Gamefishing Updates - Mercury Bay

Page  123 22>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamefishing Updates - Mercury Bay
    Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 4:41pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Game-fishing reports, updates, pics here and good luck for the 2014-2015 season.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:56am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone heading out this weekend? Forecast looking perfect!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 10:30am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by AlexFyssher AlexFyssher wrote:

Forecast looking perfect!

Hmm...maby not 'perfect' n e more
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:33am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Someone has a Stripey in the boot out the back of the Hook, coming in for a courtesy weigh...nice work
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:53am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is this the first brought ashore?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:57am
Titanium
Titanium

At Whiti town it is, possibly NZ...not sure of size, guess we'll hear more later...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote testosterone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:16am
testosterone View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

congratulations, what,s your ETA @ Whiti wharf? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:53am
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice well done hope it goes weight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 10:13am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome well done for the boat.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:12pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice to see, congrats to all. Looking forward to some pics.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:52pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

It was a little fella - went 68kg - courtesy weigh. Angler was Timon Craig and was his first fish so congratulations to angler and crew - out there doing it and good on ya! Landed back of hook 300 mtrs on a small lumo.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 1:51pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done that man. That will be yummy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -prozac- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:58pm
-prozac- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks to have been a Yfin caught today too I saw on bonze's Facebook page, we had a quick look out there today but nothing for us
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:03am
Titanium
Titanium

Yep 8.9kg YFT, small fish but I bet damn tasty...surely more out there, can't wait to get back from work and head down...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:34am
Titanium
Titanium

Congrats to Julie on Bounty Hunter, Shortbill Spearfish in the boot...300m nice work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 11:59am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Looks like the marlin, s'bill and YFT have all come from the area around the Hook.... 
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 9:46pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Bryan see you soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 9:53pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Rumour has it 2 marlin were dropped 5m north of the Aldies on the 200m line today, one reportadley pulled 100 odd meters of line then fell off, the second smashed a lumo sprocket and was dropped at the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 9:58pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The marlin weighed at Whangamata today was caught in 130m n/e of aldies on small green/black lure
so in same general area BullWink
gannets were going crazy from all reports
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote BountyHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 8:43am
BountyHunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A great start to the game fishing season in Mercury Bay! 

With the forecast looking really good, we decided to take our two girls out, Celine is keen to get her first marlin, but it needs to be 5knot variable or less!

We headed straight to the hook. There's plenty of bird life and bait around 120-150 m. We put the lines out at around 9am, just four game lines, and a couple of tyrnos 30II with 10kg on for catching skippies.

Just before 10am one of the lines went off, which I took, as Celine was wanting a marlin, not another skippy!. It was obviously more than a skippy once I hit the strike. I thought it was a good yellowfin, which I have caught on lighter tackle, so prepared myself to take my time. The line is a couple of years old, and the double and leader were short. (The line broke at 7.5kg on the line tester at the weigh station.) 

It took around 20 minutes to get to the boat, fortunately Brian grabbed the snapper gaff! and gaffed the fish, as once it was in the line snapped (I think it snagged on something as we were bringing it in!)

Was pretty stoked as it's my first SB spearfish, and on light tackle a lot more fun than when we've caught them on the bigger gear.

After getting it on ice etc, I thought - I wonder if it's near a record - lucky we keep the year book on the boat, and I saw that there is no women's record for SB Spearfish on 10kg.

There's a fair bit of paperwork involved in going for a record, so it pays to be prepared! Also - we suspected the line would be more like 8 kg, but I filled in 10kg on the weigh card - I found out that I would have been best to write 8 kg, and if it did break at over 8, they'd put the line class up. The weigh masters can increase the line weight, but not decrease it. Doesn't really worry me too much, I'm mostly stoked we got the fish in! It tasted pretty good too!

Should be out there today, but a few things to sort out before we head out again!

Thanks to the weigh masters for the extra time it took. Much appreciated! 
Page  123 22>