Electric trailer winch.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric trailer winch.
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:40am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been having problems with a damaged shoulder and now find it increasingly difficult to manually winch my 6m Ali boat back on the trailer.
Looking at putting a  quality electric winch on the trailer that is reliable. Probably like something that is also able to be used with a handle and used by remote. 
What do you guys use.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 12:42pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do not get the super cheap one's they crap and wont last at all.  try TM listing  483920895
or them ones they last ages and wont crap out. always cover the winch so rain don't get to it all the time as well cause it helps it last longer..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 2:11pm
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am using Powerwinch model 712A not on a boat trailer on a silage feedout trailer instead, loading big round bales and it  gets plenty of use use over 300 bales over 3 months of the year.
I have worn one of these winches out, it did over 10yrs of use, thats over 3000 loads it was still operational but the bearings had got very worn I replaced it instead of rebuild, it  had one set of bearings replaced during its life and a few other small things you would expect with this amount of work I don't think its a fault with the winch just the usage and road dust mud etc from the work I have put it too. I have learnt to pull the covers off now and then and get some grease into the bearings,they are open ball races. I also have had no trouble getting parts.
 I have replaced with the same brand and model, the new winch is now into its 3rd or 4th season.
With the use I have been giving these winches I get about 1 1/2 seasons out of the wire before replacing, this season I am trying a soft rope  for the first time have only just begun using it this winter and seems to be ok so far but have removed the "wire leveler' as it is not needed on soft winch rope.
 These winches have provision to put a manual handle on, I have only used the handle once.
 They make a range of winches so you need to look at the specs for what you need.

Hope this helps ask if you need any more info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 6:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

I had the 4ton winch from S/C big black ******* it was to, went through 3 of them. the dam bearings and clutch rusted out after a year or so. even when covered. so now we have the 3ton hand winch from TM welded it on for 20 bucks and as a 2sp winch it's freaking awesome to use :)
I though electric winches was the bee's knees. my how wrong i was, and i see now why other boat users was always pissed at me for spending 5 or 10 minutes or more hooking up winding it on and moving off. should of done the hand winch years ago...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:59am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've got an American built Superwinch on my trailer.  Was expensive at the time but freaking awesome and don't regret it.  2 years old and no problems whatsoever.  Has wireless and corded remotes.
Think also about your tow vehicle.  These winches need a lot of power - mine is rated at around 200amps at 12V/ full load and to set the vehicle up properly cost around $500 including heavy cable front to back and cut off switch at the battery.  Cut off switch is important if you consider the implications otherwise in a rear end accident as you've essentially got powerful exposed terminals - 200A would weld the two vehicles together.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 10:22am
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds good, i had the whole lot wired up as you had, but the cut off switch failed, and we ended up with the car on fire from the battery, it just melted down. yes the yanks know how to build winches for marine useage..pity kiwis rely on imports....what speed do you get from your winch?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 1:44pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The Superwinch winds a lot faster than I can.  It takes me 3-4 minutes to retrieve my 9m solo on a good ramp.
The fire you had was probably a result of cabling and switchgear not rated for the current drawn.  Not many people realise just how much power these things need.  The cables from my battery to the back of the car are a lot thicker than jumper leads.  Anything less is just a fuse.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 2:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

3 or 4 solo that impressive :)the cables was rated but went with what was in the package. never again.. the cut off switch was faulty, and power just kept heading to $3,250 dollars +gst later plus 985:50 for the HD Evo 6 clutch plate to be replaced as well. sure made a find day at the ramp to. thank god they drove it around a bit before saying all clear or they would not have picked up the manual clutch problem. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aidanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:02pm
aidanc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

trogan does one, there around $1000
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Afternoon Delight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 6:42pm
Afternoon Delight View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

these guys http://winch.co.nz/categories/runva-atv-winches are great and from my experiance about the same quality as superwinch for lots less cost. They back up the product with parts and servicing as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YellowV198 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 10:46pm
YellowV198 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi worksux. I have a powerwinch to pull my 198 on the best thing I did. It has a wireless remote so i can retrieve without the mrs getting her feet wet.

We had a smaller one rated to 3500 kilos but its just could cope with the 198 on the beach as where we retrieve its quite a slope so it would get 3/4 then cut out and I would hand winch it in. It was running off the tractors battery but we just thought it was the weight.

I still have if if your intrested been meaning to put it on trade me for a while.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 7:12am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks fellas. I'll do a study up on the winches mentioned and go from there. My boat would probably weight fully loaded around 1200kg. Do you think it better to get one that is rated higher than the ones with my boat weight recommendation.
Those Runva winches look interesting and well worth a call, and v198, pm on its way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 4:48pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hi dave i have a powerwinch 912 for pulling sanity - welcome to have a look at my set up...its a low raito gearing but suggest somethind a little higher for your light boat..lost count of how many pulls its done and have had a bush in the motor pop out but was easily fixed and easy to reinstall...good back up to by trojan boys
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!