KABURA

Page  <1 3456>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:30pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

are those little hooks Owners Kaveman?
if so, i havent had a problem either with them,
just the skirt being ripped to bits and the trace getting worn nothing else at all otherwise all good...

No, not Owner hooks Eric but just as strong and very few problems over the 3 years i have used them(very similar shape to Owner though)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 10:01am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pick some Kabura lures in various sizes up at the boat show and along with the purchase we were given a CD on their use.
Watched it for the first time last night and was pretty much disappointed with it as I thought as the title said "How to fish freestyle Kabura". Apart from the few minutes (if that) by where the japanese guys spoke most of the content was from Outdoors with Geoff, which I had already seen. Maybe I expected more from the video???
Not knocking the lures as obviously they work just the title or content of the CD.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 1:21pm
Hex View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does your rod need to have a lot of give when fishing these lures?

I currently use a Shimano Catana 7" 6-8kg 1 piece with Shimano Corvalus 400 the rod's quite stiff down towards the reel seat is this going to detrimental to using these? although from reading the setting of the hooks is done through the reel. But I see marinedeals have got Abu Garcia Veritas specials on this week. I do have some jigs on the way and hopefully get out to give them a go this weekend. 
Why do today, what you can put off tomorrow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 7:10am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have been using the Catch Kaburas on the last 3 trips and they've been fun to use - and have caught both the smallest and largest fish on the trips.

However the skirts have taken an absolute pounding and the replacements are blooming expensive. What are folks using to replace these with?

You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 7:16am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have used an Inchiku replacement hookset and squid skirt.  Need to give the lure a little more action but seems to work OK. 
I think Kaveman on here has replacement skirts for slider type rigs at more than reasonable prices.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 7:39am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

Have been using the Catch Kaburas on the last 3 trips and they've been fun to use - and have caught both the smallest and largest fish on the trips.

However the skirts have taken an absolute pounding and the replacements are blooming expensive. What are folks using to replace these with?

I sell replacement skirts $2.50 each or 5 for $10Wink (green and orange colours available)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:05am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

I sell replacement skirts $2.50 each or 5 for $10Wink (green and orange colours available)

Excellent - pm sent
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 11:19pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Pick some Kabura lures in various sizes up at the boat show and along with the purchase we were given a CD on their use.
Watched it for the first time last night and was pretty much disappointed with it as I thought as the title said "How to fish freestyle Kabura". Apart from the few minutes (if that) by where the japanese guys spoke most of the content was from Outdoors with Geoff, which I had already seen. Maybe I expected more from the video???
Not knocking the lures as obviously they work just the title or content of the CD.

you might like to have a look at what Paul has to say about them...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 1:24pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm enjoying this style of fishing, What oh reels set up  and braid and leader size is others using.
Cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 9:24am
cauthen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I enjoy this style of fishing . So much more fun than just winching them in . Generally i drift with two rods in the holders. Hasn't been as good this year so far , too many small fish. It is easy to flick the unwanted lip hooked fish off without damaging them .
   I have 15lb braid and 20lb leader. I use a corvalus 400 which is slowly falling apart.  Any reel suggestions appreciated .  Easily adjustable drag would be good . Idiot serviceable as well ...
   When i have tried different skirts the Catch ones easily out peformed but @ $10 for two I am happy to be corrected.  Either way it is still cheaper than buying bait and burley.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote randomangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:57am
randomangler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Setups that I use for kabura's is similar to other metal lures - there is not much action to impart to kabura's the reel does most of the lure action.

What I use is:

Daiwa Lexa 300 HSP
Gravity rod
30lb 832
40lb Ocea fluro

The fish are a bit shy on the heavy line so the other set is:

Shimano Calcutta200d
Shimano Jigwrex Bottomship 160gm
10lb 832
20lb Ocea Fluro

If using the catch lures - put a few winds of braid around the rubber grommet and pull resasonably tight which will make the skirts pull out less when fish bite onto them. Not too tight as the braid can cut through the grommet - alternatively put a cable tie around it and pull tight. Or just get the OceanAngler Slider skirts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:12pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Or just use my replacement skirts at a fraction of the the price of the othersLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:37pm
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or just use my replacement skirts at a fraction of the the price of the othersLOL

And very tough well made skirts they are too. I purchased a heap of spares and haven't even needed them. The hooks are sharp and strong too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote randomangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry Kaveman, have not tried your skirts, might have to get some then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 1:02pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by ohsif ohsif wrote:

And very tough well made skirts they are too. I purchased a heap of spares and haven't even needed them. The hooks are sharp and strong too.

Glad they are going well for you ohsifCool
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:58pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reading post by random angler. Like the sound of both the Daiwa lexa 300.& shimano calcutta 200d. But if you hook a decent king is the line capacity there.?

I too have started using Kabura slow jigs . I catch fish with them and enjoy using them.

So wanting to further get into various jigs.

May come as a surprise but currently  use Kabura on 8kg suffix mono on a calcutta 400. And it works well ,but think i can do better gear wise
Anyone have issues with backlash with braid on overhead reels, or speed of drop.

Have not used a egg beater reel for ages ,and recently used one of my mates but found it difficult to get used to. Felt all wrong and unbalanced.

Also like the Calcutta 400 . Would these be suited also. Due for a new one.

And would the lexa or calcutta 200 be o.k for the occasional bait session in the shallow harbours.
Cant see why not. Like the idea of gear that can be used in various locations and methods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote randomangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

I have caught small kingys (legal up to around 10kg so far) and kahawai on both sets, and some big Snapper. I have over 200m of braid on each set up respectively. Calcutta took full spool of 275m 10lb, and Lexa took about 220m of 30lb.

I have also caught a legal king on another lexa300 setup which was loaded with 10lb braid.

Both reels are fine on the drop, no issues with over run, just adjust the tension knob slightly to give a tiny bit of resistance.

As far as bait fishing, don't do much of that myself, but would expect the Lexa rig to be fine, the little calcutta with light braid might not give the pulling power to stop them going to ground and busting you off, however its no different to softbaiting in shallows on 10lb. I have used both rigs for softbaiting, and microjigs, and have used the Lexa for flatfall jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:55pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that. Will check them both out. Guess there are some fish nothing will stop. Hooked something in the firth a few years back. spooled of 300 meters in about 30 seconds flat. Have never hooked such a fast fish before or since. Didnt even pause on the run. Often wonder what that was .
YFT.? A few have been caught in the past there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 8:09am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Reels dont have to anything fancy for fishing kabura sliders, any reel will do although i do prefer overhear reels
I normally use a Lexa 300 which holds 300yd of 10lb Stren microfuse. never had any fish get close to spooling me
Calcutta would be fine cirrusThumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 1:25pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I found some spare bottomship skirts in the boat, so tied a running ball sinker above a solid ring, then looped the bottom ship skirt through the ring ... put 10 cod in the bin within an hour ... admittedly the fishing was going pretty good anyway, but didnt notice a difference between that set up and the occasional kabura style lure i have used in the past (thanks to the MIL sending them over from Japan).
Page  <1 3456>