Gamefishing Updates - Tutukaka

Page  <1 2223242526 27>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 8:50pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

congrates risers, enjoy Beer
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 10:11pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We fished the area hard today too. Baits and lures. Couldn't get a bite even out of the workups. Best weather day for a looooong time though. Very nice out there today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 10:16pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

We fished the area hard today too. Baits and lures. Couldn't get a bite even out of the workups. Best weather day for a looooong time though. Very nice out there today.
Cry
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 4:27pm
marlinmarty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone staying at whale station whangamumu i am out of rum
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 5:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congrats Risers well done thats goldClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 8:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A boat lost something that died and went to the bottom of Limericks spent hours getting it up and a bust off 20ft behind boat, poor buggasCryCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Parua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 10:09pm
Parua View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That was me catchalot. I was going to say a 'hi to catchalot' in case you were listening in. Hooked it 1 broke it at 7. I'm a broken man. Just got in, so shower and lie down methinks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:24am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

that is painstaking i feel for you Parua Brae, do you know what it was?
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:44pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bugger Parua Brae. Went out for a half day off the chicks on Friday. Saw a shark, caught a lot of small (i mean mackerel small...) kingfish on the bungy. No skippys or anything else. Lots of gannets in the air etc
However at the 120 north of the chicks, saw a large dorsal and tail on the surface. Was just wandering aimlessly. Wasn't interested in us and eventually sounded. From recognition charts, we think it was a Broadbill? In 120m and on the surface during the day? Happy to be told what else it might be but it was long, black on top, dorsal as high as the tail. Didn't get to see the front end as it sounded away from us... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 5:49pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Parua Brae Parua Brae wrote:

That was me catchalot. I was going to say a 'hi to catchalot' in case you were listening in. Hooked it 1 broke it at 7. I'm a broken man. Just got in, so shower and lie down methinks.

Yeah mate I heard you a few times yes you sounded like you had been run over by a steamroller, really sorry to hear, but love to hear your story and details when you feel up to itClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Risers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 7:31am
Risers View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Congrats to the the bro Kyle aboard Yonkers for this solo effort on his birthday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 7:40am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great fish KyleClap very impressive, especially solo
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Parua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 8:34am
Parua View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys.

Basically, We dropped two XOS kahawai in at 100m off lims. Floated around enjoying the day when the deep kahawai(other was on balloon a fair way from the boat) popped up and started cruising quickly round the surface. For five mins or so I watched and started to wonder if it was actually sick as it began just the slowest cruising, then dipped down to 10 to maybe 20ft when bang it got hit. There was nothing for five seconds then it was picked up. I gave it a good 30secs or more to let a good swallow. 
On hook up we had the obligatory few hundy mtr run but heading deep. 

I started thinking it was a big shark, then, as I couldn't too much line back between runs(soon had the 37braid over strike), that it was a dorsal hooked hammer. I was thinking that it'd taken the ky that had a really long bridle so also wondered if it was facehooked but a look at the other bait showed we had a bridle with the hook right in it's face so I started to doubt with the amount of time holding the bait that it was anything but deep in the fish.

After about 1hr40, 10runs and 3-400mtrs gathered and lost, it died. We didn't realise for a while(this was the first possible marlin we've ever hooked by ourselves and I've never got one to the boat). 

We tried getting it off the bottom and soon had the drag on sunset. The boats fising the area all started to cruise past for home and the missus started to get a little concerned we'd be out here all night. I radioed what was happening and someone else suggested it was time to try and plane the fish. Phoned another mate who catches a lot and got the good advice.

Let the weight take 150 or so and eventually got the fish moving along the bottom. Then the angle of the line came up a fair way. We though it was working and would come up more and lost a lot of time waiting for more angle. Eventually I realised the most important part was sharpening then lengthening the angle with the fish moving for forwards, so line on the reel but the angle still long. 
So we'd speed up a little then back down 4mtrs of line then forwards 5-10 then back. Eventually the spool filled. Rod was long since in the rod holder. Drag had to be backed off, tightened, then back to sunset and thumbs on spool, to stop the drag slipping. Rod was under sooo much pressure and a few times I was sure it was about to blow. Each time we came off a back down I'd drop the drag back slightly so it could soak up any little pressure loads. Eventually the sun went down and the line was all back but the line behind the boat was super short. Tried seeing the leader with a torch but with the sun just under the horizon we just couldn't see under the water. If it was daylight at that point I would have used my freediving gear to either whack the flying gaff in or even a rope. 
We had to try something so one more back up and I think it touched the corner of the boat....

My wife and I just sat the staring at the water for 5mins. All that mayhem and chop coming over the back of the boat. Her good work running the boat and my physical destruction... for nothing. Not even a look.

For future reference I believe once the fish is that short we should have upped the speed forward very slowly to a much higher speed. But hey, that's life, if only we hadn't lost time earlier making the last bit be in the dark.

Yeah turtle, I wondered about that but thought it unlikely it'd be near the surface at 1am. I had a mate pick one up a few years ago mid afternoon on the surface to it's possible. But we'll never know. Missus was not impressed by the mystery ending

Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:13am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gutted for Ya mate, great effort and bad luck
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 10:01am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bugger PB. Some pretty good lessons learned though for future reference.

Awesome fish for Kyle, especially solo. Congrats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 10:24am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bad luck PB.. awesome job getting it that close. I would be surprised if it was a shark. Never heard of a shark dying so easily. Most likely a marlin with the kahawai stuck in its throat.
Sounds like a fishy spot right there. We came back in thru there on the last day of the small boats after Shady Lady called up saying they were on a meatball with 3 marlin smashing it up. Well worth a look on the way home for anyone out that way
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dun Logging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:00pm
Dun Logging View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I feel for you pb heard you on the radio . We had the some thing happen but managed to get it off the bottom and in the boat s/marlin        138. 6kg on a horse skippy a real    fat fish . Cheers Eric ps sorry I don't know how to turn pics duh
Live for today because tomorrow might not come
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:29pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Noice work Eric. Bloody good sized fish. On bait or lure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dun Logging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 11:16am
Dun Logging View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Big horse skippy dave
Live for today because tomorrow might not come
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:14am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was going to be a solo trip for me but at last minute I asked Sam if he is keen to go and he  broke his rest 4 weekd ago (one and hlaf man crew) but Sam is still keen as to go. Boat arrive the ground 9:30am we setup the rods and lures. Only 10mins start fishing BONZE Punisher got nailed~yeehaa. only been game fishing less than 10mins Sam hooked his first Marlin and he did an awesome job with a broken rest and land the fish after 30mins.
later in the day we landed a nice Mahi as well for Sam.

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Page  <1 2223242526 27>