Bow Hunting black stingray - Ban it.

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bow Hunting black stingray - Ban it.
    Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I will say outright, I dont agree with this practice. It is hardly a catch and release sport and says more about the person killing the animal than the activity they participate in.

The picture below is not from a NZ site but there are plenty like the one below that are.

It may be different if they were killing them for food but this is purely for bragging rights, it is pathetic.

Stingray are seen as culturally significant in NZ (and Polynesia generally) and are often portrayed as kaitiaki of certain areas. 

Shame on the NZ Bow Hunters Society, this is the 21st century. This type of killing/culling does nothing for your sport or hunters image in NZ at all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah pretty darn dumb that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:21pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The only good thing about that list is that most of it dates from 20-30 years ago, I'd like to think people have moved on since then.  Although I did see one recent date on the list, so some people are still chasing them.  Lots of shark species on their web site too.  Don't really understand why you would kill something for the fun of it, fine if you are going to eat it but just such a waste otherwise.  I understand the carp hunting where they are trying to get rid of a pest, but these other species should be left alone.  Like you say, it's hardly catch and release when you shoot them with an arrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weemandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 10:10pm
Weemandan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mutha fukers......... Senseless destruction for what........ Makes me sick. At least the commies are raping the sea for money......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rudini33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:11am
rudini33 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Didn't know fu... idiots like that exist in NZ!! Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:11am
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was a member of the NZBHS for quite some time, shot a fair few deer (13) and things, which were all eaten, with bows and had a lot of fun, very exciting way to hunt. I attended the annual tournament once in Katikati and, as a Southlander,  was taken out after rays, this was about 2003. At that time rays were listed as a species you could "claim" toward gaining certain awards but very few guys targeted them once they'd claimed one and it was sort of only a Tauranga "thing". I did shoot a few that day, was a bit of a different experience but I wouldn't say it did much for me and did seem senseless. I know many of the guys on that list and they're good blokes, its just like a lot of things that we did in years gone by that doesn't seem right nowadays.
 I havent been a member for over a decade and not sure if rays are still listed but I very much doubt many are taken these days. I dont condone it, wouldn't do it now, but wouldn't think its much of an issue either. I wouldn't judge the NZBHS, or NZBS as they are now, too harshly on this one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 7:59am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea fairly senseless hey?  I think as 8wt said almost all of the records are from many years ago.  A different culture around hunting and fishing back then.  I remember doing ultralight game fishing back then.  A practice I now see as annoying a fish to the boat and something I defiantly wouldn't do any more.  There is however one that was claimed last year?  

Also notice that eagle rays are listed but as with black stingrays the records are from many years ago. 

That been said their latest magazine has a photo of a proud hunter with a ray on the cover?  Very uncool!! Thumbs Down  http://nzbowhunters.co.nz/public_html/NEW2012/magazine-2/latest-magazine/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 11:08am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At least those Chinese from the fresh as you get thread eat their catch. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:09pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a strange cover for a hunters magazine - along with the Stingray there is a Kea, Penguin, Morepork and a very cute looking piglet....? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 3:53pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

walk down muriwai after surfcasters who make no effort to return, you will be shocked
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 5:01pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea id suggest FAR more are killed senselessly by the dregs of society fishing than by bowhunters? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:41pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip,
it happens,

yip,
There retards,

Yip, Yip, Yip.
Buggered if im gonna defend such behavior.

Bragging rights is the only motivation.
There just the poor mans version of 'Hunters' that pay to kill  [Lets face it Tame]
animals in 'game reserves'.

Its not like you have to stalk or be cautious with a Stingray.
Wouldn't be surprised to soon be seeing selfies  of dead  whalesharks and sunfish with frigging Arrows stickin out of them.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weemandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 11:02pm
Weemandan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep, it was a while ago, and the anus's like the surfcasters and net fishermen that leave rays and sharks etc dead on the beach are pricks.
I think bow hunting is great and mates do it for deer that they eat etc.
like everything, my big issue is the senseless killing and waste. Doesn't matter what it is, or how long ago or recent. End of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:26am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haven't read too many replies. I have this to add...

Yes some of the records are still old however still appears on their web page which would suggest that they condone killing of rays for trophy status. Either that or they are just creating false idols. Either way, it is small appendage type stuff.

I have contacted local Kaumatua and informed them of the issue with the NZBHS. Hopefully they can send a clear message that it is not tolerated in the Manukau Harbour at least. I would encourage people who fish other harbours to do the same via their local iwi.

On a personal front, it isn't tolerated by me. I did ask one bow hunter standing at Orpheus Point that was waiting for a black ray to swim past so he could kill it to leave quietly. My approach was subtle I can assure you, I can be very diplomatic at times.

Hopefully, these types of men (and it is mainly men) are a dying breed in NZ.

Be nice if this was the unanimous decision of Fishing.net.nz but it is so closely related to spear fishing, I doubt they would be on board. You can still find recent pictures of Southern Bluefin tuna (on the critically endangered list) strung up for bragging rights around this place with plenty of "hand clap" smilies to boot.

Thanks those supporters.

On a positive note; The Manukau starting to lead the way in helping marine biodiversity.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/74213535/stingrays-saved-from-death-in-onehunga-bay-lagoon-by-new-grate

Stingrays saved from death in Onehunga Bay Lagoon by new grate

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 10:13pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah - just because the target is a fish somehow these sort "think" that killing them doesn't rate a blip on the radar.

I'd rate these j*rks as way down there with set netters. Maybe there should be a size limit or daily limit on rays to help protect them from these Neanderthals who kill for blood lust.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 11:47am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jeez that wanton killing stuff is pretty sickening. 

That looks like a forum member saving the ray in the photo...
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 6:35pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup thats me Nick. Bushkid saving the world one ray at a time.
As for bow hunting black rays there is no challenge, you could add other easy targets like sheep, labradors and bait fisherman.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 7:38pm
red rooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

who says they are not eating them ??? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:45pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If anyone is THAT hungry that they gotta eat a fricken stingray, please feel free to drop round to my place and I'll fix up a grand feast for you - snapper fresh from Countdown, gurnard fresh from Countdown, blue cod.... you get the idea. I'll also throw in a couple steaks, some choice Mad Butcher sossies, fresh ciabatta and a salad. Hell you can even guzzle a beer from my fridge, I mean, what are mates for after all?

Go 'hunt' something that can at least bite, scratch, kick, gore, claw, stomp or maul you. Something that can at least pit its senses against yours. Something that can at least be a teeny weeny bit challenging for your 'manliness'.

Ever heard of 'shooting fish in a barrel'? Shooting stingrays with a bow = same thing.

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:11pm
red rooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You don't eat eggs then I take it ?_
Page  123 4>