagus and I was off around to his new man cave for a bit of advise on knots and setting up, we set it up double line bimini twist tied to 6.8kg vanish flurocarbon leader, went down to Karapiro on Tuesday to try my luck using my tried and trusted sebile 14g flat shad but with no luck tried a little 3.7g sub dog then a 2.5g scumdog but no luck either, saw several trout over quite an area but no takers, found the exceed casted very well especially into the wind with the smaller lures, and like you said very small dia,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 8:48am
Platinum
Platinum

I had to bimbo slip. (Lol iPhone auto correct)

The trick is to put in a lot of twists. I did about 50 I think.
I'd consider attaching a lighter length of fluoro to your leader. 6.8kg might impede the lure action.

4lb is enough to catch the majority of trout, 8lb will catch any trout. 

I'd suggest 8lb for most water around the Waikato, the water doesn't seem to be gin clear. Too much runoff into the water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 11:14am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ah-ha! So all the fish have not been caught there yet! Excellent news! :-)
I hope to get up there early in the week, see if I can find a fish or two for some more calendar type photos.
Were you fishing right up the stream there TJH?
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 2:17pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Ah-ha! So all the fish have not been caught there yet! Excellent news! :-)
I hope to get up there early in the week, see if I can find a fish or two for some more calendar type photos.
Were you fishing right up the stream there TJH?

I'm available and have own camera
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:12pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lol, good try, but I too have a camera, and as they say, two is company..... :-)
New model, so just some preliminary shots I expect.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:14pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

12/10
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 7:00pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've used the Old Berkley Fireline Exceed, it frays easily but better casting compared to Powerpro.

With that being said, i bought some of the latest ones to try out @ the canals.

I use Alberto knot to connect 6-10lb braid to 8lb fluoro and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54N-K1fCw6w

Never had a slip (touch wood) but had fluoro leader broke off once before the knots did.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 6:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thought I'd post an update. 

Had a breakage last night on a West coast fish (probably a kahawai) I was running about a kg of drag and broke the line as the fish dived under the boat. Pretty sure it wasn't contacting the hull at the time. Line casts like a dream and I've landed some good pannies on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 3:36pm
Platinum
Platinum

And another breakage on another kahawai last Saturday. Same situation. 

1 kg drag (tested on scales, and smooth) breakage a few metres above my leader. 

Shock loading I think, or a rub off on the underside of the boat.

I'm thinking of using one of my light setups for inchikus but will need to beef up the braid. At $10-$20 a lure it gets expensive.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 3:56pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Stuart, a random thought (maybe not so random - sparked by your comment "it parted a few metres above the leader"):

I have found that Fireline does wear, specially on baitcaster reels. But I can't get more than about 2 years out of Fireline on my infrequently-used spin reels, either.

I am wondering if your lighter Fireline may be wearing running in and out through line guides, and if that is the case, it would most likely be in that first few metres where the most wear would be.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 1:50am
Platinum
Platinum

I was wondering about that myself. However given that I've had two breakages in a week with two separate kahawai now dragging around a leader and line, I've splashed out and bought a bulk spool of 5kg Fireline exceed. I have the 5kg line on another reel and used that to catch some fish after the break off. I'll put the 2kg line on a spare spool and hold it for a session on trout some time.

The bulk spool should last a few years, and 5kg line is about 6lb in the old money. Capable of landing the majority of fish.

I'm planning to do more inchiku jigging with the light rods, so thought that at $10+ per break off in line, leader and lure plus the effect on the fish that it would be worthwhile. 

As an aside, it is a LOT of fun playing kahawai on the light gear. I switched to a 6-8kg rod after the break off and it was effective (using a jitterbug) but less fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:26am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

The bulk spool should last a few years, and 5kg line is about 6lb in the old money. Capable of landing the majority of fish.

5kg = +/- 11lb; Fireline typically tests 2x at least what the label says.

My heaviest SB lines are rated at 10lb, so I'm sure 5kg will handle pretty much anything you'd expect to hook, unless you're fishing from the rocks.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

I think Paulus has it at about 7.8kg if I read his site correctly. That's the same as fireline original 6lb. Paulus records average Diameter is the same too (~0.22mm.)

Anyway, it seems thin enough, strong enough and in bulk, is cheap enough.

I still have 12lb microfuse on a 6-8kg rod, and an unused spool of 20lb powerpro waiting for a reel to put it on.

I think the trick with lines is to go as light as you can to hook more fish, but stop as soon as they start breaking line. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:54pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And another breakage on another kahawai last Saturday. Same situation. 

1 kg drag (tested on scales, and smooth) breakage a few metres above my leader. 

Shock loading I think, or a rub off on the underside of the boat.

I'm thinking of using one of my light setups for inchikus but will need to beef up the braid. At $10-$20 a lure it gets expensive.

How do you know the breakage is a few metres above your leader? Could it be at your leader knot?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Downtown.

I generally don't run huge long leaders, just a rods length.

My knot is secure, since I learned the GT knot on light line (it's kind of like a modified FG) I haven't had one slip though I have tried.

But in this case I know because of how much  line the fish had out, and how much I got back. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:27am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

im using 20lb exceed in black on my baitrunner, the strands seem to want to come apart pretty easily when crushed or bent and the line melts pretty easily so not sure how much heat from friction would cause it to break but has been good so far though but id be concerned to go much smaller then 15lb. reminds me of dental floss. weird stuff. 
Page  12>