Who's Been Filming?

Page  123 11>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's Been Filming?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:59pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

This is from last Sunday. Jack (camera man) actually thought he was taping for the whole fight, but only got the tail end. 

It was pretty exciting, as the fish kelped me twice and it was pretty hairy getting it out- especially because I was calling the fish for a good 3kg! Bloody strong fighter, and typical snapper smash and grab strike right when I was daydreaming.

Check out those harsh conditions!

Fish was in the low 40cm, I lost another one about the same and caught a decent number of mid-30s.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:04pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I think it makes for a better vid if you do a sweep around of the surrounding area before or after- although of course this might expose your spot x. 

This was my first attempt at videoing a fly capture, a lovely West Coast kahawai from Aotea harbour. Quite Blair Witch as you'll see.

I don't have a Go-Pro camera yet, but a friend has gifted me a tripod which I can clamp to my cranium for next time I'm solo fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:05pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Awful spot! That ledge is almost a wharf. Nice fish in beautiful conditions Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:07pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Ahab  Thumbs Up- definitely bigger than Craig's vintage kahawai ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:15pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks fellers. That ledge has done us very proud over the years. I caught my first 20lb snap there, and it has never failed to produce a feed. Funny though, it has never given up a keeper king, despite ticking all the right boxes ie current, bait etc.

It's a spot of dreams for snapper on fly though! Crystal waters and 10m straight down.

As I said before, Jack pulled out a floating $100 note there on Sun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 10:17pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A Vintage one I'm afraid, 8 years ago, my first yellowtail on fly with Maddog fraser and Morsie....

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 10:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

A Bit More Recent... with Russ Anderson...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 5:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A classic there Clark and looks like a great day on those big kahawai.

I've added Matto's great little snapper vid below. Wolfie's brilliant effort on my vintage juvenile kahawai I think I'll allow to sink into oblivion..  LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 9:36am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey Troutzilla , check your back catalogue , I seem to remember some documentation  from a couple of last years trips ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 8:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by matto matto wrote:

hey Troutzilla , check your back catalogue , I seem to remember some documentation  from a couple of last years trips ?

We are all arse deep in back catalogues right now LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 12:37am
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That **** kills me living in OZ, have just moved on from Perth to Esperance that has amazing water and good stocks of the humble Kahawai & Snapper, have just made a new pole for my GoPro -

So hoping to have some nice OZ footage for you all soon, all the best in 2013...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 6:16am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Here's the vid from a bloody good bloke who turned up with his iPhone. Sorry it's in three pieces, he emailed it to me so it had to be broken up, and I don't have the skills to splice it. You'll see my slide rig went off at the end of the fight, but didn't hook up (fortunately!).

You'll see near the end the kids get excited, that was when I asked if someone could take my picture. Great kids, and she took an excellent photo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:43am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

here's the future captain of the meola fly fishing club getting a kingie 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:08am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Fantastic vid Matto and great fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:15am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back at ya Ahab , I especially like the commentary where the kind lady filming points out to her kids how many rods you have LOL , that looks like a great location and those river mouths sound really interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:15am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome! Check out the grin Cool
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 3:57pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very niceClap
thats some fouly ground there ahab, bolody good effort

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:03am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Had a fantastic day on the rocks yesterday. Two big events: one we got visited by a great white shark, two, Michael Jenkins caught his first snap on a fly. There were three in the berley at our feet when this was taken- one about 6kg, one about 3kg and one about 1.5kg.

MJ selected the middle-sized one and fought it well. MJ is a lure-from-the-rocks afficionado, and caught several good pannies on rapalas, plus had some buzzes on his poppers. Not really fair to call him a "bait maggot" (also a bit hypocritical as I swim baits myself), although he did catch his biggest fish (6kg) on a butterflied maomao.

Here's me with my best fish of the day, nothing too huge. Caught a few more and missed the strike on a fish the size of MJ's. No kings showed up all day.

My brother Jack also got in on the action with a PB on fly- 47cm- the fly was once again a Worthington's Worm. Craig, that fly is a bloody killer! Might be your legacy to SWF!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:24am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nicely done!!
Did you get a pic of the shark? Did you dare to cast a fly in his direction?Shocked
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:27am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Tom
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Page  123 11>