Flounder guide to Auckland

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wikipeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 12:29pm
Wikipeter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got outnin the manukau and tamaki river last night..tamaki was pretty stink lotsa baby flounder though.

Manukau was ok a 4am hightide meant a late night...4 flounder and a bunch of piper

Tried the new light out and is very effective in clear water.

Pics to come
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 6:43pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone ever managed to catch them on a rod. Tried a couple of time over the summer for a laugh. Dug up some worms on the beach and fished an incoming evening tide using a light soft plastic outfit with a running rig (small hook and sinker).
No luck yet though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:20pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by welshbaz welshbaz wrote:

Anyone ever managed to catch them on a rod. Tried a couple of time over the summer for a laugh. Dug up some worms on the beach and fished an incoming evening tide using a light soft plastic outfit with a running rig (small hook and sinker).
No luck yet though.

This subject has been discussed many, many times before on the forum.

Short answer is YES it does work & can be heaps of fun but for DIY details, with all due respect suggest you try the search function.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote James00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:17am
James00 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice Work...Keep going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:54am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by James00 James00 wrote:

Nice Work...Keep going....

Yes indeed ..... let's not let the subject go flat!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:52pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice topic.

Any variations seasonally or do they hang around the same areas year round? I'll be having a go in July.

my older uncles used to carve up so I'll pick their brains and hopefully share some more tips.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The water is too cold for me to go spearing in winter Pickles but I think they are still around.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:49pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll have to use some warm waders!
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:14pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pickles pickles wrote:

I'll have to use some warm waders!
Cheers

You are probably only "tongue in cheek" pickles but if not be VERY careful about wearing waders in the dark where flounder are to be found.

Fine if you know the bottom is firm or sandy but if likely to be soft or muddy then wader boots can be near impossible to release should they become stuck in soft stuff which is not a very comforting feeling if it is dark & an incoming tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:24pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bazza I was actually serious mate, but thanks very much for the heads up. I will be sure to check out the bottom during the day and ensure the water, wherever I am, doesn't rise past the waist. Bloody scary thought to be stuck like that. I remember a few stories over the years of people dying in the mud flats and mangroves
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:20am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pickles pickles wrote:

Bazza I was actually serious mate, but thanks very much for the heads up. I will be sure to check out the bottom during the day and ensure the water, wherever I am, doesn't rise past the waist. Bloody scary thought to be stuck like that. I remember a few stories over the years of people dying in the mud flats and mangroves

Yep I can vouch for how scary it is when I made the mistake of wearing neoprene waders in the upper harbour at night to go flyfishing for flounder. Waded out without too much problem but when trying to backtrack encountered soft patches & began sinking to knees. It is unbelievable how much effort is required to extract a wader boot & whilst doing so your entire weight ( which in my case is considerable ) is transferred to the other boot making it sink even deeper. Tide was rising & was ****e scared so was ultra relieved to eventually reach firmer ground but was close to total exhaustion.

Personally I would not take the slightest chance of being in that situation again & before you or anyone else consider doing so, would suggest wearing gumboots in daylight somewhere that is mildly muddy then question whether you would care to risk it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 3:19pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well said Bazza. I've been stuck in mud on a farm in gumboots before and it sucked. Can only imagine the fear and adrenalin that would hit you in the dark with rising water. I guess the other reason for wearing them is to mitigate the damage from a ray should I stand on one. Had a few close calls before. Hmmm maybe a founder net is a better alternative!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sumthinfishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 5:32pm
sumthinfishi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I remember years ago as a young chap trying to impress a young lady. Took her to the lagoon at Sth Kaipara Head for a 'walk'. As we walked along the water I kept seeing little puffs of sand as flounder which were sunning themselves along the edges, took off. Wondering to myself if I could stalk one and grab it I set out to do just that. F#@K me I don't know who was more surprised - me, the young lady, or the unfortunate flounder! Piece of cake. Maybe they go to sleep in the sun?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sumthinfishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 5:33pm
sumthinfishi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

haven't tried it since. Maybe it was a retarded flounder...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 6:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

raised with the old fella next door,he reckons moonlit night on the flats,when you spot a flounder use light line small hook and pea,it will float done and bingo,trying to talk him into going this weekend,will post results.minted or plain?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wikipeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 3:43pm
Wikipeter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Those days where they come in close are documented in the maramataka calendar...but i'll keep them ones a secret ;) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wikipeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 10:06am
Wikipeter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone been out lately? Water is nice and still
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LONGBLACKROD420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:54pm
LONGBLACKROD420 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

U
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 2:14pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did some water quality testing in Weymouth a few months ago. Not the greatest quality ecoli-wise due to the stormwater outfalls being quite contaminated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LONGBLACKROD420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 4:28pm
LONGBLACKROD420 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Really?? Is that just by the reserve there where you tested? I caught these out the bottom between the rugby club and palmers rd on the flats if you know where im talking, would you say chances are the water quality is bad all around there also? Just so I know for next time whether to avoid or not lol if so its a shame theres some good flounder around there.. cheers for update m8
Page  <12345>