Degreasing carbon drags?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Degreasing carbon drags?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 8:19am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, what's best option for degreasing drags?
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:35am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use brake clean.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:08pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Prepsol or acetone.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:17pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

+1 for acetone.

Never tried prepsol so can't comment.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thank you guys that's useful info.
Cheers Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:08pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

+1 for acetone.

Why acetone Kev I thought it was a really harsh solvent versus say methylated spirits, IPA, etc... genuine question mate?

Also, if using a greased drag washer like say carbontex, why would you want to degrease it? I can understand a light wash but to degrease??
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:38pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Isopropanol Alcohol gets my vote. The idea is to leave no residue. Unlike petrol,meths etc 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 5:22am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

+1 for acetone.

Why acetone Kev I thought it was a really harsh solvent versus say methylated spirits, IPA, etc... genuine question mate?

Also, if using a greased drag washer like say carbontex, why would you want to degrease it? I can understand a light wash but to degrease??

Hey Al, so reason for wanting to degrease drags is to prepare for new grease application.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep IPA best bet... or next step is car painters degreaser, which is a mix of several of the above mentioned solvents designed to  lift and remove waxes , greases of all types, right down to a finger print.
 Pick up a bottle at mitre 10 or supercheap.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Al,

As Pete mentions, just taking off the grease for a new application. Sometimes there is gunk in the grease and you just want to clean it off.

I used to use petrol, but the fumes did my head in.

Missus has acetone in the house for the nails and I've used it to good effect. Cleans everything and no oily residue.

I see IPA touted above - I'm guessing that would also be a good alternative. Haven't tried that, but might consider it for the fly reels at some stage. Bit friendlier than the acetone. Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:33am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

soak them in white spirits Pete..........Thats what Jeff murray does.......ive been doing that for years as well.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I tried to source some  white spirits a littlw while back... for out old presure camping lamp.. no its not a kero one...
Couldnt find any anywhere...
Someone suggested a artists supply shop....never followed that up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NWcoastLBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:09pm
NWcoastLBG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There's a few ways to skin that cat. Don't worry about using too aggressive a solvent as cross woven carbon fibre is chemically inert. The best solvent to use is Toluene, followed by Xylene and Hexane but they are quite pricey.

I carefully wipe (to avoid cracking and damaging the washer) any surplus drag greases from each washer and place them in a vile with Shellite which is our equivelant to 'white gas' (different to white spirits) or 'naphtha' as its called in the states. I soak the washers for about 10mins then place the vile in the ultrasonic cleaner for period of time. Remove the washers from the vile and carefully dry them down, wear nitrile gloves if you're worried about carcenagins absorbing through you're skin and into you're blood stream. Then I place the washers in another vile of Toluene and place back into the US cleaner for a short amount of time, this will take away any residue left behind from the first flush. Toluene flashes off very quickly and leaves absolutely no residue as it is a highly refined solvent. Washers will be ready to relube in minutes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:41am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I tried to source some  white spirits a littlw while back... for out old presure camping lamp.. no its not a kero one...
Couldnt find any anywhere...
Someone suggested a artists supply shop....never followed that up.
Bunnings should have it.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:36am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Steps....Bunnings stock white spirits, i just got some myself from there
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks picked up some yesterday bunnings..been a while since checked them out...
 Even so, once opened the bottle, Im not completely sure if it is the same as the white spirits of old.. feels a little greassy and different smell (???)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NWcoastLBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:31pm
NWcoastLBG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The stuff you want from Bunnings is Shellite, $13.95 per Litre
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 4:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up