Five gone mad at Whangaroa (take 3)

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Five gone mad at Whangaroa (take 3)
    Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 8:19pm
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The weather gods opened up a 12 hour gap on Saturday, after 3 cancelled trips this year with Boulder.  The Northland trees all leaned East until about midnight, which is about when we stopped supporting the local economy at the GF club.
We met Captain Phil at the wharf, and Boulder turned up a few minute later with ringin Cody, who had stolen his brother's spot (and rod) for the day.
Cheryl and Cody did the livebait bit, while Boulder gave me my first lesson in topwater; first lesson - hog the good side of the boat, or end up casting left handed like I did.LOL
Boulder yelled "I'm on", and then leant over the side while Phil reversed hard;  FAARK was the cry, and a very expensive piece of balsa went swimming solo.  Phil reckons there is actually a school of Carpenter fish at the entrance to the harbour.

Phils spots are so top secret, Boulder told me he would have to kill me , cut my nuts off, and then stuff them down my throat if I revealed anything; I asked if he could do it backwards so I could watch and join in the fun.

So we went jigging.  First drop for all of us gave fish on.....
PBs to Cody and Cheryl, and then Boulder started the dancing on the Jigstar 120 with me on the Three Kings 200.....

Phil did a fine job of developing knitting patterns on the sounder screen, or watching the Breakers replay, I am not sure if he ever got the Simrads tuned to Maori TV?
Cheryl kept coming back for more on the Catalina spin set
The Saragosa 8000 did well
So did the Jigstar 120 and JM UL

Kingfish - about 35, 4 came home, and one 10lb snapper Boulder bycatch!  Also spotted was a possible beakie (phil swore he saw a sickle, and later on Cheryl and I both saw a masssive blue and silver blur jump 200m off)

Thanks for a great day Boulder and Phil; we will be back.
Please make sure you have the full 'witty' Plug-In installed on your Internet Browser, or the default 'half-witty' output may affect your profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 8:25pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot boys and girls...that Boulder is a fishey hua...sweet report Tipper!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JIMMY NAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 8:28pm
JIMMY NAIL View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool pic's Tim!!
Looks like a mean day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 8:30pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Awesome! Is that Boulder pulling up a fish or having a sleep in the last photo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 8:34pm
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

Awesome! Is that Boulder pulling up a fish or having a sleep in the last photo?
I was forbidden to post the sleeping photos, but do admit it was difficult to tell the difference sometimes.  He did a great job of holding his side of the boat down.
Please make sure you have the full 'witty' Plug-In installed on your Internet Browser, or the default 'half-witty' output may affect your profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 8:40pm
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JIMMY NAIL JIMMY NAIL wrote:

Cool pic's Tim!!
Looks like a mean day.
Thanks James, it was a very good morning jigging, that turned into a livebait day, that went back to jigging...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 9:52pm
NZFisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Tim, good to see you got into them - weather played long for once!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 9:55pm
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the weather gods loved us, great trip out, great fishing, and a gentle 'reminder' on the way home of the how quickly the wind can change quickly in the Far North.
Smoker doing overtime tonight  Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 10:49pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

everyone is looking pretty happy in those pic's Tipper, Thumbs Up
Capt Phil do's it again....
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laserice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 10:54pm
laserice View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yes that was one of the more fun days jigging Big smile Big smile
work hard and fish harder!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 10:56pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mean trip out by the looks. must have been a bit of fun with all the light rods on the boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aaron32987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 11:05pm
Aaron32987 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh no, not Boulder's very special little carpenter, I hope. RIP if it wasCry

Great to hear you finally got out there, next time for us will be the third time lucky hopefully - we were meant to go today, but good sense prevailed with the forecasted 20knts plus...

Nice report + pics.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:42am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fishing Addiction Fishing Addiction wrote:

must have been a bit of fun with all the light rods on the boat
definitely changed my mind on rod weights a bit, Boulder was fishing 120, and Cheryl 180, and they had no more trouble , just had to take a bit more care.  I am very pleased to have gone from JM 300 to 200 - I can fish for longer periods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:44am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Capt Phil does it again....
He was a very fine host - he did keep yelling "fish!" all day - so we did Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:23am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent  report Tipper, Capt Phil certainly can put you on to fish no doubt about that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:28am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by worksux worksux wrote:

Capt Phil certainly can put you on to fish no doubt about that.
  when he starts naming the fish from distinctive sounder sign, you know he's been to that spot a few times LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:50am
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice report Tim. It sure was another choice Boulder guiding mission. The weather played nice and the fish performed their roles perfectly  (and so they should, I've been training the long enough)

Old mate Boulder, looking more handsome than ever, started the day in the most expensive way after following my suggestion to change to a noisier stickbait, bolted on his favorite carpenter and cast it into the 'honey hole' only to have it followed and then smashed at the boat by a big green thug which just kept going straight under the boat. Even the sound of the engine reversing at full noise couldn't drown out the girly squeels of anguish as 'old mate' got smoked.

Boulder's obviously not too good at picking his fights because after landing some solid fish he tried it on with another thug, which after holding him on the rail for about quarter of an hour, flicked on the after burners and KO'd  the old boy. Not looking quite so swish by now, Boulder admitted that in the entire fight he never gained line back. The old fellas no slouch on big fish so I would have liked to see that one.

Meantime Cody, Tim and Cheryl were hooking up solid fish at a consistent rate and all were having their own fights with the heavyweight greenbacks, not all of them won I must say. 

Cody having a bout of dropsies remained well composed, only repeated a few of the bad words Boulder had taught him on the way up after pulling the hooks more than once.

Tim on the other hand wasn't so shy and let us all know when it didn't go to plan. Those squigly lines on the sounder weren't knitting they were actually subtle knot tying instructions Tim. Gotta say though, despite a dodgy arm (you tested my medical kit on that one mate) Tim stuck with it all day and landed some excellent fish, (and a sausage but thats another story).

Cheryl, well This lady proved that girls can not only play with the boys but show them a thing or two at the same time. A gutsy effort on some really good fish and a technique that would put many to shame. After a comment about having had enough after a couple of fish early on, I figured she would just spectate for the rest of the day. Oh no every time I turned around she had gone back to the rod and had another bloody fish on. Legend!

Apart from the fun of having a neat crew on board one of the highlights of the day was watching a current line move past us towards the coast, turning the water from a green 18 degrees into clean blue water of 19 degrees. Look fishy? you have no idea how much I wanted to slow drag a livey up that current line.

Thanks for the company Tim, Cheryl, Boulder and Cody. A neat day in Northland.

Team Jennian at work

Cheryl in a bit of trouble

Tim enjoying one that did knot get away

Taking sportfishing charters to the next level.
Blue Water Adventures Ltd
Whangaroa / Bay of Islands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:26am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nicely done guys was a great day at work to, bugger all wind and hot as, thanks for reminding me of what I would rather have been doing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:48am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Phil, my 'nota knot' technique during the middle of the day was actually part of my catch and release policy, just not sure how to get my jig back though :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:57am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Indeed the weather gods treated us fondly on Saturday. Tipper had booked 4 trips with me and this was to be the last throw of the dice after 3 previous trips were binned to bad weather  and a boat breakdown.
I was a tad anxious that this would be a real life winner and was not disappointed.

Bait was easy to catch so I left them to it and fired a few stickbaits around. Yes Tim the starboard side if favoured for casting forward and the port is the go for casting asternBig smile Besides I usually fish from that position as it allows me to sit and contemplate between dropsCool

Aaron yes it was my precious 75gm bluefish that got taken. That lure has pulled me 2 over 30 on top water both at the Ranfurly and 1 at the Cavalies as well as Roosters and others over in Mexico and performed superbly the previous weekend at Schooner to grab another 10 or so fish on one of Ginga,s trips. A real treasure taken as tax by a Northland Hoodilum. MONGREL FISH.  First thing I did on my return home was to go into the reserve pile and select its Identical sister and clip on some jewellery.

A testament to the carpenter paint job is that after 40 odd trips and many fish that lure still looked near perfect and performed well
Heres hoping that its sister works as hard for me.

Out to the pins it was no surprise to see another 5 boats stacked up and fishing hard such is life Phill and your success posted here have proved as it did in Tairua to be a good reason for people to follow and copy your spots
Fist drop and they were well into it with reel life showing the way to the other boats. This continued for much of the day. Yes I got done for all money on a fish I lost 50m to before it had me off on the bottom. I was not alone in feeling that I had been done though
Must try and post a few pictures soon

Thanks again Phill for living up to the hype and bull**** I told my customers Big smile

Page  12>