Safety Gear?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety Gear?
    Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 2:33pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Once you have your Scuba basics (BCD, Regs, Wetsuit etc)

What is essential safety gear required for diving?

Whistle
Safety saussage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:50pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Non sharp pointed knife
Torch

If you going from the shore a float and line and flag always makes things a bit safer or even if you are going from a boat and going through where boats go when gettingf Scallops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 7:40pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I always dive in a flurohood which are bright colors so I can be seen by my boatman.

The other less obvious idea (than the sausage etc which you should carry) is if you have a catch bag and are diving in current or unfamiliar areas throw a plastic bottle of water in your bag.

If you end up floating around out there fresh water would be the single most valuable item to have if for some reason rescue runs into time.......

It is neutrally bouyant when full and doesn't take up much room in your bag.

I also have a clip on my bag so can clip it to my d rings to free my hands up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 1:53pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A brain.

Followed by a plan.

And then a damn good shot of afterthought before you dive...

As far as gear, good fitting, correct setups, minimal crap so you don't look like a walking dive shop (carting all that crap around will only tire you out faster) and an understanding of what the computer thingy is saying!

The thing everyone forgets is to sort out is emergency medical contacts and safety gear before they go out, including O2 kit and the like.  That stuff can save your life...

I used to take diving charters out, the number of people who would listen to the brief, set their compass and then disappear down current and have to be rescued was unbelievable.  And then complain that there wasn't any crayfish on the sand!  FFS...

Needless to say I don't do dive charters any more.  Am now diving in the construction field, up inside power stations and pipelines and the like.  Much safer...