Prediction for the coming season

Page  <12345 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 1:06pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

My observation with the few YFT that I have seen caught, is that they seem to like dirty water, were there is very hard temperature change. this indicates stronger current, Blues prefer these areas as well, but maybe down current.

Pretty hard to get a handle on only a hand ful caught out of the blue here and there, but out of these this was shown
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 7:39pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its a fact that the is no meatball action these days in the BOP as there was more than a decade ago so I'm sorry Peter, its not changing fishing techniques that are causing fewer yellowfin captures in NZ. As MPI say (if you can believe anything they say) its spacial contraction, largely caused by factors outside our EEZ. You sell fewer small lures because there's no point in running them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 7:41pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=mangre 2]My observation with the few YFT that I have seen caught, is that they seem to like dirty water, were there is very hard temperature change. this indicates stronger current, Blues prefer these areas as well, but maybe down current

Hmmmm...must say I haven't noticed blues liking dirty water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:38pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tone E, time will tell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sho_gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 10:03pm
Sho_gun View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Peter you are the man and I am very thankful for the info you have put on the net over the years. It helped me alot when I was getting into game fishing And forthat I am most grateful

RE YFT however it is pretty clear that you don't really understand what has happened to our fishery.

To truly understand you would need to have seen first hand what we had, and also have been fishing here over the last 5 years to understand how it has changed.

Trying to tell us that we are not catching yellowfin anymore because we have stopped towing small lures is a piss take.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 11:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Shogun, do you really think Australia's fisheries have been exempt from he carnage. Do you think we have totally separate populations of pelagics. All pelagics that we chase are under the same pressures even if they are totally separate populations they all go where they are hammered.
Yes, there were lots more fish everywhere before, here and there and everywhere else.

Things you guys say there are the same things guys say here.

I'm not saying you'll get them ever again. All I said really was because of the Blue bite in Tonga I think you'll have a blinder Blue Marlin Season, but.......... blues in Tonga, Vanuatu, Fiji etc, are associated with Yellowfin, so........ if there's definitely not going to be any yellowfin in NZ this coming season then there probably won't be a Blue Marlin fabulous season either.

The scenario that has just occurred off Sydney was not because guys went out chasing Yellowfin. They were tracking a few Bluefin moving up from the south.

Most of the techniques used to chase Bluefin have come from Victoria where the average sized lures used are 4.5", 5.5", 6.5" and some 8". The Local guys fishing out of Sydney with their marlin lures etc caught almost nothing, not Bluefin or Yellowfin, one did a Blue Marlin though in 19 degree water off Bermagui, and in the last few weeks some Striped marlin are getting seen, caught. The guys using the smaller, tiny lures did catch the Tuna in reasonable numbers, but there were not lots of schools or meatballs.

Had the guys not trolled the bluefin gear then the NSW guys would still be saying there hasn't been any yellow fin for years. They have been decimated by the pros, and no-one would be out trolling for striped or a blue marlin at that time of year.

Maybe NZ is different. I'm just of the opinion that just because fish weren't there yesterday doesn't mean they won't be there tomorrow.

My mate reckons there's no trout in NZ. He's fished for them on 5 trips and hasn't caught one, hasn't seen one rise or a cruiser, but at least he's had a go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 6:33am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Peter, one of the indicators for a good run of YFT in NZ has been a good run of smaller YFT in Fiji. Last season there was a good run of small (6-10 kg) YFT in Fiji in the winter which they had not had for a number of years and yet we still got no YFT. You may be right I hope you are but I am not holding my breath, at $2.20/litre for petrol and a 30 mile run out to 1000m I won't be doing it, just can't afford to prospect at that sort of money.

Of interest Peter very few YFT have been cauht out of Waihau Bay for at least 10 years and yet we have had some really good blue marlin years over this time.

Of interst I have heard that a large proportion of the YFT in OZ migrate up and down the east coast to the spawning grounds in the Coral Sea without ever leaving the 200 mile zone thus notm being targeted by the hundreds of long liners that are operating in international waters. This is the problem we face, huge numbers of longliners working between us and Fiji where it appears our YFT come from.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 8:31am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

When I say dirty water, convergence of two different bodys of water weed flotsum current.

usually associated with structure and headland.  but certainly upwellings.

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote atis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 9:56am
atis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Peter, I'm fairly new to game fishing. Could recommend a lure from your range for YFT?
Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 10:42am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by atis atis wrote:

Hi Peter, I'm fairly new to game fishing. Could recommend a lure from your range for YFT?
Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 10:45am
Platinum
Platinum

Atis, PM me your name and address and I'll send you 2 rigged ones. 
Nice to see at least one who is a positive thinker and has some imagination about possibilities and a little faith in their own abilities :)

Gowest, unlikely they'll be big enough concentrations to catch them on those lures, but you can always prove me wrong :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 10:46am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Who knows what's out there. Well be running a tuna lure or 2 this year also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 10:48am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lickindip Lickindip wrote:

silly question Question ... how many stripes were caught on the East/West this season just been vs the average? (or past year or 2)

are these figures available? anyone spread some light?
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 10:58am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Peter, the only yfin I've caught were on marlin lures and maybe 1 or 2 on hex heads so I too would be interested in your recomendations,on lures more targeted at yfin.
Obviously,feel free to send me rigged 1's also ,but pictures or names/descriptions would suffice,cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 12:51pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

silly question Question ... how many stripes were caught on the East/West this season just been vs the average? (or past year or 2)

are these figures available? anyone spread some light?
You could try hunting around on the NZSFC website for last years stats....and then report back to us. definitely up on previous years out of the manukau, but further south may not have changed much from the norm...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:01pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Peter Pakula Peter Pakula wrote:

Atis, PM me your name and address and I'll send you 2 rigged ones. 
Nice to see at least one who is a positive thinker and has some imagination about possibilities and a little faith in their own abilities :)

Gowest, unlikely they'll be big enough concentrations to catch them on those lures, but you can always prove me wrong :)

What kinda lures would you suggest Peter?
Did I read somewhere that they are taking a real liking to poppers and stick baits rathen than lures over in OZ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sure, but not that many were caught on poppers and stickbaits. Of the non skirted lure techniques the method that had the best results was finding things on the sounders and dropping jigs down to them. This was incredibly effective on Albacore on days where no fish were caught in the area using other methods.

There's lots of ways of catching all the species.

What didn't work were the guys trying to bait and switch them.

I'll answer the recommendations later re lures.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:04pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jigging up a YFT would be bloody good fun. Heard earlier this year that Rick Pollock on Persuit had a couple guys smoked when they were jigging for kings and he thought that they were most likely YFT so that is interesting.
Were many crews cubing for them do you know Peter?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

I imagine there were guys cubing, but I didn't get those reports.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Dog Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:55pm
Big Dog Fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Peter, Appreciate the advise!

What sort of Jigs do the NSW guys use for the Tuna? A  few years back when we were jigging off north reef we had drifted right off the pin and as my mate was winding in got a nice albacore on one of the old grim reaper Jigs. Never thought to Target Tuna this way but definitely going to give it a crack on the deep schools we often mark while out trolling for the beakies. Tuna on light jigging set ups would be awesome. 
Page  <12345 7>