First Kontiki

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gigstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Kontiki
    Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 8:33pm
gigstar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Evening All. Looking at buying my first kontiki. Want one that comes with everything. Do you guys and girls know of any specials going or coming up. What kontiki should I be looking at as I am new to kontiki fishing. Anyone know anything about the one advertised on t.v. Just looking for one that the wife and I can easily set on our own. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:16am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

depends if you are fishing east or west coast.If west get one with a higher thrust rating.Id go for a cheaper one first if fishing the west,and insure it under house and contents :)
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 7:25am
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seahorse 46lb thrust.! Ive owned 1 for years and years !use it at Kariotahi regulary with good success.
I believe it to be the best kontiki on the market hands down.
Its not gps,but if you can go for it as it does have an advantage.
You get what you pay for,buy cheep get cheep!
Id go 2nd hand if money was a object,few on trademe.
Ive fished beside predators,seadarts powertikis and kentikis on the west coast and lets just say they struggled to get them out straight!
haven't seen a gt kontiki in action tho.seems real bulky to cart around....
limit your catch not catch your limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 7:27am
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you real worried about loosing it,perhaps a kite would be the way to go,i use both.
I use my kite 1st if the wind is good,kontiki 2nd.
limit your catch not catch your limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barra10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 9:37am
Barra10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Seahorse is probably the pick but most I have seen work well provided you set them correctly and keep in contact as they go through the swell. I had one of the original 30lb Barracuda Kontikis, always used on the West Coast and never had an issue.

The first time or few times out make sure you have some space around you and you'll learn how it likes to be set pretty quickly.

I now have a kite. Wish I never sold my kontiki
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flight engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 7:12pm
flight engineer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've just gone through the same exercise and decided on the seahorse 46 GPS package with the shore thing and a winch from Paul's Fishing Kites. Buying the package this way has saved a few hundred $$ vs buying individually. 
Just waiting for the winch to arrive in stock and hopefully I'll be off to Kariotahi and the Port in the near future.

Dean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gigstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 7:43pm
gigstar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks heaps guys. We have a kite but it just never seems to get out far enough. I think the long line is tooooooo heavy.
Cheer,s   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 7:51am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if youre setting a bottom longline,at 150lb or so,yes it will be too heavy and just bow/arc up the beach.Use 65kg line and a dropper,then you can get out as far as any torpedo,if theres enough wind.I usually dont bother unless its 25knts or above
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 9:30pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Extra vote for seahorse 44lb GPS. There's no point in getting a cheaper non self steer for the west coast and any of the remote controlled gimmicks cannot be seen after the second wave in swell of 1m or more (most of the time on west coast), which makes them pretty hard to steer. Seahorse also uses GPS waypoints as well as a compass bearing which helps prevents drift while other brands only use a compass bearing.

THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:55am
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by flight engineer flight engineer wrote:

I've just gone through the same exercise and decided on the seahorse 46 GPS package with the shore thing and a winch from Paul's Fishing Kites. Buying the package this way has saved a few hundred $$ vs buying individually. 
Just waiting for the winch to arrive in stock and hopefully I'll be off to Kariotahi and the Port in the near future.

Dean

Would be keen on your thoughts about Paul's new winch once you have used it. How is overrun of the line controlled as the torpedo gets out through the waves?
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:09am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gigstar, you have a pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flight engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 7:21pm
flight engineer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Got-ya Got-ya wrote:

Originally posted by flight engineer flight engineer wrote:

Dean

Would be keen on your thoughts about Paul's new winch once you have used it. How is overrun of the line controlled as the torpedo gets out through the waves?

no worries, I had the same thoughts, with no drag adjustment, so will post results once I get the setup and have a chance to get it deployed (hopefully in the next couple of weeks).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish and chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 5:24pm
fish and chips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

this is for sale $650ono ph 0221292264 Jeff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote durleyzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 7:13pm
durleyzz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Before anyone one could buy a torpedo I had made my own & now on my third home made.  actually i think i was first to have 46lb one. Even had 30 lb one radio controlled motor at back.  Stilll  should be at the back if the GPS was reliable which it seems to not be .     On the west coast ya must have at least the 46lb one & try to get the  gps one , do your own reel even hand wind electric fence geared one especially if ya got someone to help.
Main line nothing less than 400lb  1.5 at least KM & only put it out where ya know its ok.   !00m before stoppers & double what you need.   Keep tabs on it as side current will dragg a 1 k sinker right over where youre told there is reef. Ive alwqys had 2 torpedo the second has been for with grapple bringing other in or someone else s.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote durleyzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 7:21pm
durleyzz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm an old y & once I patented & gave up as couldnt sell any a system that could add onto any real that would guarantee the reel wouldn't        over  run.  Simple too , I even used to tell a mate not to touch the reel as the system was more reliable than a person trying to control it. Many have made there own after seeing it .   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote qsilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:25pm
qsilver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive recently bought a second hand pauls winch. Whilst i have only used it a couple of times i do like what i see. 

My previous winch is from this guy on trade me who makes them in nz ( has gold coloured reel), it has worked well for me and does the job well, the chineese guy who makes them is very helpful and a great person for customer service. it can come in a 200w motor which really brings the line in , variable speed

The seahorse winch is like any other winch, theres no faults it does the job, except small internal diameter

The winch from pauls kites, i like because its internal diameter is much larger than the trademe one and much larger still than the seahorse one. there fore the line will come in quicker. i also do beleive its more energy efficient 

pauls winch can come with a strap that slows the spool down when kontiki going out, just have to pay more

the only other thing i wish could be changed is for the spool to be lighter, its a heavy unit. makes things harder when your using a beach kart

what i miss in the pauls winch is there is no variable speed, i hate stop starting the line in the surf (loose fish)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote durleyzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:19am
durleyzz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My winch is home made as good or better than bought ones as I've seen
but rough looking . Drum of winch  was cut with skill saw & used cheap 24 V motor that came in too fast & too slow on 12v so eventfully bought off sea horse a motor.(I tell blokes buy off him his best torpedo so far )
I wouldnt have a viable switch as had to replace wiring & switch  many time as so much corrosion. For clutch to engage is HD steel pin with velcrow & stem it goes into is the fluff of it works so good . I make a thing called a winch schroud that i tried to sell as said      before & i'd never put it out without it as it stops over-run totally but just cant give away the secret on how it is. Some winches to help stop over-run use a braid for the first 100m or so to help stop this . I remember years ago many times with the whole winch spool   in my arms trying to get the nylon off the shaft while my craft out at sea was on its way back in.
The first torpedo I seen was a mouri guy E coast   who had his second one from US it was a 2 prop thing running parallel to the small waves so I coppied that You should have seen my contraptions best was 2 victor lawn mower starter motors ---when older ya burble more.
Now got a flash boat. But lithiumn only torpedo so its lighter & GPS to complicated for me.