4m boat out to Little Barrier / Hen & Chicks

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4m boat out to Little Barrier / Hen & Chicks
    Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 10:08pm
markosharknz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So, over the break wanting to take the boat out a little further afield than fishing in the inner gulf.

Looking at going up to Omaha (Or suggest alternatives), and heading out to hen and chicks or to little barrier.

What do I need to look for weatherwise to ensure I have a nice clean window.

Is that area so fished out, I'd be better of staying in Auckland?

Any help would be much appreciated..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 10:20pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I took my 4.5m boat over many times in fact took it to Great Barrier. The key things I have found Is get a westerlies this makes the channel the flattest possible. When planning your times across try go on both sides of the dead tide. Avoid westerlies and incoming time. Try get a day with little swell. You will most likely be heading side ways through any swell rather than straight into it. I wouldn't go to Hen and Chicks from Omaha. Mangawahi would be better with the same conditions hug the north side as you going out. In small swell and westerlies the bar is very doable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 10:50pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What is the point in doing this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 1:10am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went very close to the barrier on tuesday,left from army bay took 90 mins to get there,got a bashing like ive never had, forcast was 15 dropping to 5 var, came home in 20 knots of southerly, forecast was way out.was in 5 mtr centre console
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 6:44am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The point is Keith C is that you can do it. As long as safely. I use a Pontoon Boat, all safety gear, regularly service motor, check forecasts and pick my days. You should do all this anyway. I use my Mac420 to cross Manukau Bar have done over a 100 times - yes I could have bought a bigger boat and spent lots and got another vehicle or tractor to tow it, would need another property to park it etc etc.
But at the end of the day I enjoy it and still do.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 7:25am
Silver
Silver

Having never taken my boat over a bar, or been in a boat going over a bar, managawhai might be a place to avoid

Other option for hen + chicks would be Marsden point - 30 mins longer to drive, but a lot closer

Was figuring that I was going to aim for a westerly- Give it 3 days if there has been a northerly beforehand to help drop the swell levels as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 7:38am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I launched from Marsden Point years ago - nice spot. There are plenty of promising looking spots out there along the heads so if rough on day you can always go to a close in spot. Right about wind - for me on West Coast its the Easterlies I look for....
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 3:58pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what sort of 4 metre boat mako shark.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 11:05pm
Silver
Silver

Zenith Fisher
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-816122128.htm

Minus the canopy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:41am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

What is the point in doing this?

What is the point in posting this ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:24am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by markosharknz markosharknz wrote:

Zenith Fisher
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-816122128.htm

Minus the canopy

Nice looking boat. More substantial than a open 4 m tinny. But even so it is still 4 m , so take care and if it were me i would be watching for a good weather window and picking smaller tides so if you do unexpectedly get wind against tide a smaller tide will throw up less steep seas.
Make sure you take extra fuel and plenty of fresh drinking water in case it takes longer than expected. Dehydration out on the sea is not good.

I find www.weatherwatch.co.nz has good long range wind maps. just click on maps--wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 11:18am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Some people would go those distances in a kayak but it's all about risk. The ocean has a mind of it's own, there's never any guarantees on the weather and if it gets gnarly then it can be a long way home from places like that. I've had similar experiences to Of2Fsh in 6m boats so those things are worth thinking about before you cast and blast off in a 4m.  At this time of year the fishing is likely to be as good in close as out there.

End of the day your call and if you do plan trips like that maybe team up with a bigger boat and make sure you've covered all the safety angles. Good luck.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 12:16pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

hahaha we are a bunch of pussies these days, heaven forbid the guy that use to run the farm on Gt Mercury had a wooden leg and rowed a 14ft clinker to Whitianga for supplies and a night out in the pub,
i know this because my Grand Father said he and his brothers used to nail his wooden leg to a tree while he lay there drunk that night....
yes ive picked the weather and have been across in my 14ft Frypan quite a few times to Lt Barrier but in saying that you need to know what your boat is capable of and know the weather is very settled....
its your call and your life is it worth the risk, like Grunta said some great fishing in close at the moment....  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:03pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mako, good advice here.
I have seen lots of boat in the 4 to 4.5 metre size at the Hen & Chicks.
A well equipped 4 metre runabout should easily do it. I have dived the Chicks in a 14 foot Fireball and 40hp from Marsden Point - it was a great trip.
I have seen lots of boat in the 4 to 4.5 metre size at the Hen & Chicks. It attracts Frewza F14s!
But they mostly come from Marsden Point - Marsden Cove and other ramps or from Mangawhai.
From Omaha, you have a long open sea slog from Cape Rodney to the Hen which you should avoid.
My boat is 9.4m and I have had the westerly make a sure nasty chop making that an uncomfortable leg. 

The advise about Little Barrier is excellent to. Always be prepared to make the choice to bail out and turn for home. 
This picture was taken last Easter Sunday about 5 pm, we had great fishing at little Barrier then a front came through, so we are making a beeline for Kawau and a calm night. Looks calm in the picture but it soon became real snotty......we are doing about 8 to 9 knots here.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:18pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The times Ive taken my 5 Mtr cc to the barrier I've done it from gulf hbr,I find the patch of water from little barrier to Omaha can be terrible on the way home.comming home from the barrier there's always a bigger boat heading into auckland,catch a lift behind it all the way to the back of tiri.
Last week I was doing it tough in the sloppy seas at 13 knts on my way towards channel island,jumped in behind a 7.5 Mtr boat and trundled along at just under 30 knots at full throttle.
I'm always keen to get over there so pm me anytime you think the weathers good and I'll tag along in my boat
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:29pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive done the trip to LB and beyond plenty of times in a launch..  have to agree with the 2 previous guys...   it can really get shyty between LB and Takatu when the wind is against the tide.. ..same for Chicks to Marsden...  keep that in mind ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 9:28am
Silver
Silver

I was thinking about launching on an incoming tide, so get the worst of the weather on the way out, or ensuring that I'm returning at least an hour before the tide starts to turn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:57pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

best is when the wind and tide are moving in the same direction Marko,
you will find it happens quite a lot and makes for calmer seas..

ive done the Moko's in 20knots current with wind easy, coming home the next day in 25knots with swells twice the size of my boat but the wind had turned and we were motoring along with the conditions, i had to be right because i had Rick Pollock onboard and as you may know a respected Charter Skipper wouldn't of liked being knocked around in a tinny

when you start to understand the conditions and how they can make or break a trip then you will be confident with going to these places....
experience in doing it takes time and some close shaves may happen and you will learn from that if not then you shouldnt be even trying to attempt these journeys...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 3:10pm
Silver
Silver

Yeah, I know about that.... Southerly + incoming tide through the Tiri channel, scared the crap outta me. I think it took about an hour to get through there

Good thing with that boat, even if it does decide to nose dive into a big wave, we don't get green water straight over the screen of the boat (unlike the old sea nymph...)

Looking at the tides for Marsden point - Might aim for a trip on the 3rd Jan.
High tide at 6:55, leave here at 5, in the water bang on high, if the weather is snotty, stay close around the heads, if it is clear, head out. If we fish the western side of the islands, we will be able to see any changes in the weather and run, that should give us about 4-5 hours of fishing (1PM low tide)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 3:40pm
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

'hahaha we are a bunch of pussies these days' - classic!

Omaha to LB is longer and worse in my experience. The better run is Mangawhai to Hen and chicks. Mangawhai bar is not an issue most of the time- just check the swell.

Head north up the coast, do the run over to sail rock, and then the hop to the Hen. Quite doable on the right day.
Page  12>