Pictures and or illustrations or it didn't happen.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (17) Likes(17)   Quote cartoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures and or illustrations or it didn't happen.
    Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:26pm
cartoonz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed a couple of trips out. By the signs, it looks like these are my last winter dives.

I found my first dory for the season. It's still out there as I was'nt tooled up. Just out for a look and grab a cray and some mussels. Water pretty hazy and cold but the signs are there...

I my first jelly fish as well. This thing was just about to attack me but managed to turn round just in time.

Beutaful but deadly. I always get a hard time from these things and suffer swollen lips and rashes . And every year I always swear I'm going to slap on vasaline before every dive. Wrong.

How's this for a bit of treasure. I found this brand new anchor and chain tied off to a bouy. I thought I'd dive down and free it for the owner. It was in a real  nasty hole and took me a fair bit to get it unstuck. I left it in the open. A few days later I was going past in my boat and it was still there. I text and rang the number on the bouy but have had no replys? The chain and anchor are in a sack behind my shed if the owner ever wants it back.

As I was washing down my gear, my house was pelted by a couple of huge hail storms. I had to abandon washing all my gear and rush inside for a beer.

My daughter took this photo of the hail lying in a couple of paua shells on our deck.

I was keen to take a photo of a Porae. It was pretty hard as all these stupid tarakihi kept getting in the way. You can see a porae but it was the only one I could find. Next time.

Here's a picture of a Demoiselle.
Found these 2 fat snapper sleeping right up in the shallows. My dive mate nailed a real beaut. It went  well over 6kg.
7 is the new limit right? Fresh fillets to go with my oven chips for the next few days. Mint.
I took all my gilled and gutted frames to my mate. He was so happy he gave me a small punnet of white bait.
I have never cooked white bait before. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some more.

CheersGeek

Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing club.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:49pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Glen Innes Spearfishing Club strikes again!
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 2:17pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That anchor looks very familiar. Is this from Tauranga? Was it very much all chain? Will PM you. F me, I hope my old man hasn't gone and lost his bloody anchor. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spear crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 3:41pm
spear crazy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You are awesome cartoonz!
Axemen Spearfishing... "Putting the crap back into elite"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 8:22pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Best post eva
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 8:33pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

Best post eva

Yeah lj, it is a goodie.
thanked.
& if a few more do, toonz could win the Maui Jim sunglasses Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 8:36pm
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whish I could find the turks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 10:06pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will you adopt me please Toonz?

You are a bloody legend man. Epic post
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 10:11pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

thanked.
& if a few more do, toonz could win the Maui Jim sunglasses Big smile

Noted. Cheers Uncle. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 5:34pm
The Jackal View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report! whats the name of the jelly? we came across something very similar in the QCS over the weekend... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chalkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:36pm
chalkeye View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You live a charmed life Toonz. I want to be just like you when I grow up.
float like a crowbar, sting like a bee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:54pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Jackal The Jackal wrote:

Nice report! whats the name of the jelly? we came across something very similar in the QCS over the weekend... 

It is one of the many species of Cyanea I believe - or Lion's Mane
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 9:10pm
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OOOHHH! Just like in the Sherlock Holmes book! Plot spoiler : Not good for teachers...
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 9:11pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

Best post eva

True
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 9:35pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My kind of post , more pictures than words , gotta keep it simple for us idiot stickers.
Thanked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearo_steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 8:48pm
spearo_steve View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interesting how some of those Terakihi have rounded tails and some have sharp tails. Is that a difference between male and female?

We get a lot of imitation Terakihi up north, the kind that get you all excited, then confused and ultimately disappointed. Then the blighters grow up to be imitation snapper and create the same reaction all over again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tylz00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:07pm
Tylz00 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by spearo_steve spearo_steve wrote:

Interesting how some of those Terakihi have rounded tails and some have sharp tails. Is that a difference between male and female?

We get a lot of imitation Terakihi up north, the kind that get you all excited, then confused and ultimately disappointed. Then the blighters grow up to be imitation snapper and create the same reaction all over again.

story of my lifeCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:19pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Loved it toonz
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote cartoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 11:25am
cartoonz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The sea conditions have been fantastic over the last few weeks so I have tried to make the best of it. I've posted just a few sample photos plus an Illustration to back it up,..or it did'nt happen right?.

Even though the water is still a bit cold there was one day when tons of school fish appeared. Here is a large school of juvenile kahawai. I braced myslf for the pedators that were sure to come in. The kingfish did swoop in but I could not get a shot. Too quick for me. It's an impressive booming sound when so many of these fish all flick their tails the instant a kingfish charges them.

The other great predator to watch out for is the big bull dory. They often sneak up under these schools, swimming on their sides looking like some sort of flying saucer. This picture caught me off guard. This big dory came up under me and got so close. Too bad my camera focus setting was not set properly. I could only get this picture. Magic.

Motiti Island can be a dark cold dive this time of year but it still holds good fish and you can always go home with a good feed.  These tarakihi are a bit smaller than turks in other areas I hunt but are the best eating. They are very firm of flesh and are a real bonus when you can find them in the murky waters.

I have learnt over the years to get your Chritmas crayfish by the beginning of December because the weather always packs up. Come Xmas day all the rellies are demanding their crayfish. I'm sorted after grabbing these beauties. I'll take them out of the freezer on Christmas eve.

I have this technique when looking for dory. If I spook one in the gloom, I will dive to the bottom and lie there as long as possible without moving with my arse sticking up and wait for the dory to swim back. When you are finally blue in the face return to the surface. The other day I was doing just this when I got hell of a fright. Something bit me on the arse, real hard..!!

It is amazing what goes through your mind in that split second before you turn and face your attacker.

Jesus FFFFFF Christ. Bloody rock cod. This bugger just sat there looking right at me. I gave him a fair peice of my mind that's for sure. **** I got a fright.

By the way, I continued with my "Stay on the bottom until you go blue in the face" tactics and it worked. The johnny came flying past with his ears pinned back right past me. It was amazing I managed to get it in the frame.     ****ing blue cod.

This was a real big bull dory. He was trying to hide behind a bit of rock which made it a lot easier for me to get up close.

He did not seem to be in any hurry. Good luck to him.

Having lots of nice photos is great but a man still has to eat.

Too much..?

CheersGeek

Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing club.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 1:03pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

toonz – your posts are always a highlight on this forum. Great pics – almost spilled my coffee over the keyboard seeing the cod pic after your write/draw up LOL

Page  12>