Marlin in the harbour?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin in the harbour?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2003 at 9:09am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Talking to the owner of Gemini marine yesterday, he said he heard or knew someone that was trolling in the Waitemata for Kahawai and foul hooked a Marlin! It was only small 20 - 30 Kg, and was hooked in one of its fins. They took a photo and released it.

Anyone heard anything about this? Fact or Bulls$%%%

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2003 at 9:18am
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

it could be true as i know of 1 definate occasion when a small stripie that was sick washed up on the flats by the maola reef (dunno if thats the right spelling) thats the reef across from the sugar factory.

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 10:25pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bet the fly guys will be keen to get one of these then.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 8:24am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

When was this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 1:48pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best try and get a hold of the photo for a definitive ID...till then, it sounds just like all the others
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 4:57pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 5:19pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's true! A mate's mate's mother's uncle's neighbour's great grandfather's nephew's god son saw it.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 5:30pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With an original post date of 2003 I think it'll be even bigger now too
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 5:35pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

With an original post date of 2003 I think it'll be even bigger now too
LOL
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 5:37pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

11yrs 6 months to question a claim?and still no photo
I have the answer bloody big piper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 7:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Closest one I've heard one of alive, was swiming was off gardners/rangitoto when skippies were running off  the bays a few years ago.  We don't talk about it much.  Was seen by a mate of mine who was out softbaiting for whom marlin are a non-target species.  This fella gets the odd 20 pound snapper locally and does not need to spin the truth.  So I believe him.  And I've seen a 20 pound snapper still flapping in his boot caught just over the way.  He has also seen a turtles and seals, rockfishing off bays. 

Ripleys, believe it or not?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 8:06pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Peter reynolds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 8:23pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can neither confirm nor deny, Steve.

P.S. Are you selling an as new 37 kg calstar fully rollered rod in your $60 rod clear out, which I could buy and have delivered to my door... in tip top condition?

All the best in Aussie -some good fisihing over there too, especialy north of Brisbane before Newcastle ...where my bro in law hangs out.  They sometimes catch more marlin in a weekend than most of us see in a season.  Not sure where you're heading -but best of luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 9:27pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no mate sorry and they would be way more that 60 you can get em on tm for about 700
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 10:45pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Back to the topic (even if it is 11 years old), marlin seem to find their way into harbours elsewhere so why not here?

and

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:38am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

There is at least one marlin in the HG almost every year...seen 'em Smile no mystery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:56am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coast guard hauled one that had dies and washed up on Wellington Reef this summer, they were called as it was thought to be a body... they're out there but who fishes for them, not many so not many caught I guess..
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 9:04am
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@stonefish

#Just wondering where was the picture taken
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 9:18am
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks like cabo San Lucas Mexico? "The picture"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 9:25am
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, its from Cabo apparently. Not my photo, just one I saw on facebook.
Page  12>