durban ,s 70hp runs with radiator\conversion

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 10:38am
DezzyTooToo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what if you re-mould the leg with cooling fins on it so the cooling system runs through them instead of having a radiator ? With the fins running in the water and just above .

Sort of like how an old air cooled two stoke motor works , but this time with the ocean cooling down the fins . You could keep the original engine cowling .
For dry runs at home you can have a hose attachment .

If you get my drift !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 11:54am
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i get your drift , not a bad idea could possibly work as heat spreads from hot area to cold areas , with the price of fuel now days & the salt eating our motors away we have to start thinking of improvements , i have already started a few months ago working on a new outboard fuel , so far iam getting good results from my experiments , as in IRELAND they only pay 10 cents a liter . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 12:27am
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

well so far New Zealand is the only country in the world with  the 1st 70hp 1974 johnson radiator cooled outboard motor nearly finished just some pianting & finishing off work to do , Smilesuggest some names so when i have the decals made for the motor cover we will stick them on , cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 7:17am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Johnsonator
"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 8:54am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

from my experience, that area where you have the radiator mounted wears an awful lot of water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 8:59am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the reasons boat motors are water to water cooled is because there is ****loads of cooling water available when boating.
Water heat exchangers (as built into millions of outboards) will carry heat away at approximately 100 times the rate that a water to air radiator such as your setup.
So we take a small, efiicient, effective water to water heat exchanger, and replace it with a very large (and very noisy) appendage.
Looks like a solution looking for a problem that does not actually exist.

Now, keeping a 40 year old outboard started and running under normal operating conditions is impresssive!
Please make sure you have the full 'witty' Plug-In installed on your Internet Browser, or the default 'half-witty' output may affect your profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 9:24am
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looks awesome Durban - might I suggest that you would want the air exit hole at the back of the outboard to be larger then the entry hole, the air will expand as it heats up and if you can get it sucking out the back you might get a bit of a scavenging effect going - good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 12:16pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Norseman Norseman wrote:

Johnsonator
i like this name thanks Norseman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 12:31pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Moki Marko Moki Marko wrote:

looks awesome Durban - might I suggest that you would want the air exit hole at the back of the outboard to be larger then the entry hole, the air will expand as it heats up and if you can get it sucking out the back you might get a bit of a scavenging effect going - good luck
uploaded is the motor cover its upside down though provision has been made for the air flow note the back end
the motor tray has also been modified for air to escape between the carb air box & radiator it goes out underneath
the leg couling has also been modified for air exit photo uploaded
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 12:47pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Tipper Tipper wrote:

the reasons boat motors are water to water cooled is because there is ****loads of cooling water available when boating.
Water to water heat exchangers (as built into millions of outboards) will carry heat away at approximately 100 times the rate that a water to air radiator such as your setup.
So we take a small, efiicient, effective water to water heat exchanger, and replace it with a very large (and very noisy) appendage.
Looks like a solution looking for a problem that does not actually exist.

Now, keeping a 40 year old outboard started and running under normal operating conditions is impresssive!
the whole idea of my project is to show the world it can be done as no one has tried this before , i may be wrong on this but there is no outboard motor or picture of one on the net that i could find you may find some of my work on i boats .com
i do know of some one that has biult a plane useing a v4 motor radiator cooled & a sand buggy useing a v4 radiator cooled , but no one with a outboard , in 1943 there was a paitent out . but whether that still exists or if they actually went ahead to put what is on paper to the test i dont know ,
any way its been my hobbie fixing outboards & boats all my life , i enjoy what i do when theres no fish this is how i spend my spare time , Smile cheers & thanks for viewing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 5:21pm
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Durban, I noticed the old Sea-Horse emblem on the side of the cowling

Another suggestion for new engine name

The Rad Sea-Horse

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 7:41pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yes indeed that is the old seahorse decal on the cowling uploadeed is a few photos how that got to be there i used 2 cowling covers to make 1 & kept the original seahorse profile throught my design , i grew up with seahorse motors it was past on to me from my dad iam a great johnson fan & know these motors very well inside out the best ones every made in my opinion was from the early 70ties in the v4 ,s the 85 hp 1976 they are indeed indistructable motors if cared for .

but now the all new JOHNSRAD IS BORN HERE IN New zealand a new version of outboard motor introudeced to the world , i have confidance in my design & work , the water system is redesigned useing different materials & parts all found in new zealand ,

one of my motors is a 1970 evinrude witch is the only 1 in the world & the first & only ever to be biult with my cdi cinversion & several other conversions on to it , to me this is a collectors piece of art work wich will not be used in the sea or any boat its my pride & joy the photo explains it all more about this motor can be found here you how ever have to register to view photos
rebiulding old outboards is my passion & the love of doing something i enjoy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 8:06pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

we will name this motor NEW ZEALANDS ........JOHNSONATOR OUTBOARD MOTORS ,
 Thank you NORSEMAN for the name suggested
Some where in beteewn when it comes to final dessision THE RAD SEA -HORSE CAN BE FITTED . will speak to grafic designers at a later stage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 11:33pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

great - what about the intakes for the carbs? - are you managing to get cool air in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 2:39am
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yes most definately that was a very good ? the air box fits neatly in front of the carb intake in 1 of the photos you will see it no problems what so ever so far there are 2 plans for this conversion design at the moment iam runing with plan A should i pick up any problems i incorporate plan B
Page  <12