Lake back in action.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake back in action.
    Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 9:00am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Following extensive rebuilding Tokoroa's Lake Moana-Nui which basically meant rebuilding the lake from scratch is now re stocked with rainbow's into the lake and the tributary stream.Provided the lake is respected (not poached) this could be great resource in the next couple of years. Previously it produced fish to double figures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 6:09am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Checking it this week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:16am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I grew up in Tokoroa so used to fish the lake a lot when I was a kid. Quite amazing the number of large trout that were pulled out the the place.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 11:51am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know. Had hoped to go this afternoon but currently pouring here!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:11pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bit of cooler weather forecast this week so will see where the fish are at having been in there now for four months. Make a pleasant change to the Rotorua stream mouths probably have the place to myself....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:34pm
Crunch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:22am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not been yet, just waiting for the predicted cooler weather. 30 degrees and bright still days at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 4:57pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Paid a visit today in the warm bright conditions. No fish but plenty of adult damsels and dragon flies in the shallows and shallow weed growth to support insects.
Im guessing like lots of lakes these bright hot conditions do not suit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 8:08pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

steady rain falling now and after a week of on and off rain, together with a chance to study the lake rebuild and Im thinking the dam wall is the place to try tomorrow. Water up to 20' deep.
Loaded a new RIO Intouch type 3 #6 line so lets see what the deeper water holds. Going to tube it soon also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 5:28pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just back from the lake 3 fish between 30 to 35 cm so not big but shows they are growing. Small group of boys there as well handed the rod to one to land the last one and he got to take the successful fly home. All three released.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 6:12pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Forwarded these results to F and G today who were pleased to see the fish were at where they would hoped to be at 30cm length.
I'll fish it again soon but with barbless hooks so fish have a better catch and release, be interesting to see where the fish are at by June.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 3:48pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well bad news for the lake. it appears to build a jetty (of little value) the Council without informing F and G rapidly lowered the lake flushing the fish at the same time, those that survived! we pay rates to these individuals who harp on about environmental  issues but then do this stupid act!
Will be next May now before any more fish can go in.
Ive sent an email to their parks manager wonder if they will reply?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 10:23pm
Crunch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They emptied it over night, I couldn't believe it.  That overflow pipe they have built is a stupid idea no trout or eels will ever get up that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 7:26am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive not yet received a reply from the Council,(I doubt I will) letter next approach. F and G are trying to get extra fish but are angry that the council did not consult them, fish are NOT cheap. The lowering overnight tends to show the council don't care about the fishery.Angry
F and g need a commitment though that this will not happen again before though any fish are restocked.
Did they completely drain the lake or lower it to a level so this jetty (which only seems to be there for the flow valve) could be built? Thumbs Down
I wonder if the council will promote the Take a Kid fishing in 2016? I doubt it, so again the kids in town miss out, I regularly see the mayor where I get my coffee each morning maybe I should ask him on Monday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 11:52pm
Crunch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

they dropped it down to a creek with puddle infront of the dam. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 4:26pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive received two emails from the Council both seem to show they did not have any real knowledge of the effects on the fish and appear they will do it again if they need to kill the weed, which again will have a detrimental effect on the fish and could mean no more stocking if the council cannot assure f and G it will not again be lowered.
All up looks like a lose lose for the fish and local kids keen to catch fish.Angry