Lethals Chowder

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lethals Chowder
    Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 3:55pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Lethal,  Can you post your chowder recipe again.  Search engine can't seem to find it for me.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 4:25pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi Apex Predator,
its not mine sorry, it is a Guy called "Mars" who i haven't seen or heard of for quite a while,
believe he was the owner of a cafe or a chef in Wellington, he put this recipe up for us to all enjoy,
luckily i kept a copy on my Computer because i couldn't find it in Search either...

Edit: have found it, http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/primo-seafood-chowder_topic1265.html?KW=

Primo Fish Chowder

60g butter

2 spring onions (chopped)

1/3 cup flour

Pinch of cayenne pepper

Salt & pepper

3 cups of fish stock

2 x medium spuds (cubed)

2/3 cup of sour cream

Chopped parsley

12 mussells (chopped)

160g shrimps (peeled)

130g cubed tarakihi fillets

*naturally other fish ingredients can be substituted or added. These are just the ones I used last time. I quite like the idea of crayfish and scallops but no-one has been kind enough to give me any…..

Melt butter in a pan.

Add the spring onions and fry until softened.

Stir in the flour, cayenne and salt & pepper to taste and cook for 1 minute.

Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil.

Add the seafood ingredients, the potatoes & simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft but still hold their shape.

Stir in the sour cream.

Sprinkle with parsley to serve.

I could live on this…..

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 4:30pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

my Wife had this attached to the bottom of that recipe, if your into seafood sauce like they have in restaurants with shrimps,
we tend to use it with chopped up Crayfish, certainly go's down well if your into sweet & sour sort of taste...

Seafood Sauce

1 Cup of Mayonnaise

1 tsp Worchester Sauce

2 tblsp Tomato Sauce

Juice of ½ Lemon

Combine all ingredients and chill.

Serves 4 people

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 7:45pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A forum member on here gave me this sometime ago - its not bad. Not what I do but then if I was to tell you how I make mine I would have to kill you! LOL

1 x 500grm of butter

1 500ml of cream

10 or so fat mussels (well chopped)

10 prawns

12 scallops

2 squid tubes cut into this strips

2 good fillets of a firm fleshed fish (I use trev or snap or kahwai)

1 leek

2 carrots

2 cloves or garlic

1 cup of parsley

1 onion

Fish stock (I simmer (don’t boil, it will make the chowder bitter) a few frames and then sieve the **** out).

Start by melting butter and make a rue with some flour until it’s thick but not clumpy.

Add your fish stock while stirring on a low heat (essential)

Add all your veg and continue to simmer for an hour or so, while stirring (can’t emphasize this enough, stirring continuously)

When your veg is cooked, add all your seafood and continue to simmer for around 10mins.

Thicken if needed with a little cornflour.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

This is awesome with garlic bread croutons or a French stick

I should add there are 3 types of chowder, Manhattan, New England and Rhode Island. Each is different.
New England style is thick and creamy as we know the original from, Manhattan stuffed it up by adding Tomato (dam Italian) and has an acidic tang to it, Rhode Island is the least common but perhaps the purist as its a thinner soup in which the clam broth contributes most of the flavour, the clams add the texture.

Just in case you didn't know Chowder evolved as a way of making two fishing boat staples - salt pork and hard tack more palatable by adding fresh fish and water, since fresh water was precious on-board the original dish was more like a stew than a soup.
The first publish recipe was in the Boston Evening Post in 1751!

Sorry guys my only skill is being fountain of useless information.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 7:49pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

saved
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:19pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks everyone. Lethal reckons he could live on this. I tried that last year but went back to one brew a week rather than double the exercise routine. I leave out the shrimp, use my own smoked fish and a dozen mussels.

might get really brave and try making my own stock now Moggy, probably on a good day when I can cook outside rather than upset swmbo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:39pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Apex Predator Apex Predator wrote:

Thanks everyone. Lethal reckons he could live on this. I tried that last year but went back to one brew a week rather than double the exercise routine. I leave out the shrimp, use my own smoked fish and a dozen mussels.

might get really brave and try making my own stock now Moggy, probably on a good day when I can cook outside rather than upset swmbo

Yes making stock - hell I hate the smell, but by good does it make the difference - also if I can - shrimps - they are often cheap at the supermarkets - I got some last week at less than $12 kilo raw.
Now its a bit of work but these day having respect for my food I try to use everything so what I did is shell and behead and devein - then after than take the heads an shells add some butter as it takes oils to bring out the beta carotene (which is bloody good for you) and fry in a deep pot - after making sure they went pink and were well cook I added  water carrots and onions and slow cooked for 2 hours then sieve - personally I could not stand the smell but by god once done and sieved adding back to chowders or Paella it was god gift.

Worth a try.

Its worth the effort

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramprage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 2:41pm
ramprage View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best ingredient is seafood Marinara you get at the supermarket. Quite often on special on a Monday morning and is usually 1/2 price, get 400g-500g makes great chowder
When the going gets tough...the tough
keep going
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just did lethals chowder, yum yum yum yum. A few mods, put fresh dill in the stock I made. And used smoked marlin as the fish, yum yum yum.
Thanks Eric.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 9:56am
Gold
Gold

The original recipe also included a tin of creamed corn.  I use just smoked fish and mussels - don't eat seafood marinara after someone told me that the processed fish in it is Baracoutta.  Don't know if this is true but it's now the first thing that comes to mind when I see crab sticks or seafood maranara in the supermarket.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 11:18pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've also made it with and with out the creamed corn and prefer it with out. Scollops, squid tube, shrimps and smoked fish is my fav. Not a fan of mussells. Kernel corn is good in it but creamed corn is a bit much I reckon. So good!
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 2:20am
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just found this thread. Great to see that old recipe is still popular and doing the rounds. A good base to work from and personal preference provides the licence to mix it up. I think I posted that over 10 years ago now.

Pleased to advise you Lethal I am alive and well, although I did disappear off the radar for a while when I was sulking over losing my boat.

I can't claim to being a chef of any sort either (at work or at home!)

Will be brewing this concoction up in the next few weeks though as I have a cray in the freezer and hopefully some scallops to add when the season starts. OK, now I'm starting to drool...Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 10:02am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

welcome back mate, Thumbs Up

yep still doing the Chowder Mars, ive been using fish head meat for the fish part,
slightly sweeter meat if you only simmer the heads before picking the meat off,

i will never forget the first time i tried this, just tastes absolutely gorgeous,
i cook such a huge pot of the stuff now and eat it for 2 to 3days on end....

thanks again for that recipe...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 1:31pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No problems Lethal.

Agree with you about the heads. I also make my own stock from the heads, as this seems to improve the overall experience. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 5:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This I must have a go at making cos I luv chowders.Pig 

...Doesn't look too hard either...not like a Moggystar's banquet cooked over daysTongue
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 5:45pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Holy moly..just constructed a heaving cauldron of this chowder.
it really is a good as you guys say, left the creamed corn in and also had a bit of bacon so bunged that in.Heaven in a bowl.
shrimp, mussel and snapper and surimi cause the kids like it..worth the effort doing the fish stock too.
thanks for the recipe
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 3:52pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That time of year again!
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 4:49pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oh wow I will be making this.
Used to make this 30 plus years ago when I was flatting and flat mates used to love it. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks guys  Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 10:17pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Turned this into stock today... no not the baby 😒

And turned that into over 6l of creamy goodness....

😊😊😊

Should keep me going for a couple of days😊
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:23pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks mean Daz, I had better start getting my ingredients together for a brew
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Page  12>