Wairarapa Wanderings

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cam1o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 11:24pm
Cam1o View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Rivers are all pretty much flooded up now. Caught a small brown on the rua on a spinner about a month ago but its been to flooded to attempt again.

Went up to kourarau dam a couple of weeks ago for a fly fish using streamers and landed 3 rainbows. One 2 1/2 - 3 pounder and two small ones. Still good fun though. Saw a couple of other guys who also landed a couple of fish. If your really keen to get out and the rivers are up then its worth giving kourarau a shot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 12:16pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

Sorry been away for a while ( not in jail) but keen to continue.  Rau been literally up and down over the last couple months, although when in good state there are a solid number of fish around and what I've seen are in reasonably good condition.
Looking forward to a good season, as for me last one was not as good as previous ones.
Will keep the reports coming.  Gulfisher.
The only excuse for not having a go is.... Sir I'm dead Sir !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:44am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Welcome back Gulfisher!

Very keen to get a few reports as it's a hour drive from me to thereWink

Are you fishing the Rua all the way or preferably more up ,or middle ,or down??

I've fished the Rua so far mostly in the middle with limited success ,means a few fish but actually all pretty small!! 
Hard to find a proper access more downstream... didn't try upstream above the middle at all.

Cheers
Tilo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leggynymphz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:08pm
leggynymphz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was fishing a ruamahunga trib yesterday and had a decent brown take a black midge after noticing that it was quite active on the surface, first for the season for me.. was about 5lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 5:03pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Glad to be of assistance, don't fish the Rua to much above Masterton  to the Ranges,  there are good fish in the ranges but my knees are pretty toast for any long hikes,, getting old lol.  middle reaches around the Gladstone area can be very productive, esp where a tributary runs in, quite a number of 1-1.5 kg fish   not many bigger ones, my biggest I still think was an anomaly, but around April before the season closes I get the odd 2-2.5 brown I imagine running up stream, and always at the same spot.... which I keep forgetting where that is.
I fish a lot of the tribs as well but generally the better  fishing  is in the main river  river from Greytown to Masterton.  Every Monday I fish one section it gives me a good insight into what's happening.

If your over this way give me a heads up, cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leggynymphz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 6:11pm
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for the tips gulfisher.. will have
to try one of those spots one day . will give you a heads up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leggynymphz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 6:14pm
Bronze
Bronze

do you know of any one that would be inter ested in going for a fish around the waikanae or upper hutt ie. kaitoke areas? im looking for somone to hone my skills on...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 7:11am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by leggynymphz leggynymphz wrote:

do you know of any one that would be inter ested in going for a fish around the waikanae or upper hutt ie. kaitoke areas? im looking for somone to hone my skills on...

It might pay to hone your regulation reading skills before you hone your fishing skills...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leggynymphz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 9:25am
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for the concern macca Thumbs Up Have done since...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 11:58am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out last night to the "usual" as at last the flow had sort of settled from 236 cumecs down to 28... and got a real shock, the entire river bed had changed for about the 1.2 kms, usually after a flood it moves a bit but this time it has reverted back to nearly  its original position of about 4 years ago... So I expect to see the bulldozer there again soon, pushing a channel straight down the middle AGAIN... Any habitat that  was there is either dry or gone, so fishing was sparse at best.

Was very interesting to see a small hatch occurring in an area  that three weeks ago was bone dry...  watched it for 30 min and saw nothing feeding.

Will move downstream to the Cliffs areas and further and report after the weekend. hopping to see some brown beetle flights soon as it has been a great year for grass grub...Confused

Regards

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 3:48pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good report, good to have some eyes out there. 

Im looking forward to popping over for a bash soon. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 12:01am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Gulfisher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 11:40am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Main river still @ 34 cumecs and dark, and from what I've heard fishing is slow....or stopped.. so think I will try the lake tonight.  Catch up later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 11:43am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey has anyone tried Pauatahanui for salt water  fly?  I know there are kings in the channel so they must feed in the shallows under the right tides?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 1:08pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Gulfisher Gulfisher wrote:

Hey has anyone tried Pauatahanui for salt water  fly?  I know there are kings in the channel so they must feed in the shallows under the right tides?

Pauatahanui kings and flounder are my summer project, along with some wairarapa flounder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leggynymphz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 1:35pm
Bronze
Bronze

pauatahanui as in at mana?! wouldnt have guessed that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:27am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Always looking for somewhere different...  Flounder on fly are surprisingly fun, solid takes and quite scrappy on  light trout gear. 

local rivers still high and coloured up, should be good by the weekend though , but I'm getting married so not much chance of a fish....  yes she does fish too.

Wind was so high last night I needed my SW  gear to cast, so didn't so nothing to report this week.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 10:33am
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wairarapa wind and slightly dropping barometer meant my son and I went searching for somewhere, tucked away, so we went to the Cliffs for a look. Conor decided to spin today as there was a little colour still in the water, and as we wandered  up we spotted a nice brown about 2 kgs feeding steadily off the surface, mid stream in 400mm of water.
Conor threw the trusted Zebra toby well above it and swung it right past the nose and was rewarded with an aggressive take. One   I dropped the next right on the river bank feeding  hard below the surface, took a 14 Pheasant tail under a dry.  At the top of the run we headed back down I switched to a small size 10 green UV streamer and right where the pool slowed down and shallowed picked up an old male brown, weighed just over 3lbs should have been a solid 5, anyway he smoked up well.  Conor grabbed another on the way back and I missed another. not bad for one 150m stretch.

Brownie had waterboatman, stick caddis and some small terrestrial brown winged insect I could not easily identify, looked a bit like a vinehopper but not.  

Not seeing any smaller fish,  150-250 mm  maybe they didn't survive the  winter floods similar to the fish in the Hutt river.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 11:47pm
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds cool! Thanks for sharing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 12:56pm
Gulfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry guys, main river hit 130 cumecs yesterday ( normally around 14)  so the continued flooding making for a tight season so far, although when at normal levels there are a few fish around. Hearing about some good fish in the hills, well worth the walk or the chopper ride.

Still catching sea runs at Lake Ferry, looking forward to some SW action after New Year, good burley trail can bring in some surprises, just beware of seals if your new to the coast, they can sleep in the strangest places if your rock hopping. 

Have a great Xmas and New Year  
Page  <12345>