D'Urville Island this weekend

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baffled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D'Urville Island this weekend
    Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:24am
baffled View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If the weather holds I will be going to Durville this weekend. Anyone got any advice on where to go? Especially if weather turns bad, where we can get some sheltered diving.

Forecast looks ok for Saturday but its still quite far off to be accurate:
Outlook following 3 days: Southwest 20 knots but 30 knots in north with rough sea, easing Thursday southwest 20 knots in north and variable 10 knots elsewhere and Saturday to variable 10 knots everywhere.

After 20kg kingies and 10kg snapper so feel free to share your spots! :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:49pm
SpearoMike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

might be lucky to get kings now id think? Port Underwood/Ward looks mint, head over there and you'd get a much greater feed! Pm Marco Moki and i am sure he can steer you in the right direction
here fishy fishy.......... ><(((((º> ............><(((((º>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:33pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Only advice for Durville is: if the weather is coming from the west launch at French pass and go up the east side and if its coming from the east launch at Okiwi and go up the west side. Just keep travelling up the island untill you find clear water, usually Bottle point on the west and the Rangitotos on the east.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:15pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we will be up there ,if leaving from okiwi go through pass if going up top theres a ton of debris from bottle point upwards so if like me an traveling in dark much safer up the inside
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:41pm
mustang View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just remember the new Blue Cod regulations that apply to the east side of D'Urville from French Pass to Stephens Passage/Island.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:44pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by baffled baffled wrote:

If the weather holds I will be going to Durville this weekend. Anyone got any advice on where to go? Especially if weather turns bad, where we can get some sheltered diving.

Forecast looks ok for Saturday but its still quite far off to be accurate:
Outlook following 3 days: Southwest 20 knots but 30 knots in north with rough sea, easing Thursday southwest 20 knots in north and variable 10 knots elsewhere and Saturday to variable 10 knots everywhere.

After 20kg kingies and 10kg snapper so feel free to share your spots! :)

forgot to say cant share the spots dude you know how it goes LOL but these are about mate

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:59pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can't see the spear hole?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:00pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SperoMike SperoMike wrote:

might be lucky to get kings now id think? Port Underwood/Ward looks mint, head over there and you'd get a much greater feed! Pm Marco Moki and i am sure he can steer you in the right direction

The wairau has been flood for nearly two weekss... I would say the Port looks anything but great. Might be wrong. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:15pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Diver Dan Diver Dan wrote:

I can't see the spear hole?

rod dude made for a good release ,i know its a spero thread but just pointing out to the thread starter if you put the effort in these are around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:19pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, nice fish Blackboat - very healthy fish. They are difficult to spear down that area of the country. What did it weigh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:25pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

10.75kgs caught in 60mtrs , was in mint condition for a fish that been around a fair while 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baffled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:28pm
baffled View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for all the advice, will be sure to check all the regulations and print them off before we go.

We are launching the launch from mana, wellington. Taking a small tender down with us and will be down there about Friday night til Monday depending on weather. I think we are going to moor up somewhere on the northern half of the island and will decide where to go when we see how the weather is Saturday morning.

Very nice fish there blackboat! Just for purposes of scale, you dont happen to have any other pics of the fish with land in the background? Purely for scale and scientific purposes you know... :)

We will be freediving/spearing and fishing so hoping for a bit of everything. I am taking down the go pro for its first proper test so will hopefully have some footage/pics to show next week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote oldfela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:36pm
oldfela View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

have a look at whartia on the inside north end ,a good achorage,there are a cupple of moorings there if know one is on them , and on old man head just north of there for a kingy dive the slack untill it gets to strong 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:38pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nah no back ground pics mate i can tell you it was caught about 7ks out wide well away from shore

what boat you in ill keep an eye out if i see you up there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baffled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:15pm
baffled View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers oldfella, we will check it out if we end up over there, the spots we have in mind so far are Stephens Island, Bottle Point, Nile Head and Rangitoto Island.

Blackboat, we will be in a 13.5m Don Senior... one that looks suspiciously exactly like this...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Omebic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:27pm
Omebic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

LOL - you will have every spearo wanting to go on a decent trip hitting you up now baffled.

I am envious of you going to DVille - rumour has it that is the retiring ground for giant crayfish as well as big kingies.

Safe boating.

M

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:11am
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

id be taking a rifle too,just incase its undiveable,plenty of deer on durville.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baffled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:53am
baffled View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep about 4 of the 8 guys are taking rifles and maybe some guns too ;) Got all of the hunting permits sorted already.

We will definately be doing some cray hunting omebic, will hopefully have some pics to satisfy your crayfetish upon my return! I have never been down there before or actually done any proper spearfishing in the south island so looking foward to it. Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 8:41pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a short dive on the west side of stephens island feb this year. Water was nice and clear in 20knt SE for that dive.

A lot of big blue cod everywhere. Some big rays but saw no kings and (strangely) no crays despite decent country. Were plenty of other launches there with bubble blowers so may get reasonable pressure there?

http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recreational/Most+Popular+Species/Blue+Cod/Default.htm

I think you will enjoy the adventure!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 8:50pm
The Jackal View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There doesn't seem to be that many crays up there Dekay, not that I look that hard for them. There are a few local guys who are able to produce the goods. 
Page  12>