daiwa SL30shb

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: daiwa SL30shb
    Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:09pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would this be an ok livebait reel?, Got a couple now love them realise there a little low on capacity but was thinking about a 15kg mono reel or 20kg braid?

Also does anyone use the daiwa sl20sh of the rocks, was thinking of getting one for an inner gulf lbg 8kg set?
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:27pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

PJ Son NJay has hammered his 2 SL30s kingfish fishing for several years, mainly livebaiting with 10kg mono, off the rocks, kayak, and dinghy.

He still loves 'em, and they're holding up well under his minimal maintenance regime.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GazaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:43pm
GazaNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Perfect timing was about to post up about these SL30SHB myself! Looking at buying one to use for surf casting, lbg, yak\boat fishing..
Seem to generally be good reels from what I've read, with a 7KG drag though looking into upgrading drag to carbontex to hopefully gain some more.
Also looking at 30lb Berkley fireline as much as it will fit and top with approx 3m of some type of mono

If KOF doesn't mind wouldn't mind any input others can give regarding this..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:07pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use the Daiwa SL30shb myself got 2 of them hence the question wouldn't mind running 20kg braid on it as a landbased game reel for inner gulf kingys.

The other is used for 10kg mono its superb in every aspect actually have nothing at all bad to say about it. really its that good.

Keen to try the smaller 20 model just wonder how many people use it and if it viable. Don't want to use to light and have fish swimming with traces hanging from the mouth.Uncool

http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 11:15pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive got one of those little sl20's and a few of my mates do too. Also got a sl50 that i generally use for straylining big baits, though the sl20 would be much more fun.

They are awesome, loaded mine with 6kg mono and its super smooth, brilliant to cast with. They are solid too and have a hefty drag for the size of the reel.

here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 11:14am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so you want a 30 now not a 20? did you get my pm
?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 11:24am
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a 20 and a 30 great reels, I run 10 kg on the 30 not a problem great off the rocks for stray line
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 4:03pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a 20 spooled with 6kg and a 50 with 15kg. Love them both.

20kg braid seems like a huge overkill for inner gulf kings though bro
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 5:11pm
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

go the 20 and put 15kg braid on it or 6k mono. fun times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote z_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 4:09pm
z_si View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For kingfish you would probably be better off with the Saltist 30 or if you wanted to spend the extra money a Saltiga 30. You can get the Saltists a bit cheaper off ebay and carbontex drag upgrades are avaliable from a few different places. The sealines aren't really made for braid or heavy fishing.

Alternativly look at the shimano torium 20 which is about the same size.