braid to nylon knots

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: braid to nylon knots
    Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 6:04pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey all,
I have recently purchased a soft plastic set with 10lb braid, i have searched the forums for a knot to join the braid to a top shot of nylon/other trace materials and can't seem to find one (i am sure this has been covered).
So if anyone has one that is easy or can be learnt easily, it would be much appreciated.
I am aware braid cuts through nylon easily when you have fish on so not sure if it has the same principal when tying them together? Or is it better to have the braid tied directly to the soft plastic?

Cheers
Brendon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 8:18pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago.(put up a post in the sp thread)

I was told to have a 2m trace of around 20lb fluorocarbon and use double uniknots to join the 2 together.
Hope this helps.
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 8:58pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

yeah as dohboy said tie back to back uni knots to lock against each other. Nice easy knot and no swivels required. However would recommend practicing this knot (like any new knot) a few times as I lost a couple of good fish to ****e uni to uni knots when i first started tying them.

and flurocarbon IMO is the best bet for your trace line.

I go a bit longer than 2m trace tho as mainly fish off the rocks. Trace is long enough for a few wraps around the reel and then can handle the traceline to get the fish in. Dont really wanna be handling the braid too much as like you say it cuts pretty easy
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 9:47pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

deacs this is a really good knot site
http://www.animatedknots.com/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 9:49pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i usually use the albright knot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 11:59pm
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yup double uni but I double my braid so it's a similar diameter to fluro and gives extra strength as well
FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 7:06am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by -MADFIS HO- -MADFIS HO- wrote:

Yup double uni but I double my braid so it's a similar diameter to fluro and gives extra strength as well

dam i always forget to mention that - tie a short double in the braid. Gives you two lines to tie that are a bit closer in daimeter to each other.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 8:58am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys i have been using the double uni knot to good effect with nylon to nylon. Will have to go and purchase some flurocarbon today!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote qwerty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 9:07am
qwerty View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hay Guys watch the aus in the berckly dvd & tie the five turn sergon knot it,s not bad cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Benk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 9:34am
Benk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there,
Learn a bimini, make them nice and short, about 1 m, that way you can wrap them back down themselves by yourself. Sounds a bit crazy but you can do it in a rough sea under 2 minutes with a bit of practice.

As JK says, doubles are the way, and bimini's and plaits are the best, biminis are a bit easier to tie though,

Then a 5 turn surgeon, or a uni to uni, or anything from the double line to the leader.

Its near impossible to break a proper bimini with a same line class rated rod on the market today, except some of the heavy jigging rods and game rods.

I use this for 80lb braid to 80lb nylon to 1kg nylon.

With braid I do 70 turns, 80lb nylon about 30, 50lb nylon about 50 turns.

Take the plunge and enjoy absolute faith in your knots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 12:51pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is the knot I like to use for joining braid and mono, damn good!! thanks to Lethal...   and the two don't have to be a similar breaking strain either, like 14lb braid tied to say 50lb flouro trace......very handy knot.....
Just make sure you do exactly as shown in the bottom final part, this is crucial....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 1:35pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

And..... the way to tie the doubler is a good old fashioned figure 8 knot. I think Lethal also recommends 7 turns around the doubler when tying braid. I add a few more for good measure.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 1:52pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

That is a good knot shimma.

I use it for my mono to mono leaders but forgot about it for braid. Will have to give it a go
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 6:01pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

JK, give the mono more turns than the 3 shown, like maybe 6-7. Also some fishos like to make the braid loop about 6" long and then use this as a single piece of braid and then make the loop, twice the grip, I guess for the mono to hang onto,and 'bite down', hope you can make sense of that!!  cheers....Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 7:32pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

shimma thats a albright knot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 8:19pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is the Albright, empty, easy to see the difference when scrolling between the two. Lethals knot isn't threaded thru at the start it just starts wrapping, over, then back down.   This knot here, winds from the start up then back over itself, 12-13 times!! Lethals only has 3 twists,a different knot,tho similar in it's final look....Theres no name for Lethals one, as far as i know. YOU THERE LETHAL?  Care to comment,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 9:00pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i see said the blind man ,now you mention it i see the slight difference 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 9:01pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is the Deckies knot a variation of that Shimma?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 9:05pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

jim just trid tieing it and its quick and easy ,might have to use that instead of the albright Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 9:36pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Moocha, I'm not sure I know the 'Deckies' knot. Maybe someone else can answer?
Page  12>