Free visibility info from CawthronEye

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sciguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free visibility info from CawthronEye
    Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:57am
sciguy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The CawthronEye (http://www.cawthron.org.nz/apps/cawthroneye) is a free tool provided by the Cawthron Institute in Nelson that displays full-colour daily satellite images and sea temperature information from NASA. This means you can check out the visibility of your favorite dive spots without leaving home. The images are for all of New Zealand and should be displayed approximately 3-4 hours after an image is taken, this means that today's image should be available at about 2pm daily.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 10:40am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a look jsut now and it comes up as a mostly black screen with a few major city names on it - I cannot get it to display anything else (it does look like I can zoom in and out on the black screen as the city names move :) )

Sounds like a useful tool but.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sciguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 1:52pm
sciguy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes a bit of data to download so it may be a bit slow to update, especially if you are using a 3G mobile phone to view it.  My advice would be patient with it. Processing is undertaken at NASA which is sometimes delayed so if you have any issues, it may pay to check the previous day.

Note that it is a BETA version at the moment and doesn't play nicely with internet explorer. I've tested on firefox, chrome, safari and mobile browsers and it seems to work well. Sometimes a bit slow on mobile devices though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 2:31pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah just gave it a crack on the work connection and it looks awesome, dem SST hmmmmm. Pity its only down the 30km resolution, still good enough quailty to get an idea of what's going on.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bokken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:11pm
bokken View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

awesome. I was gutted when they cut the satellite pics from the tascam page, now its back and even better Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 8:27pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bokken bokken wrote:

awesome. I was gutted when they cut the satellite pics from the tascam page, now its back and even better Thumbs Up

Told you I'd get it back....

Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sciguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:55am
sciguy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You can now also download a CawthronEye App to your Android phone from the following link:
http://www.cawthron.org.nz/apps/cawthroneye.apk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:47pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shazbot!

I forgot about this. Just bookmarked it
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:59am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How to you get it to display SST?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:01am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

DW got it