Wairarapa Wanderings

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 4:16pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Any sign of cicadas over your way Paul? They have been pretty absent over this side of the hill so far.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 10:03am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry about the delay been away down the South Island.

We had a brief flurry then they seem to have stopped, mind you with the weather the way it is cant fish to many of the rivers anyway.

Will let you know when the come onto full song.

The only excuse for not having a go is.... Sir I'm dead Sir !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 12:45pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not sure what's happening this year down here, river flows vary between  255 cumecs and 12, it seems like every 10 days.  Crazy floods and then a few days ago snow to the tree line which has dropped the river temp for a bit, while meanwhile the local council now say one of the tributaries  is unsafe due to Algae bloom issues.

Second year in a row we don't seem to have cicada's in any number, brown beetle  (Grass Grub) flights have been spasmodic at best, and yet we had one of the worst years ever last year for Grass Grub in the field....  Haven't been up into the hills it may be very different up there, cicada wise.

When we can fish, there seem to be good numbers of larger fish around (for this area) below Masterton, very few above, compared to previous years( well I'm catching beggar all above town )  maybe the continual flooding is taking its toll on the smaller fish.

Also of note not seeing the bully numbers we used to either, again maybe due to flooding.

Catch you next week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 12:55pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

River back down to 11 cumecs  @ Wardells , after each fresh the level seems to settle lower... just starting to hear cicadas so hopefully things will go well.  Nice 4lb good condition brown  caught by a friends wife on a Zebra toby... while he was fly fishing with her.... he got zip lol 
Hearing the same things from my contacts, little or no small fish but there is above last years   average fish around in what seems to be good numbers.  Still doing well on small  ( size10) olive UV or black UV woolly buggar type flies, nymphing Ok  mainly princes smaller sizes and 14 pheasant tails,  some small hatches maybe the constant 10 day flooding affecting that too.  Going to try night fishing tonight let you know how we go..  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:38am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well that was an experience in casting .... river temp was 13.6 degrees and milky??? we thought they may have been taking stones from the river again upstream. One site we used to fish is now unrecognisable, just a straight drain really as the local authorities take huge amounts of base from the river bed just south of the Waingawa river confluence with the Rau.
Had one touch all session,  saw absolutely nothing feeding on the surface all evening into the night, with very very limited hatches happening , and  less invertebrates under the stones. While it was a beautiful evening the river "felt" empty didn't even see any eels after dark.

Didn't hear a single cicada??

Going to go closer to Greytown/Martinbrough later in the week hopefully better down further. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 11:41am
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stink, gravel extraction and cross blading F###s that river ... environmental vandalism .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 4:27pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah is pretty average, mate sent me photos of the river above Masterton today, running clear and still below has a definite cloudy look?? Caught up with another contact this morning who says he has stopped fishing the Rua  completely %&@$ed were his comments.

Turangi looking pretty good right now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:52am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

350 cumecs 5 days ago, fished it at 16.. 5 hours of casting practice, didn't even see a fish......from the cliffs up stream for quite a way, Nymphed up, and  wee wets in the riffles  and  deep streamers in the pools back down,  and still no cicadas.  Friend fishing below Gladstone got 1 little tacker well his boy did on spinner..   maybe just one of those days....  since end of Jan it just seems to have gone very quiet, mind you its only a week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:20pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out of sheer interest have had a look at river levels since November 1 2016
We have had 3  events over 300 cumecs
6 between  200 and 300 and 8 between 100 and 200, that is  17 flood type events in 12 weeks,  got to be doing some damage to the river life in total.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:32am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well something's not right.. 12 hours water time over the past 5 days, not a fish didn't even see any.  Very few invertebrates under the rocks, and cant seem to find any bullies.
 I have never gone 4 fishing sessions without even a take..
The usual  hide outs under the willows are even bare, however with the river "realignment" a number of old sites are now dry.
Possibly the high number of floods have damaged the eco system, or it could be man made I don't know.

Is any one catching fish in the Raumahunga??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:58am
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a worry alright , are the Trina holding fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 11:40am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well usually the sections between the forest park and the confluences are very sparse, we  normally start fishing these April, as the fish start thinking about returning upstream however once this flood goes through we are planning to start  venturing early, will let you know.

Something else we aren't seeing is any real number of cicadas, hearing them in town  but hardly on the river,  also field crickets, although probably to wet??And we had a little look for willow grub normally pretty good now but hardly found any....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 1:33pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The hutt hasn't been faring much better on the flooding side, I haven't had many opportunities to fish it to see if the fish are still there though.
Bugger all cicadas here either
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 3:14pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are on Cicada in the hills... but... every man and his dog is in there at any sniff of decent weather, literally two fine weekends and 100 guys pack into the ranges! It's like the Benny Hill show. Yup, Makka, virtually NIL Cicada activity in the greater Wellington area though, just the odd one on the wing and certainly not on the water yet, in fact they were not even on the wing or water in the ranges either, but fish are taking them. Poop season... Cry

Hawkes Bay and Northern Manawatu mate, that's the land of promise at the mo!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:18pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hopefully doing a drift dive with F&G Friday week, so will get a better idea of what's happening.

Mate just called as he was on his way back from Taupo so stopped at Vinegar Hill to have a cast in the Rangitikei, gave up pretty quick as he said there were small globs of green slime floating down the river, got fed up with cleaning it off.

On a good note the cicadas are going off around town, once the river clears up will see if they are in the outskirts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 3:56pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well after a few winter fishing excursions to the mighty Ruamahunga I have decided that whiskey and the fire are a much better option.
Something is going on, the worst year EVER  and its not just me. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:09pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It has been pretty dead the last few times I have fished it too, that said, a mate drifted it lower down a couple of weeks ago and did quite well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 8:38am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes the bottom section is holding a lot of perch and smaller fish, but anywhere sort of north of Greytown seems to have very little fish, even areas I know well seem to be empty.

Might stick to SW fly this year LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:52am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok so is any one having a good start to the season on the Ruamahunga??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 1:42pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't got over there yet but there are plenty of fish on this side of the hill at the moment!
Page  <1 2345>