A good cold winter - gurnard time

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A good cold winter - gurnard time
    Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:47pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not good for the snapper fishing, but for those of us that chase the gurnard, I find a good cold winter with a good couple of frosts really gets the gurnards on the Kaipara on the bite. What's your favourite rig and bait?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:23pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My favorite rig is what I like to call "the smudge special'. Better off if he explained it. As for bait, bonito or kahawai.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm not sold on the frost thing but no doubt a good cold spell gets them into the harbours. I agree with Kitno on his choice of baits but I have a couple of variations on that. In the Manukau, skipjack and kahawai that has been in the freezer a tad too long work really well. Mullet is also a top bait, fresh or frozen. On the west coast I catch heaps of gurnard on inchiku jigs and squid baits yet neither of those work well for me in the harbour.

I put a special effort into tying my rigs. I use light gear, usually 6lb mainline with a 20lb trace. I use recurve hooks and while any hook will work I consider the best hook to be a 4/0 Mustad Demon circle hook to be the best. Am currently using De Coro hooks (thanks Uncle) and have found then pretty good despite their heavy (read very strong) wire.

I'm a little fussy about tying the rig and use a two hook dropper with the lower hook sitting on the bottom with the sinker, which by the way is usually a 4oz long skinny sinker Big smile - not like I'm nutty or anything...

I hook the baits through once only and when I drop the line down I keep it fairly taut once it hits the bottom.

Gurnard have a distinctive bite that little sharks try to imitate nd the trick is not to strike those bites. wait for the third or fourth nod then lift and wind! It's yours.

The best commercial rig I have used is a terakihi terror. I just shorten the distance from the first hook to the sinker.

I pretty much always use two rods when gurnard fishing and one will be a strayline. I fish the droppers/flasher directly under the boat.

There's no one thing that really works for me, it's really a combination of all those things. If you fancy yourself as a gurnard fisherman Kandrew you should fish our Grunter Hunter comp on June 11. $2000 first prize Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ohhh I have a couple of other tricks, happy to share after the comp Big smile but the real success comes from being in the right place at the right time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:22am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No expert mate, just picked up a few good tricks from the kaipara locals. Darren that used to fish out there used to give us all a few good tips over a couple of coldies at the club.

Yep I might come up fish your comp, my uncle Len Duff used to own the Huia motor camp for years. So as a young fella I spent plenty of time fishing that end of the Manukau as well as hanging around his home brew shed.

I use size 14 long line hooks and I tie my own flasher onto them, blue and green with silver seems to work best for me. I tie my own droppers and I like the first hook about 100mm up from the sinker then a gap of about 250mm to the next hook. The loops for the hooks are 100mm long so the hooks don't get tangled.

Lightly salted skippy and mullet for me, small strips hooked once through the end. 15 to 20 bl leader and i fish 3kg braid on a very light rod. I fish shallow on the kaipara 2 to 4 mtrs just off the guts up on the banks. 2 rods with 4 ounch teardrop sinker, cast out the back. Into the rod hod holder and let the gurnard catch themselves. I don't strike with braid or you'll pull the bait out of their mouths.

Having said all of above, I've also caught heaps on soft baits, pumpkin seed grubs with a jig head just light enough to get to the bottom, cast out and retrieved very slowly. Don't strike just keep winding slowly until their hooked. I caught a few in the firth this way at Easter using bursed banana Zman curly tails.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:33am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

No expert mate, just picked up a few good tricks from the kaipara locals. Darren that used to fish out there used to give us all a few good tips over a couple of coldies at the club.

Yep I might come up fish your comp, my uncle Len Duff used to own the Huia motor camp for years. So as a young fella I spent plenty of time fishing that end of the Manukau as well as hanging around his home brew shed.

I use size 14 long line hooks and I tie my own flasher onto them, blue and green with silver seems to work best for me. I tie my own droppers and I like the first hook about 100mm up from the sinker then a gap of about 250mm to the next hook. The loops for the hooks are 100mm long so the hooks don't get tangled.

Lightly salted skippy and mullet for me, small strips hooked once through the end. 15 to 20 bl leader and i fish 3kg braid on a very light rod. I fish shallow on the kaipara 2 to 4 mtrs just off the guts up on the banks. 2 rods with 4 ounch teardrop sinker, cast out the back. Into the rod hod holder and let the gurnard catch themselves. I don't strike with braid or you'll pull the bait out of their mouths.

Having said all of above, I've also caught heaps on soft baits, pumpkin seed grubs with a jig head just light enough to get to the bottom, cast out and retrieved very slowly. Don't strike just keep winding slowly until their hooked. I caught a few in the firth this way at Easter using bursed banana Zman curly tails.

Very cool!Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:54am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I feel like I have arrived at a very similar recipe!

Favourite hook for Gurnard would be 2/0 or 4/0 Mustad Demon Circle. I snell them on to a 2-hook ledger rig. 20lb droppers with a 30lb main usually, swivel onto 3-4m of 30lb mono FG knotted to "20lb" braid. I keep the droppers fairly short, maybe 10cm.
I make my "flashers" with the little rubber squiddy things, lately I've been finding that pale pink is the go-to colour with lumo just behind it. Orange works well too and seems to increase bycatch of Trevally.
The bottom bait hangs just above the sinker.
4oz long skinny sinker.
My #1 bait at the moment for Gurnard is little strips of defrosted Jack Mackerel, with the caveat that these need changing fairly regularly as they seem to "bleach" and lose their attraction. Also tuna is good.
Berley - pilchard and bonito all day; I find mussel+kina is alright and Salmon a complete waste of time for grunters.
I tend to fish 2 rods, both straight up and down, with the sinker juuuuust bouncing on the bottom. Oddly enough I seem to catch heaps of them in the rod holder, seems to impart an action the Gurnard find attractive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:24pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why the long skinny sinkers?
I use bombs for mine
I try to use 4/0 or 5/0 but have caught just as many on 7/0
I also fish ledgers but I also flick a rod 20 odd meters out the back with a running sinker and a 600 (aprox) trace off it. This often gets gurnard but also snaps as the ledgers create their own smelly trail.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:43pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

I use bombs for mine
I also fish ledgers but I also flick a rod 20 odd meters out the back with a running sinker and a 600 (aprox) trace off it. This often gets gurnard but also snaps as the ledgers create their own smelly trail.

Muddy bottom; I depth-charge the sinker and it gets wedged in the seabed. I reckon circle hooks work best when the backbone/mainline is fairly taut. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

I use bombs for mine

Muddy bottom; I depth-charge the sinker and it gets wedged in the seabed. I reckon circle hooks work best when the backbone/mainline is fairly taut. 

Sounds pretty much how I fish. The reason I use a long skinny sinker is that a gentle lift of the rod will get the sinker to stand up. Then drop the rod and it lays down. I think it helps attract the fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:17pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, I guess I use the bombs as they are easier to get. Boat shows coming up.

I only use circle hooks for Gurnard for sure

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:07pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I am finding all these methods, theories & beliefs very interesting, because a few years ago I used to catch plenty of gurnard on the Kaipara mostly a decent size as well, but nowadays it seems to be a fairly uncommon occurrence ... well is for me anyway..

Am using the same gear & set up, going to the same places .... so am
puzzled as to what has changed ???

Also the species caught were more varied with the results of a typical trip including snapper, gurnard, trevs, KY, rays & the inevitable doggies along with an occasional shark.

Now the catch seems to consist of mainly snapper, the occasional gurnard, hardly ever any trevs ... probably a KY or two then maybe a ray or shark & of course the obligatory doggies.

Have also noticed the gurnard that are caught on average are smaller than a few years ago.

Does this mean there are now less variance of species occupying the area I am fishing or is there another likely explanation/s ?

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:53pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been a lot of fresh water flowing into the kaipara this year with all this lovely weather Barry. Don't know if this has any thing to do with it but I've also think the tides or currents seem to be a lot smaller this season. I've had a lot of days when there's just been bugger all current even at half tide the lines have been straight down. Been a heap of small snapper around as well, need a bit of current to bring the bigger fish on. Maybe the gurnard haven't been able to complete with all the small snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:59pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As a relative newby to the "dark art" of targeting Gurnard, its great to hear all about the theory and rigs guys are using in the quest for the humble carrot.
Two things I have learnt...
Listen and learn from local experts
(Ply with liquer if required)
Most tips and tricks can be transferred to your local carrot patch.
And you can't catch the little buggers if there are none there, so....location,location, location.

"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:12pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the Manukau i use a ledger rig . First hook about 6 inches above the sinker and second hook about 15-18 inches above that. Simple loops about 6" long with hook looped on and a small chunk of bait hooked through once only. Surprising the number of gurnard caught on the top hook.
Yet when targeting snapper on a running rig also catch gurnard on that. Have caught some of the biggest in mid summer.

As for bait. I learned to catch Gurnard in Wellington when young.

Popular bait then was a lump of gravy beef and that caught plenty of gurnard. I also used that  bait with great success. So guess they eat almost anything.
Jack Mackeral work well for me  in the Manukau,along with Kahawai and Skipjack and mullet.
Down in Welly biggest two i caught were four and a half pound . Not sure how that would translate into length. But they were big.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:04am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

As a relative newby to the "dark art" of targeting Gurnard, its great to hear all about the theory and rigs guys are using in the quest for the humble carrot.
Two things I have learnt...
Listen and learn from local experts
(Ply with liquer if required)
Most tips and tricks can be transferred to your local carrot patch.
And you can't catch the little buggers if there are none there, so....location,location, location.

My wife caught the 2 biggest Gurnard I've ever seen, at the same time, while we were fishing over broken foul and catching blue cod. Enigmatic buggers show up at the oddest places from time to time.

I'm worried that I'm becoming the Smudge of the South(ern North Island) - every time I go out I generally just end up catching Gurnard. Went out hunting Snapper on Anzac day; caught 0 Snapper and 13 Gurnard LOL LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:14am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We find the best thing for catching gurnard down here is Katch 1 Fish Kandy burley. (Tuna burley....has not been in the shop for a while....don't know if it is even still available?) It lasts really well and certainly drags in the fish. Doesn't matter too much what rig we have but really like Bonito bait.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:08am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

salted skippy for us

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yummy , and I like the light rigs and ledgers too .. manukau great place to learn how to catch em.. and some big suckers as well. Then apply knowlege elsewhere as they frequent lots of places east side as well and if anything increasingly prevalent. And people seldom target them this side.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best eaten with your fingers whole with a few roasted carbs...
Page  12>