School me

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 78SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me
    Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 8:06pm
78SS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,
I want to have a go fishing for koi carp around the Waikato but I know nothing about it so I need some schooling on how to do it, especially what tackle to use, baits and everything else ha ha.
Any advice advice would be helpful, Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:45pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Google Carp Fishing Tips.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 1achuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 1:17pm
1achuck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A good place to start would be to have a look at the Coarse Fishing NZ site.
For tackle I would go for a 12' rod, bait runner reel with 10 to 12 lb line, some 2oz & 3oz sinkers, some 8 lb line for your hook length and some size 10 & 12 hooks.
For bait you need look no further than the supermarket, tinned sweetcorn & bread are both good hook baits and burly with a bag of defrosted frozen corn.
You don't need to cast far out as you will find most of the koi in the margins and around weed begs.
I found that an in coming tide was more productive especially when you can combine it with first or last light.
Waikato Pest Monitor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 78SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:46pm
78SS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks 1achuck, Thats just the info I was after.
I was sold some size 4 black magic hooks and lead shot by Hunting & Fishing, will look for some larger hooks.
This weekend I found a pond stuffed with Koi carp, I have never seen so many fish, only problem was none of them would take my corn, really frustrating but I shall persevere. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 78SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:39am
78SS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

One more question, How far from the sinker should I tie the hook?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tab47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:12pm
tab47 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bugger the sinkers and rod buy a speargun and deal to the *******.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 8:27am
David Robson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

On a hot day during the summer, you will see them on the top, so I recommend float fishing with sweetcorn or a dog biscuit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1achuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 12:09pm
1achuck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You will have to experiment with the length of line from sinker to hook, the shortest I ever fish was 6" with anything from 6" to 18".
The simplest rig to use is a running sinker, slide a swivel clip on your mainline and below this have a bead which will protect your knot on the swivel, next tie on you swivel and attach your hook length to the other end of the swivel.
If you have found a regular spot to fish then go down there on a regular basis and bait up with corn, it may take a while for them to accept it as a food source.
I'm not 100% sure what they eat naturally, but I have observed them with their noses tight against the bank feeding either on the fresh shoots of grass or whatever is living amongst it.
They will take a floating pice of bread crust or dog biscuit, but again it takes a long time to educate them that it is food. 
Waikato Pest Monitor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 78SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:24pm
78SS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well I have learnt alot about carp fishing, finally managed to hook a couple last weekend. Because they are so gentle feeders, kind of remind me as the fish equivalent of cows as they move slow and graze, you dont feel them bite, in fact if you dont see them take the bait you dont know that they have at all. So I have been putting the bait quite near the bank so I can see it and then strike when they take it. Corn seems to be quite a good bait, they know its food. Found a spot where a stream runs into a river which they love to hang around, counted a dozen at one stage and there are some truly massive ones. Cant wait for next weekend, my mission this summer is to catch at least 1 good sized Carp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 4:52pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by tab47 tab47 wrote:

why kill them? they don't really destroy the waterways, thats just lies made up by fish and game so that they dont have competition for their troutAngry
I only fish on days that end in "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 5:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by David Robson David Robson wrote:

Originally posted by tab47 tab47 wrote:

why kill them? they don't really destroy the waterways, thats just lies made up by fish and game so that they dont have competition for their troutAngry

Surely you're not advocated illegal fishing David Angry. I think most people would rather have trout in our waterways than koi.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

Surely you're not advocated illegal fishing David Angry. I think most people would rather have trout in our waterways than koi.
[/QUOTE]

The only reason its illegal to release them is because DoC and F&G made up lies about them, any way I can't justify killing an innocent fish just because, if I'm eating it it's a different story, but not just because some money grabbing officials said so.
I only fish on days that end in "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 10:06am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are none so blind as those who will not see. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 2:52pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

There are none so blind as those who will not see. 

A truer comment about DOC has not been said.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 4:47pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DOC? Nope, it was directed at you, David Robson and your homeboys. Your comment proves my point quite well, thank you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 6:22pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Really? It reads in response to a comment about DOC so perhaps look at your own writing, after all today we find out a DOC worker shot the very bird they are meant to be protecting after not identifying their target. (and he had a gun licence?)There is also considerable evidence that their 1080 campaign is killing the very forests they are meant to protect. DOC could not see in these examples tends support what I said.
I would suggest that myself and David Robson have a little more understanding of fisheries based on your posts here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 6:45pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

I would suggest that myself and David Robson have a little more understanding of fisheries based on your posts here.

You're welcome.
Pleased that I've been able to educate you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:01pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In ignorance yes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:24pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Weak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 8:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm with Herby for what it is worth. Wasn't the release of koi into New Zealand waterways illegal in the first place?

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  12>