Paihia fishing spots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tom001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paihia fishing spots
    Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 3:47pm
Tom001 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys, 

I've booked a batch for a week over new years up in Paihia and will be taking my small inflatable up. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for spots close to Paihia/Russell? 

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 4:02pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tapeka Point off Russell is not bad for starters.

PM Pjay he is the local small boat expert up there and if your lucky he may even show you a few spotsEmbarrassed
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 4:20pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would have a wee look in the 'river' above the Opua marina. There are a couple of holes that are on the charts (I think) and for a small boat they are quite accessible and relatively sheltered. Surprising how many snapper are up that river at times, just seems a bit funny to be fishing there instead of Tapeka Point etc where people tend to normally go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 4:33pm
Jimm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i found that the rocks across the bay to the eastern side of tapeka point are easier to access and there are plenty of good ledges with deep dropoffs and strong currents along that coastline, last time went up there it was nonstop kahawai and trevs, did get a few snapper too, strayline with no weight or little weight. 

the swells can get big on a windy day so just make sure you have an exit plan in case you lose track of time and get stuck!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:02pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bramptons or tapeka pt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tom001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 2:49pm
Tom001 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys much appreciated 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NO-LIMITS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 12:26am
NO-LIMITS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you have a nice n/e breze and a in comming tide place your self 200 odd meters north of the brampton bouy and try flicking around soft bait or un weighted pilchards.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dabizket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:52pm
Dabizket View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tagit,  what time of year is best up the river
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:10pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to launch my 12fter next to the boat ramp at Tapeka beach all the time. You dont have to go far that whole area is one big fishing spot. Take sum bait flies and some burley as there is alot of piper in that area which make great bait. Lots of Snapper, Trevally,Kahawai and rays to keep you entertained.. I'll be up there over new years as well.

Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Suprateam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 5:09pm
Suprateam View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I caught my best fish at Paihia! a 4kg Snapper! beauty! spent 3 days at Paihia living in a campervan and I would do it again right now if I could. We also mainly fished at Tapeka Point. Caught all sorts of fish there but only kept a max of three each day.. just enough to have a good feed after a hard day fishing... so yeah... Tapeka Point rocks! I can only recommend going on a fishing trip in a campervan as it gives you total freedom as to where to go and sometimes you can park up right at the spot. superb beach front real estate! (we rented through www.procamper.co.nz - fantastic service by the way). Enjoy New Zealand's coast & Fish Responsibly!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Live b8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 9:38pm
Live b8 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, heading to the bay of islands for two week camping trip on Urapukapuka Island, did the same last year.
like always fishing somewhere new its hard to find a good spot, so fishing was not that productive as i thought the BOI's would be, not to say we did not eat seafood most days.
So may question is this, does any body have some GPS spots for Snapper and Kingfish.
Will be heading out to the hole in the rock to try some jigging for kingfish around bird rock, but thats all I've read in the magazines

Thanks very much
Live b8