CANTERBURY KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Page  <1 5960616263 271>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Check Milli out up in Kaikoura early this month.

100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:46pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats only about half of them.

Have you seen what I pulled out of the Sounds Friday evening?   

They seem to be quite plentiful this time of year.  Seasons best, went 6.3kg from memory. From Shore not from Yak. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fear no fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 8:41pm
fear no fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Right fellas,

With a photo like that who wants some of the action???

Still waiting to hear who is coming on the Okiwi Bay trip. At this stage there are 3 of us. 

Also, any last minute takers for the Shag Point trip this weekend? Let me know asap. Currently 5 yaks, maybe 6.

Cheers
Mark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:09pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey doug, what do you meen? now WE know where to find them!!!LOL
still open on okiwi, mite make a last minute decision on it, depending on weather and other (piss up/parties) commitments!,when is it?dates?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:10pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

luvly load of butterfish milli, always knew spearing was for cheatsLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote grimace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:27pm
grimace View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Okiwi's down for Show Weekend.
Cobra Fish and Dive - Sjørøver II
ZMU7181
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 3:51pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cool, when is that then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fear no fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 4:17pm
Silver
Silver

that would be Friday 12th - Sunday 14th November..........Show Day is a public holiday here in NZ, giving you a long weekend. Thumbs Up Its a bit like a Bank Holiday in the pommie land Big smile........just in case you needed any further clarification Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fear no fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 4:19pm
Silver
Silver

Hey guys

We have a good crew of 7 yakkers heading down to Shag Point for the long weekend. Forecast looks fantastic and tides are favourable. Thumbs Up

I am sure there will be plenty of tales to tell on our return.  Cool

Cheers
Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:07am
Goobie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The trip to Shag Point was good - decent amounts of blue cod and trumpeter around and the conditions were good most of the time. I think all or most of the guys had a decent amount of fish to take home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fear no fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:35am
Silver
Silver

Shag Point

Great weekend away. Below are a couple of photos i took.

My catch on Sunday:
6 Trumpeter
16 Blue Cod
1 Red Cod
1 Rock Cod

Getting ready to hit the water on Sunday morning.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:08am
Goobie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Here's the study on blue cod that I mentioned - http://fs.fish.govt.nz/Doc/17360/2003%20FARs/03_16_FAR.pdf.ashx
I had a look at the map in this document and the offshore rocky areas are too far to get to in a kayak (Pompeys rocks and Le Bons rocks).
It's from 2002 but some of the basic size trends probably still apply although the fish sizes might be slightly smaller now.

Is there an easy way to get the bones out of blue cod fillets? The only ways I can see are to make 4 fillets from one fish, or use pliers to remove the bones from the middle of each half.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:56am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

goobie hard too explain in words but ere goes....slice down the flanks on both sides as normal leave fillet and skin attached to the frame at the tail end , then lay the skin side flat on table and start slinnind up from the tail only stop when you have skinned an inch or 2, pin the tail dovn hard with your left hand and hold the skinned end of the fillet firmly with your right, pull the fillet off the skin, the bones down the middle will (9 times out of 10) remain attached to the skin! be warned this doesnt work with most other fish! allso try frying up the livers, they taste great!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote orca7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 4:59pm
orca7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah bit of an ask to paddle  40plus k`s to lebons, great fishing there though pom pillar is no prob. yes shag point was a great trip, plenty o fish and a bit of fun on last day, with strong winds and a good stability testShocked my yak can ...if they big enough go over one wave and under the nextLOL.
i also discovered for the 2nd time i need a bigger bin, so the redesign is on and i will have an awesome solid bin to fit a 390 going soon.
my catch for the day an half was
24 blue cod(plenty biffed back on size)
7 trumpeter
3 rock cod
1 barry
2 red cod biffed back

roll on okiwi im inClap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fear no fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:32pm
Silver
Silver

OKIWI BAY

Time to sort out your **** for Okiwi Bay. We have accommodation booked for 6 people (cheers Orca).

This is on a strictly first come, first served basis. There is possibly a back up plan if we need more accommodation but it will be more expensive....depending on numbers...... otherwise you may need to arrange something yourselves.

So far confirmed are:
Fear No Fish
Orca x 2
Grimace
Johan (to confirm)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:44pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would try and drive over join you guys for a day (or evening fish) while you guys are at Okiwi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote orca7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 8:38am
orca7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

milli it would be great to meet up, and i for one will be in for a nite fishClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote orca7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 8:42am
orca7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

And all you boys a wee note about marks pic of catch....the smallest there would be 33,34 cm so good fishClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote merman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 6:50pm
merman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

somebody else might be interested as well, i think i will get a few fishing yaks taken out for me to test ride, paddlerzone Kayak Demo Day - Oct 31st
Pegasus Town 10:00-2:00

Come and try out a range of kayaks for free on the flat waters of the lakes in Pegasus town. If there is a particular kayak you'd like to try - please contact us so we are sure to bring it for you.

Directions:

Take Hwy 1 North just past Woodend where you'll see signs for Pegasus Town.

Turn into Pegasus - this is Pegasus Bvd. Keep going straight, through four roundabouts until you have just passed Flat White Cafe (at the fourth roundabout), then

Turn Left on Matamata Qy and follow until you come to the lake (two blocks). This is "Beach One". Bring togs and a towel. Enjoy!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:18pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good stuff boys, wish i'd bin able to make down south too , nice haul though!
still thinking on okiwi... watch this space!
 i thaught we were going up to clearwater this weekend, but i aint so sure now,
Page  <1 5960616263 271>