Prediction for the coming season

Page  123 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prediction for the coming season
    Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last year I predicted the Stripes on the West Coast.

The coming season will be the year of the Blues, but you might need a bigger boat! because part of that is lousy weather :0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 6:56pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great work last season Pete, this season I hope you bat at 50%
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:07pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well Pete, I have often followed your advice and enjoyed success. I have told my wife this, she thought it was great and actively encouraged it. Regrettably, I have to say that I am "advised" that I need a a new advisor as the "need a bigger boat" just aint gonna fly... Appreciate the effort though :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 8:31pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Easterlies, blue water and big girls...bring it on.
My prediction...yellowfin drought continues, stripes on the 60 metre line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 8:36pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ARRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH I'm sick to death of the Easterlies. PLEASE be wrong unless you're saying the winds will be Westerly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 8:45pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

um easterlies, means west coast. will the fish run that side again this season?.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 8:57pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Easterlies not as bad as sou-easterlies on the east coast...nearly but not quite. Sou-east runs against the prevailing current, easterly sort of across current, a bit... to a degree, kind of, maybe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:20pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Peter Pakula Peter Pakula wrote:

Last year I predicted the Stripes on the West Coast.

The coming season will be the year of the Blues, but you might need a bigger boat! because part of that is lousy weather :0

Sounds ok Peter..

Just out of interest...  do you have any theory about why the yellowfin are now absent from NZ waters?

Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sho_gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 10:10pm
Sho_gun View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Part timer the rise of the Purse Seiners in the Pacific has brought about the demise of the YFT In NZ. Fact not theory. Why do we no longer get YFT when other countries such as Pacific Islands still do. Simple: we were never on the direct migratory path. The schools that ventured into our waters were overflow. They are the first to disappear when numbers are dramatically reduced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 10:58pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah... I thought the same Sho_gun...  I was just intersted to read about a run of YF on Aussie east coast  a few weeks back that was out of the ordinary by all accounts...   

ha ha  forever hopeful Ouch    I have caught a few small YF ...    I was just hoping my son could catch one one day..  but it seems it wont happen in NZ waters..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sinful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:08pm
sinful View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im at this very moment sitting on the cliffs above Oia .... Santorini in the greek Islands watching Tuna  yellowfin/bluefin   ?.......smashing schools of baitfish about 400 metres off the coast and not one fishing boat is having a go at them .....are they protected here ?......nice size fish ...about 50kg models by the look of them through the binos .....Oh for a boat !..........

Hope to see this scene somewhere on a NZ coastline this summer !
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted
armed men, and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
- Hemingway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote karm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:45pm
karm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sinful, 
wot r u doing perving on candy in the greek Is , 
have u retired? in deep cover? got lost? gone awol ? gone soft? 
I remember u as talking about wot u recently did - not giving updates about voyuerism ?

& for the record I'm picking a few YFT will be landed this year by the recs - by a few I mean 10 -30 as opposed to the 3-8 we usually hear about .

cheers

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/uploads/53719/Legasea-contributor-avatar.jpg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 12:11am
Platinum
Platinum

Most likely you're not catching Yellowfin in NZ 'cause you aren't fishing for them. You aren't fishing where they were when they were and you no longer troll the lures that did, would, could catch them even if they were there when you were there.

We sell a number (Wink) of lures around a few places to pro Yellowfin boats. Of the lures we sell to those places none are sold to NZ.

How many of you troll the Zucker small grass skirt things anymore?

I had this same 'talk' locally a few months ago. Told a few guys where to go, told some where to fish and what to use and for some unknown reason the Yellowfin seem to have appeared off the gold coast :) They had completely disappeared except for two or three a year since the last time someone went to where they were and used what they ate.

I reckon is possible that's the same scenario with NZ Yellowfin.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 8:08am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

um easterlies, means west coast. will the fish run that side again this season?.

are you able to shed any light on this Peter? I know of one Blue that was hooked up and dropped of Raglan west coast last year.
I noticed that a lot of the action of Raglan last year was around that 80 -120m line on the shelf early in the season and then quite a bit shallower later in the season.
If we were to actually target Blues on the west coast do we need to be towing out in deeper water?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazy Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:02am
Crazy Horse View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have always said they are here and out more on the 1000 meter line than the 100 to 60 where most of us fish. Maybe 200 line at start of season but for the bulk of it in a lot closer. They have been caught here saw a photo of one weighted in raglan. Not sure of size but looked a good fish. Was well before I started this game, around 1985 photo taken I think
Blues must migrate  with the stripies but they are a deep water fish. There is nothing stopping them coming around the top to the west coast after coming to NZ at the start of the season from up nth.Trouble is 1000 meter line off Kawhia is I think about 60 miles off, not for the faint hearted in a small trailer boat with one motor. Did it once when we were out at the trench and trolled for big eye down that 1000 line. Got nothing and was pleased to get back to the trench where some commercial boys were working can tell you. I got a bit of a frosty reception as that was when we fished out there in Three "0" Eight. 5.93 meter stabie craft.
Back to the blues we need a good window of weather. About six good boats with even better fishermen,
Bigger lures and more speed while trolling. We need to spend about 3 solid days doing it. I can cart plenty of drums of fuel out there for refuelling. We should do this boys and I am sure we would strike the jack pot.

ANY ONE KEEN. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:36am
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So if we tow the grass skirt zukers we will start seeing this again?

(North Cape, Feb 2010)

Or do we have to smoke the grass first?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:45am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:16am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Crazy Horse Crazy Horse wrote:

I have always said they are here and out more on the 1000 meter line than the 100 to 60 where most of us fish. Maybe 200 line at start of season but for the bulk of it in a lot closer. They have been caught here saw a photo of one weighted in raglan. Not sure of size but looked a good fish. Was well before I started this game, around 1985 photo taken I think
Blues must migrate  with the stripies but they are a deep water fish. There is nothing stopping them coming around the top to the west coast after coming to NZ at the start of the season from up nth.Trouble is 1000 meter line off Kawhia is I think about 60 miles off, not for the faint hearted in a small trailer boat with one motor. Did it once when we were out at the trench and trolled for big eye down that 1000 line. Got nothing and was pleased to get back to the trench where some commercial boys were working can tell you. I got a bit of a frosty reception as that was when we fished out there in Three "0" Eight. 5.93 meter stabie craft.
Back to the blues we need a good window of weather. About six good boats with even better fishermen,
Bigger lures and more speed while trolling. We need to spend about 3 solid days doing it. I can cart plenty of drums of fuel out there for refuelling. We should do this boys and I am sure we would strike the jack pot.

ANY ONE KEEN. 

Keen as Dave Thumbs Up. Not so sure if my boat is quite up to a voyage like that yet, being quite an open boat ( not a hard top ), will need to get some more safety gear for sure. Could do it eventually after a bit more time on the water under my belt. I only started going out wide last year.
But Ill be keen as to jump on board with anyone else to do a mission like that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:17am
Platinum
Platinum

Fish are caught or not caught where fishermen fish. The places now fished are generally because of yesterdays reports. There isn't much exploratory stuff done these days I think because it's too expensive.
In most places, and I'd imagine NZ is no different, the best grounds for different species as are not the same place, so if you are fishing striped marlin areas you aren't hunting Blue Marlin and if you are fishing for either you aren't targeting yellowfin. There are certainly crossovers where you get all species, but usually one species is concentrated in an area.

In my area for example, like anywhere else you can find any species anywhere at any time, but the bulk of an individual species are found in rather specific areas and times
Little Blacks shore to  36 fathoms Nov to April lures 4 to 6 inch line class 8kg
Stripes 75 to 90 fathoms March to July but can get them anywhere anytime in as close as 8 fathoms. lures 6 to 10 inch line class 15kg
Blues all year but most in Nov to March mainly 120 to 250 fathoms lures 12 to 16 inch 80lb gear
Yellowfin 300 fathom area September to October and March to April. The schools rarely work the surface, but can be found on the sounder and by bird species in the area. They are up on top at dawn and dusk, but those times are rarely fished in my area. lures 4 to 10 inch line class 15 and 24kg

In NSW this year the guys who did best used their sounders to find them and then jigged or cubed for them. The Yellowfin did show at times on the surface but most of the time there were no signs where the fish were caught. The fish were spread out over huge distances but because there were lots of boats out there they were found.

The lures / line classes / lure positions vary for each of these zones by the guys who do the best.

You can be as sceptical as you want, but you can also target the species that should be in various places at various times of the year.

Nowhere, absolutely nowhere in the Southern Pacific are any pelagic species extinct. There has always been poor years, and great years, and I think you are looking down the barrel of a great year. Every year of great Blue Marlin fishing seems to co-incide with great Yellowfin fishing in the same year with the Fin coming towards the end of the main Blue Marlin run.

Ps Blues don't migrate with Stripes. Check out 'The Great Marlin Race' info. Blues are highly random.

Stripes, Yellowfin, Bluefin and Albacore pretty much stick to rather defined migrations.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 3:11pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When are we going Crazy Horse?
Page  123 7>