TOO MUCH Marlin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOO MUCH Marlin
    Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:01pm
Silent View Drop Down
New User
New User

Gidday fellow forum members,I'm new to the discussion group.My name is Dave (aka Silent) Knight and I recently moved up from Mars country(Wgtn) and now live halfway between Kaeo and Whangaroa in the Far North.
Two weeks ago a mate also moved up this way from Wellie,bringing his boat with him.The boat is a 6m McLay named "TOO MUCH".Awesome sea boat that has handled many a trip out Wgtn Hbr to the Trench and out West to Hunters.
   Last weekend(Sat)we decided to explore our new playground for the first time.
   Saturday up early before dawns crack,headed to the local wharf to catch some livies.Got a few Mackkies and headed out of harbour.Weather forecast was for E-SE 20-25Kn,low drizzly rain,vis soso.Still,Shane and myself were bloody keen to suss out a GPS spot he had smarmied out of someone.Set up the big gear once outside harbour and trolled N-NE at 9 knots until we reached the mark.At the mark we pulled in the gear and did a drop for Groper,catching only a 3ft Tope.Not much else happening for a while so pulled up lines and trolled around again.Soon we had a strike on the smaller rod,I took it and had a small Albie to the boat in next to no time,then lost it reaching for the trace.Lost another soon after,this time Shane had the trace and proceeded to rip the Albies face from it's body when he attempted to "HURL" it into the boat,BUGGER.Third time lucky though,another hook-up,this time a gentle approach on the trace by Shane and I had a new species capture.A nice little shiny blue/blackish Albie lay at our feet,YAHOOOO!
   Trolled a bit more then around half 10,Shane driving,me looking at the lures,I thought I saw something,a stick,appear behind the closest lure only 10 mtrs behind the boat.I blinked and said(yelled,swore) "what the f#*k",then Isaw it's dorsal fin and tail,turned to Shane "THERE'S A MARLIN IN THE LURES" mate or words to that effect.We both watched the Marlin for what seemed an eternity(was only a few seconds),shimmering in and swiping at the closest lure.It stuck and took off,reel screaming,line peeling off at a rate of knots.Shane grabbed his gimble,I took the wheel and said to him "what do I do",he turned and said 'F#*K,I don't know".Both of us haven't been in this scenario before,seeing one take one of our lines.The moment didn't last too long,the fish dropped the lure,but we were Yahoooing and Buzzzing for ages.
Weather looked more ominous coming toward us so headed in closer,trolling,until we got to another GPS spot.No sooner had we got there when a HHHUUUGGGEEE! boil-up went past us.Threw jigs into the frothy melee and nailed heaps of rat kings,went on for a good hour following them around.Released all of them and had bloody sore arms after that.Must be getting old in my old age!
Weather really closed in with no vis of land,so followed GPS back to lee of Stephensons'Island.Checked out the reef at top end,speed jigging for kings,no luck so headed back into Whangaroa Harbour for a fish inside.
Caught lots of small Snapps so called it quits after a 12 hour day,but what an awesome first trip out of Whangaroa for a couple of boys from Wellie.

P.S.Sorry for the long spiel everyone but it was bloody awesome.

Tight lines, <silent)))><.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:15pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great report silent..look forward to hearing more about your adventures...welcome to the far north itll only get better
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:15pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome report Silent and Ive got to say congrats on your choice of new location, your a lucky bugg3r.

We make two trips up there from Welly every year, she's a long drive but even the winter trip is worth it for a crack at those big snaps.

These fulla's on this list willsort you out on what to do when the stick face turns up next time...well done mate.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:16pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Great stuff Silent but you shoul keep all that quiet!

Next thing, Scarpie, Pioneer, Jo, Cookie et all will be heading up north to make the Island top heavy.

Beauddy first post, can see we will enjoy your imput.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:18pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well done mate good stuff well you have the bug now and as Jill [god bless her ] of toots radio would say go get another one. you said you did not know what to do, just drive the boat in the direction the marlin is going and fight it from that side of the boat, the name of the boat was the same as my brothers before he sold it to build another now a 44 footer he is calling it *much more*
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Silent .... no need to apologise for a post like that... maybe apologise for being from welly but the story was fantastic!

Excellent stuff, us blokes that have never caught a beakie thingy all wish we was there. Welcome to the forum too.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wayne.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:20pm
Wayne.L View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great report silent. Sounds like you're still buzzing. A marlin in the gear is certainly a sight you'll never forget.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:23pm
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

wicked first outing. btw there is trouble headed your way soon

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=7860&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1

Best batten down the hatches.

"We dont know how lucky we are..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 11:49pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Silent... well done mate seeing is beleaving its a awesome sight alright and you only need to spot one now and then to keep you going back... then when it all comes together your one more step into thinking you have it sussed when the next one comes along and changes the game making you rethink everything you learnt about the first one... if your on 24kg and once the marlin makes its mind up about which direction its going to go your looking at 45mins to 60mins to break that oneway ticket so pace your self and settle back and trully injoy the moment let the boat bring the fish to you by driving out to one side of the fish keeping the line tight by either having a bow in the water this is normal when trying to reteive lots of line and the speed of the boat is faster than the fish is swiming..... or have the line high and tight plus pointing at the fish with the boat going forward..... all this is best kept out the same side as your driving from...... never stop the boat unless it dives under it then you can throw it into reverse and back out away from the line if you head the stern back to where the fish was before it dived will help clear the line quickly and also bring the line back on the side you can best see whats happing..... hope that helps, now go enjoy silent........ i wish you many more encounters...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 12:56am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one mate.  Adrenalin overdose, the most fun you can have with your pants on. Shame he fell off, he was taking line too, you damn near had him.  Marlin have a real hard mouth, so make sure hooks are sharp, and always keep that rod well bent and line tight. Main thing really is to keep him on for the first 5-10 mins while he's hot and running/jumping around.  With the fishing you guys are seeing, shouldn't be long before you get another chance. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matt B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 3:35am
Matt B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bloody wicked report, Silent.

All this talk of marlin makes a wellingtonian think like an Alaskan Goldrusher   .....that is that "farher north" should be the cry.

BOP looks pretty good to me......

Put your vote where your mouth is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 6:47am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Great going Silent. Welcome to the forum and hope to see plenty more reports like that.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 6:49am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome stuff Silent...that report ranks up there in the top 10 for sure...welcome to the forums and hope to hear more from you in the near future!!!

Absolutely Postively Northland!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 4:01pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nicely scribed review Silent Knight. Take heed of the wise folk here and sooner or later a beakie will stick.
Might have to change our visiting plans to Feb next year instead of Xmas! Just make sure my room is ready...
Keep the reports coming. I'm sure you will get that 19.7lb snapper soon...

By the way, best not to mention anything about your banana fetish here
Say hi to Shane for us.

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2005 at 6:36pm
Silent View Drop Down
New User
New User

Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement on my 1st posting everyone.Also big thanks to B/Asparagus,Lethal and dustin for the great tips on playing Marlin.Like ya say Lethal,it's the start of a big learning curve.Hope we can put info into action when we are out there tomorrow(Sun).

Hey Mars!What banana fetish?mmmmm bananas.If my Snapper only goes 19.7lb i won't mind buddy.

Tight lines everyone.<SILENT)))><
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2005 at 10:45pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

your welcome silent and if theres anything i can do to help like eat your smoked marlin etc let us know always willing to help but seriously go get em and yeah if i can help let us know.

BA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 9:17pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK, I believe Silent here is being true to name. Unless he's taking the p#ss, he sent me a text on Sunday morning detailing a top capture.
Waiting for the details....waiting, waiting....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 10:44pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Silent, thats a great report mate and shame about the dropped Marlin, I'm sure there will be plenty of more chances soon.

So Shane is living north now, that means more 'puka and bluenose for the rest of us! 

Say hi from us still locked up in Wellie and look forward to when you next report a landed beakie!

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2005 at 1:33pm
Silent View Drop Down
New User
New User

Thanks Chris,It was an awesome day.Shane is right in his element up here with the fishing opportunities on his front doorstep.
The Puka & Bluenose are breathing a sigh of relief I bet.
Tight lines mate,<Silent))))><