Piper lures

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piper lures
    Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:49pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have been looking around for good piper imitations, here's a few I have found.

Guston lure
Needle fish imitation for striped bass

Carpenter Sand Eel
FCL Labo stick bait

Be keen to see other piper imitation stickbaits......
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:55pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

arent those fcl stickbaits supposed to be pretty damn good?

TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:58pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Um yeah they have a good reputation, I had one before and wasn't overly impressed with its action (different model) although I didn't really get a chance to show it to a kingfish. Even though this is a sinking lure I think it could still work well just sub surface....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:04pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You will want to check out Lurenzo LBGer.

He has some nice PE3 lures that are great imitations of Garfish.

http://www.lurenzo.com/productos/?lang=en
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

The needle fish you posted above also comes in a jointed model, it's popular in the Striper scene also.

The FCL HJ Stick is heavily weighted under the chin, it will have a wobble like a vibe. I personally haven't used any of the latest FCL lures, have you casted this one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:12pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No, haven't cast it yet.... will check out the Lurenzo... Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:19pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dint include the little jack sayoris .....
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/21267/cPath/31_645_1547_1557/osCsid/44d218f736f54f0897f331839b4b8236/fishing-lure.html
Great little piper imitation but not a PE5 lure....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:25pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The DUO press bait sairas are pretty good imitations just need a beak on them

Also brought a piper popper imitation up at the Pihia markets that worked a treat, unfortunately worked to well and is no longer... think top catch whangarei had some similar to them

http://duo-inc.co.jp/en/saltwater/press-bait/press-bait-175-saira/

http://www.fnzl.co.nz/collections/lures/products/press-bait-saira-clear-saury
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

I dint include the little jack sayoris .....
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/21267/cPath/31_645_1547_1557/osCsid/44d218f736f54f0897f331839b4b8236/fishing-lure.html
Great little piper imitation but not a PE5 lure....

That's the problem I have found making long piper imitations, their length and slim profile just gives them no action at all... The finishing is nice on the Little Jack, but geez it's pretty boring in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:55pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The question I would ask is do live piper have that much action when they swim? compared to a jack mack, kahawai etc
Not from what I've seen, so if imitating them when fishing a lure swimming it straight and on top/just under the surface might work better? Piper imitations might work better as a "skitter" popper as opposed to a workable stick bait, if kingfish were feeding on piper they would eat them worked like that i'm sure...
The said lure above was lost by quickly retrieving it along the surface

Those jack sayoris look pretty good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:58pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The needle fish imitation when jerked and retrieved quickly has a great action and looks just like a piper skipping across the surface.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 9:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

Might have to hit the drawing board...

Add to the thread what you would like to see in a piper imitation for NZ conditions.

Length?
Weight?
Maybe even a subsurface bait and then a little scoop mouthed skipping popstick...

I hear what deacs is saying with skipping them along the surface, it seems to work well when the bite is hard; I don't know if it's because the Kings don't get a good look at the lure or the speed just triggers them to act first, think later.

The Needlefish are available in kit form from the USA if you want to paint the up yourself LBGer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 9:20pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nah... too lazy... well actually too much other stuff going on.
I think the silver blue translucent colour is the winner, big black and white eye. Maybe the scoop mouth as you say, the needlefish can work actually work really fish like in the water with side to side motion depending on how they are worked with the rod so the action may have to come more from the fisherman....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:39am
Rotate View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

came across this this morning after reading this thread. 
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/strike-pro-gardie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 8:26am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would say if wanting a stickbait base it on the biggest fattest piper you have ever seen.... the one at the top of the page would be a decent example maybe 25-30cm long would need to be around 50g at least to have enough weight for casting for most rods made these days (I am guessing)

Will be interesting to see what you come up with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 8:46am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rotate Rotate wrote:

came across this this morning after reading this thread. 
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/strike-pro-gardie

There are a couple of those hanging on the wall in my local tackle shop, and I've been tempted several times.  I have a slightly smaller strike-pro jointed lure and it has a nice swimming action in the water.  But I use it with a fairly light set up, I have used it with a softbait rod.  I see those piper ones only weigh 24g.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 6:30pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Carp sand eel is to light to be of any practical use, at 18 gramms I struggle to throw mine. Even with a PE 2-3 popping rod.
The carpenter France pen with its long narrow nose would be my pick
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 9:00pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got the biggest size Carpenter sand eel (38gr) and can chuck it a good 70-80 meters with PE4 on my Ocea Bluefin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 9:53pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got a 12 or so different versions of these.

1st time out I pulled it through a school of piper, looked exactly like a grey hounding piper. Not complicated to fish, they've had heaps of interest/follows and have a ride range of actions depending on retrieve speed & tip height.

Every time I've taken them out the kings just have refused to take anything we've offered. Will have another crack on my trip in april.

A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 12:13am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

here i was thinking you wanted lures for catching piper, i was going to kindly offer some of my chocolate wrapper sabikis. ;-)

i like that fcl stick bait, a lot.

Page  123 4>