WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE YOUR FORUM HANDLE?

Page  123 7>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE YOUR FORUM HANDLE?
    Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 12:21pm
sulla View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this topic. If there is already a thread in this vein on the site, please mods, feel free to do what you have to do.

Sooo...I chose "sulla" because the original Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix is a hero of mine (I'm a Roman history geek). He was a ruthless ******* with a warped sense of humour (I'm a warped ******* with a ruthless sense of humour so there's a kind of symmetry!). He had the chance to be the first Roman Emperor (about a century before Augustus), but gave it up because he wanted to drink and root himself to death instead of being burdened with having to wipe Rome's collective stinky bum. LEGEND.

My sig adorned his gravestone - "NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY".

That's my story. What's yours?
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:02pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BLUE VEINED PURPLE HEADED CUSTARD CHUCKER  was to long so blue asparagus in stead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:14pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

from memory his brother became emperor didnt he?
so many emperors with about 35 or 40 in the 2nd centry alone
supprisingly, silver coins from the Roman area are dirt cheap. I own a few coins from the time of Christ and BC. You can buy them from $40

Also supprised at the size of the people back then, a large ring worn by them is 18 to 20mm accross with the average being about 14mm to 16mm. Now measure your wedding ring, 20 to 24mm?
The Roman people were possibly only 5 to 5'6 tall.
Not really what we think is it.
I also enjoy Roman history but know very little of it.

Barrie because I wanted to make sure I didnt forget my handle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:44pm
sulla View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

from memory his brother became emperor didnt he?
No; he did have a half brother Publius (who'd been adopted by one of the richest men in Rome) that he found out about later in life, but he was killed by Sulla's arch enemy Marius for his money. If you want to learn more about Roman history Barrie, check out www.unrv.com - an excellent site and just like this one if you have questions you want answered.
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:58pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers for that
Got me wondering now who was the emperor that had the brother that didnt want to be emperor.
So civilised but also so brutal.
Have you bought any coins or rings? Makes studing those parts of history more almost personal.
I will book mark that site.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 2:02pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great looking site
thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 2:12pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I start with Zambezi a few months before this one, but forgot the account details, so started a new one as Zambizi,

I love/hate bull sharks, they're just so awesome.  Zambezi shark is another name for them.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 2:13pm
sulla View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

cheers for that
Got me wondering now who was the emperor that had the brother that didnt want to be emperor.
I think the emperor you have in mind is Claudius - he was after his brother Caligula who was the third emperor from memory. The Praetorian guard got sick of Caligula (he was mad), killed him, and acclaimed Claudius emperor against his wishes.
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loryda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 2:56pm
loryda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sulla - Cool thread.  I thought Sulla had.. "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full" on his gravestone though?  I may be wrong, im not that historically inclined.

I chose my name because all my friends know me.. Wink

Cheers
Alex.
"We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."

-Bill Hicks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 3:18pm
sulla View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by loryda loryda wrote:

Sulla - Cool thread.  I thought Sulla had.. "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full" on his gravestone though?  I may be wrong, im not that historically inclined
That's the tag on Sulla's gravestone that history has embellished. Historians alive at the time to see his tomb (Cornelians were inhumed instead of cremated) attest that his actual tag was more straight to the point, although with Latin (as with Maori!!) you have room for artistic licence when translating!!
Loryda is a cool handle bro. Makes me think of the Cheech and Chong song!!
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:19pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Mangre short for, manolito montoya

or Mangare town centre
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:38pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

Mangre short for, manolito montoya

or Mangare town centre

Ha, the High Chaparral...very cool PaulCool

or is it cos you come from Mangere?LOL

Me, it was Cachelot which is old french spelling for Sperm Whale...but too many folks ask why Cache... so I changed it back to Catchelot...why cos I catch sht loadsLOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 6:35pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIhrUiR8Pc
we don't catch marlin when Iam not on the boat....
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:40pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Because I was becoming an old barsteward...... My handle has a certain 'ring' about it and can't think of anything better at the moment!   LOL
Also, because there was already an "Old Fart" listed on the forums...... 
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 10:20pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Red Rabbit was a fly I was tying and using a lot when I first started posting on internet sites (less so these days).
Maybe it's time for a change? Possibly "Wide Load" the name of my boat. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 10:59pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roman legionairies had to be 6ft to join a legion.... big buggers for their day I guess.
When I saw "Sulla" as a name, I thought "huh! there was a roman called that weren't there?" I am so glad my general knowledge hasn't totally left me yet! :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 12:02am
sulla View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Roman legionairies had to be 6ft to join a legion.... big buggers for their day I guess.
When I saw "Sulla" as a name, I thought "huh! there was a roman called that weren't there?" I am so glad my general knowledge hasn't totally left me yet! :-)
Yep! It's a bit of a geeky handle, but I'm comfortable with my geekiness. It's a shame that they don't teach Ancient History very well in college anymore. I wont comment on when I suspect you went to school Capt Asparagus!!
What's up with all the Asparagii on this site anyway ie Capt Asparagus, Blue Asparagus...Question
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 6:18am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

BLUE VEINED PURPLE HEADED CUSTARD CHUCKER  was to long so blue asparagus in stead

Don't get him started, no one is allowed to mention this...this is bad it brings out things that are chained and sealed below decks of the UG.Ouch

goes further back than that, back past the boat called "Blue Asparagus"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 6:24am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I honestly have doubts about that, The size of rings that were worn suggests that they were a lot smaller.
Cyclops was based on fact and he was a giant at an estimated 6'6''

I have bought a few of the largest rings and the largest I have been able to find is 18 to 19mm but there are plenty of 13 to 16mm
Page  123 7>